Lightning

Update on Sniper

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005 | 10:34 AM
|
Question Update on Sniper

Any new info on the Sniper tuning package?

Went I get the new short block and put it in, the old Flip-Chip is gone and would like to get into a tuning option that lets me grow into my mods gradually. The SCT Pro-racer and the Sniper both appear to fit the bill.

I like what I've seen advertised about the Sniper, specifically the data-acquistion aspects. For DA with the SCT I would need to add on the Raptor.

I'm looking to see if anyone is using it, know anyone using it, etc.

Maybe RDY2RAC will add some info here, as I believe he is sponsored by, and using the Sniper.

I've not heard anymore about it since the prerelease posts.

Thanks,
Herb

Old 02-13-2005 | 10:37 AM
SCT now includes the Raptor.

Mike

Old 02-13-2005 | 11:48 AM
i just talked with Patrick on thursday, and they are just about ready to ship the scout hardware. http://www.snipertuning.com/new/view...ctronic+Tuning

now my understanding of this product is it will be much like the other handhelds in its functions. dealer tuned and limited adjustability on the user end. it will consist of the usb cable and the software for your laptop to upload the programming into the processor.

the handheld pda's will follow very shortly (production delays) and will offer greater flexability.

at this time i dont know if the data logging software will be included or an optional extra.

they are furiously trying to get everything ready to ship and dont want to get caught up in the "it will be here in 2 weeks" debacle. they hope to have stuff ready in time for the NMRA season opener in Bradenton FL. march 10th,11th and 12th.

atleast have functioning products to show.

i'll shoot them an e-mail and see if they have anymore specifics.

Old 02-13-2005 | 11:53 AM
|
Thanks!

I figured you would know if anyone does.

Do they new a daily driver street guinea pig (cough..sponsered) for their new system?

If you could keep me up to date on what you find, I would appreciate it.

You can also catch me offline at herbsROD@satx.rr.com (drop the ROD - I did!)

Herb

Old 02-13-2005 | 01:31 PM
PDA?
tell them to use Windows OS for PDA's.

Old 02-13-2005 | 01:46 PM
what about a predator?

Old 02-13-2005 | 02:47 PM
|
I thought about the Predator and the normal SCT 9100 flash tuner.

The main issue I have is the I want to be able to tune my truck. I don't want to be reliant on someone else and have to purchase a new tune when I change something. That is the main reason for wanting the Datalogging capability. I want to see feedback and be able to analyze the changes I make.

From what I've heard the are limitations to the datalogging capability and the scope of changes allowed by the Predator. If I can get a tuned Predator or an SCT 9100 for around $500, why not pony up a few more presidents to get full datalogging and access the etirety of my tuning map?

There is always risk involved in exposing that much variablity to the end-user, - but I've got a rod hangning out of my block, so I understand risk

I need to gather more info about the capablities and limitations of each system:

Predator
Sniper
SCT tuner
SCT Pro-Racer

Then decide on what fits me and my truck the best.

This may be a good opportunity to consolidate this information in one place.

I'm not biased or bashing - I just want what fits ME.

Thanks,
Herb (wow I'm a windbag)

Old 02-13-2005 | 02:55 PM
The raptor looks good to me because it has a input for a wideband. It would be great to have all that information collected through one interface. The setup isn't cheap, that is the only downside for a data collection solution. My question for this sniper solution if it includes datalogging - does it have an input.

-Mark

Old 02-13-2005 | 03:14 PM
|
Everything that I know about it is on page 139 of the April '05 edition of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords

The Spartan caught my eye with:
- Data logging at 200 samples per second

The other 'cool' features are the GPS options, and the G-Tech like features. I've not seen price and I've not seen reference to an analog input (like the Raptor has).

The Raptor...
http://www.sctflash.com/raptor.php
has 3 analog inputs, but on 62 samples per second ("Lightning Fast 62 samples per second ") - How many do I need?

One thing that neither shows is how many simultaneous channels does it log. Can I log only 2 or 4 parameters at the same time? Can I log ten?

I'd like to log the following at a minimum:
- Wideband O2 (external)
- EGT (external)
- boost (external)

- MAF voltage
- rpm
- inlet temp 1
- inlet temp 2
- injector signals
- timing

- Maybe Ambient temp (external)

Just my thoughts,
Herb

Old 02-14-2005 | 12:20 AM
Originally posted by l-menace
PDA?
tell them to use Windows OS for PDA's.
the pda will have windows ce
the delay is due to the fact that this will be a new new handheld not a relabled one.

all very good question i'll see what i can dig up on the Sniper side.

if you think 200 sample per second is fast, i've been told they have seen upwards to 4-500 samples on some of the various inputs.

sounds like the Sniper Scout will hit the market right about $299

Old 02-14-2005 | 12:30 AM
|
Any line on timeframe and pricing for the Spartan?

Herb

Old 02-14-2005 | 08:24 AM
Wouldnt the samples per second be limited by the BUs speed of the PCM ?

The PCM in our trucks isnt exactly a screamer ..

Doug

Old 02-14-2005 | 09:21 AM
|
I don't think that the buss speed would directly affect the ABILITY for an external device to sample at a given rate, but it would certainly affect the VALIDITY of the data sample.

What I mean by this is for example:

Let say the ECM fills in a memory register with a value 0f 4.56 Vdc.
Assuming (example - not real world) the ECM data buss speed that allows data update on this variable every .5 seconds, that value of 4.56 Vdc will remain there in the register until changed. If an external device samples the ALDL every 0.1 seconds, it would record 4.56 Vdc for 5 consecutive samples. The overall effect would be a waveform with a 'peak-and-hold' pattern cosisting of many flat-toppped plateaus.

The reason I say it affects the VALIDITY is that anything could happen to the system that the ECM is checking BETWEEN samples. This action would not be recorded, and, in the tuner eyes, would not have ever occured, thus making the data invalid for the sampled event.

I would think that I would prefer an acquisition speed slightly faster than buss speed - to catch all the data, but not oversample stagnant info.

In reality, the buss speed and sample rates available, coupled with the number of acquired channels of useful data might be OK. I don't know for sure - so I've got some questions posted around to find out. I will share whatever 'skinny' I get.

Herb

Old 02-14-2005 | 09:30 AM
I guess my point was that comparing data acquisition speeds among data loggers is kinda pointless as long as they are all above the speed of the PCM..

And the speed at which the PCM records PID data and the speed at which you can get that data out of the PCM may not be the same...

Kinda like talking about how your car will go 200 and you want one that will go 210 - You hardly ever have the chance to reach either speed so is it really worth it ?

Old 02-14-2005 | 09:39 AM
|
Oh Yeah - I certainly agree with that Doug!

The biggest issue that I see comparing the sampling rates is that these are MAXIMUM samplling rates - meaning best conditions on ONE channel of data. If all of the sampling circuitry 'guts' between the two systems were absolutely identical (they won't be) a sampling rate of 200/sec. should allow you to see 3 times the number of separate values at the sample resolution as the unit sampling 62/sec.

They both reduce the samples/second as the number of sampled variables increase (as do most DA systems - they usually multiple one acquistion circuit to several signal conditioning circuits). This may even happen twice in our application - one at the ECM to ALDL comm buss link and (perhaps) a second time the ALDL to aftermarket parts connection. Bear in mind that I don't know the pinout of the ALDL - is data presented on only one channel or several at the connector. It obviously has WAY too few pins to be a 1:1 relation

RDY2RAC - would you be adverse to sharing what variable you typically would log? Anyone running the Raptor will to as well?

Thanks,
Herb

Quick Reply: Update on Sniper