Lightning

Whats the difference in these converters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005 | 07:14 PM
|
Whats the difference in these converters?

I am looking at 3 different converters. I can get a 2600 stall from Dante's Mod Perf. for $550. A 2800 stall from Dynamic for $690 or a 3000 stall from Yank for $895. Aside from stall speeds what is the big price difference. I have heard good things about all of them. Is it just the name you are paying for or what? Is it worth $350 more for the Yank?

Old 02-09-2005 | 07:18 PM
My buddy has a yank 3500 in his vette and it's one of the best feeling converters I've ever ridden around with. The shifts are tight, and it works great at the track, it has also outlasted 2 transmissions.

But usually everyone goes with the PI in our trucks, but it's good to see someone outside the box.

ByByBird on here has the tranny from Dante's, maybe he will chime in.

Old 02-09-2005 | 07:21 PM
HI!... I'd pay the $980.00 for the P.I converter. Oh wait, I did! LOL! I went with a 3000 stall *STALLION* PRECISION INDUSTRIES converter. I bought the 3 disc set-up top of the line unit. Warrenteed for 2 years for up to 1500H.P (flywheel) and free stall adjustment for the 1st year. I ballooned 4 converters in my truck before I bought the P.I. So far so good.

Old 02-09-2005 | 07:38 PM
|
Ya, like I said I've heard good things about all 3 I listed. Tons of good things about the Yanks, but mostly from chevy guys also. The PI on the other hand, I've heard more people complain about than rave about. I know they are the most popular though. Maybe it's just an odds thing.

Old 02-09-2005 | 08:51 PM
i'm out of the box...i purchased a pro torque brand. their claim to fame besides increased stall speed is 2.4 tourque multiplication factor.that really is evident in my heavy 4 door. do a search they have a website

Old 02-09-2005 | 11:15 PM
Originally posted by FLOORD U
i'm out of the box...i purchased a pro torque brand. their claim to fame besides increased stall speed is 2.4 tourque multiplication factor.that really is evident in my heavy 4 door. do a search they have a website
I find this statement very misleading. All converter manufactures offer increased stall speed. This kind of reminds me of when people say “I got a stall converter”. All converters have a stall speed. If they didn't then the engine would die when you came to a complete stop.

Also the comment about Pro Torque claiming fame for a 2.4 torque multiplication is kind of a strange thing to say. PI converters offer a 2.53 to 1 torque multiplication and Yank offers a range between 1.6 - 3.0 to 1 multiplication.

The main things I suggest looking for in a performance converter are:
[list=1][*]Do they offer the stall speed for your application? The tuners that I have dealt with suggest a 2400 stall for our power curve.[*]What kind of lock-up clutch design do they use? A better lock-up clutch equals less slip when engaged which yields better trap speeds.[*]What kind of warranty do they offer?[*]What is the cost of getting the stall speed changed? This can be important since the stall speed you get is a result of how much torque your engine is making.[*]Last but not least, who is using them? I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig for something that takes almost half a day to pull out if it screws up.[/list=1]

I'm running the PI converter myself but I wouldn't pass up Greg Evans' Total Domination converter if I was in the market. Greg knows these transmissions better than anyone in the world. In fact, the only reason I'm not running his converter is because it wasn't out when I needed one.

Hope this helps...

--Steele

Old 02-10-2005 | 03:02 AM
There's a pretty decent thread about converters going on over at NHTOC, just sort of a general discussion about them..

http://www.nhtoc.com/forum/showthrea...5&pagenumber=1

It kind of got off on a tangent, but some good old things I wrote are in it.

G

Old 02-10-2005 | 07:20 AM
My 2,600rpm from Dante is

Old 02-10-2005 | 06:34 PM
|
Originally posted by Factory_Tech
There's a pretty decent thread about converters going on over at NHTOC, just sort of a general discussion about them..

http://www.nhtoc.com/forum/showthrea...5&pagenumber=1

It kind of got off on a tangent, but some good old things I wrote are in it.

G
What is the best stall speed for a street strip truck in the high to mid 11's in your opinion. Does the higher stall effect fuel economy?

Old 02-10-2005 | 10:41 PM
Stall speed selection has nothing to do with how quick the truck is in the 1/4. You select a stall speed based on the power band of the engine. A large displacement engine such as ours will naturally have a low power band. With a positive displacement roots type supercharger on top that power band moves even lower. Your stall speed should be as close as possible to the beginning of your power band. In our case that would be somewhere in the mid 2k.

Stall speed can affect your fuel economy in some cases but not in this case. With a lock-up converter stall speed will have no affect on economy.

--Steele

Old 02-11-2005 | 02:37 AM
That's not exactly true Steele, a higher stall does affect fuel economy, but with a lockup converter it's not very much. The optimal stall for a lightly modded Lightning is around 2500, going up or down about 100 is all you need for less than insane mods. My converter stalls at 24-2600 (and stall speed is really a range more than a single static figure)

G

Old 02-11-2005 | 09:39 AM
I feel converters are a very personal item[not that way]you have to be honest about what has been done to your vehicle and what you expect it to do.also what your vehcile weight is and the motor number and where they come in at.All of this pays into how good or efficent the converter will be.Brands are important but look at the after the sale help too.Sometimes you think you are getting a great deal untill you phone them after they sold it to you and you are on eternal hold or get half answers.sTan

Old 02-11-2005 | 10:13 AM
IMO a stall on a "bolt on" gen 2 is not a good bang for the buck as far as 1/4 mile ETs go.

Having said that.. I presonally like mine for many other reasons. (a suncoast 2500)

Rich

Old 02-11-2005 | 04:24 PM
|
If I get .3 out of a stall and MT et street drag radials from my 11.86 with 1.76 60' on Nitto's and stock converter, I'll be happy.

Old 02-14-2005 | 10:19 AM
words

I watched my Factory Tech street converter be built (yes, the entire thing). I also was shown the insides of the some the big names and how they make it stall.

Anyone can make a converter stall higher, but HOW it's done is the question. I also was shown specifications and tolerances on how precise the machining can be. It's amazing how exact it is; it's an art.

A lot of other 'special touches' are inside that convertor too...
my nickel,
John
p.s. - thanks Gregg

Quick Reply: Whats the difference in these converters?