Lightning

Update on Sniper

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005 | 03:14 PM
Any word on offering the software itself without their PDA for those of us that have very capable PDA’s to begin with?

That could possible be a great selling point, depending on how many people actually have PDA’s. A decent PDA with the software they are offering (standard Window’s software) would cost approx. $300, so for those like me, why spend another $300 on another PDA?

Old 03-30-2005 | 11:23 AM
Update on this? Anyone? I need a handheld tuner or Laptop tuner STAT. Damn 22's have my speedo all freaky.

Old 03-30-2005 | 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Herb101
Everything that I know about it is on page 139 of the April '05 edition of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords

The Spartan caught my eye with:
- Data logging at 200 samples per second

The other 'cool' features are the GPS options, and the G-Tech like features. I've not seen price and I've not seen reference to an analog input (like the Raptor has).

The Raptor...
http://www.sctflash.com/raptor.php
has 3 analog inputs, but on 62 samples per second ("Lightning Fast 62 samples per second ") - How many do I need?

One thing that neither shows is how many simultaneous channels does it log. Can I log only 2 or 4 parameters at the same time? Can I log ten?

I'd like to log the following at a minimum:
- Wideband O2 (external)
- EGT (external)
- boost (external)

- MAF voltage
- rpm
- inlet temp 1
- inlet temp 2
- injector signals
- timing

- Maybe Ambient temp (external)

Just my thoughts,
Herb
Herb,

The Raptor can easily log 10 or more at a time. Plus you can remove the individual items one at a time from the saved log to view just certain things individually with a click of a button. It sounds like the Sniper does not allow as much tuning as the Pro Racer from what I'm reading.

Jody

Old 03-30-2005 | 11:40 AM
|
Yeah Jody - I've come to the same conclusions and will be ordereding the SCT PRP soon.

I just need to nail down the exact combo I'm going with for the base tune. I may wait until the SCT Xcalibrator 2 is out and part of the package, as the Raptor is sold out and not being produced. I would rather not get the truck and my tune together with one device, then change horses midstream.

Herb

Old 03-30-2005 | 11:46 AM
The Sniper stuff looks awesome for me, especially the "Scout" since I have a tablet PC that's just perfect for it.

Old 03-30-2005 | 12:34 PM
I'll get Rob to give them a call & see whats new.

They truely are working feverishly to get this stuff finished & into the market. There have been a couple times where they will not take any calls or emails because they want to stay completely focused on what the are doing. We have used a "side entrance" of sorts to get information in those instances.

Old 03-30-2005 | 02:54 PM
the latest i've heard is the chips and chip burners all almost ready to ship.

Old 03-30-2005 | 04:13 PM
Originally posted by RDY2RAC
the latest i've heard is the chips and chip burners all almost ready to ship.
Two weeks.

Old 03-30-2005 | 04:40 PM
Talked to them today. Scout will be available April 8th. 299.00 I believe. All you need is a laptop or Windows PC. I have those handy

Old 03-30-2005 | 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
Two weeks.
i didn't want to go there,

i was suppose to have my tuning package way before Christmas. and i was suppose to have a display setup at the track when we go to the NMRA races but i cant do it without anything to show.

Old 03-31-2005 | 01:02 PM
Received this email today from them;
[QUOTE]If you're gonna need a custom program because you have made some modifications to your vehicle, you will have 2 options...
1. get program from us (via email or download from our web site). The custom fee is $120.
2. create your own custom program by using our Special Forces software. If you get the SF software, then you don't need to get the Scout software. The SF is the same as the Scout, but allows for custom programming. The SF sells for $495.

Whichever you choose to go with from the above options....once the program is loaded into your vehicle, you will have the ability to fine tune fuel and timing (+/- 15%).
If your vehicle is stock or just has minor modifications, then the Scout program will be enough (you still have the +/- 15%).
[\QUOTE]

So as I understand them:
Chip burn 120.00
Scout (basically a predator predator minus the handheld part. you need your own PC): 299.00
Special Forces: Full tuning ability (provide your own laptop) : 495.00

Old 03-31-2005 | 03:22 PM
Originally posted by RDY2RAC
i didn't want to go there,
Same here. I've learned from others mistakes so I won't quote actual time, just shortly, soon, real soon & available.

Old 03-31-2005 | 03:46 PM
Special Forces: Full tuning ability (provide your own laptop) : 495.00
If that's true then that's a sweet deal! But then again.. the lightning vendors will be selling new motors! (to replace folks engines who don't know what they are doing) I guess you could call it a "win-win" situation?
Rich

Old 03-31-2005 | 07:05 PM
the special forces software is setup as a multiple question survey. kinda like a tech sheet.

it'll ask you multiple questions and when your done it will provide a program. then you can make adjustments to the various inputs as needed to tweak it.

its pretty straight forward and as long as you inputted the right info you shouldn't have an issue with blown motors due to the programming.

now i dont know how the special forces will do for the custom applications like my Paxton setup or a turbo but i was suppose to stop by the shop while we were down in Florida for a custom tune but didn't make it down there in time.

Quick Reply: Update on Sniper