Lightning

need help with pinging problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help with pinging problem

my buddies L is having a problem pinging just driving around, It also trys to load up with fuel while at a stop light. We replace the fuel filter, o2 sensors, tryed using a predator programmer to take timing out and add fuel. None of what we did changed anything. We checked the fuel pressure and it was normal. Its weird. As soon as it gets warm it will ping with just a under a 1/4 throttle and no boost. If you sit at a stop light for a minute and then go it coughs and sputters like its real rich. Can anyone help. thanks in advance.

Old 02-17-2005, 12:02 AM
Re: need help with pinging problem

Originally posted by andymacta
my buddies L is having a problem pinging just driving around, It also trys to load up with fuel while at a stop light. We replace the fuel filter, o2 sensors, tryed using a predator programmer to take timing out and add fuel. None of what we did changed anything. We checked the fuel pressure and it was normal. Its weird. As soon as it gets warm it will ping with just a under a 1/4 throttle and no boost. If you sit at a stop light for a minute and then go it coughs and sputters like its real rich. Can anyone help. thanks in advance.
I had a similar problem with my previous Ford truck (not a Lightning) and after spending hundreds of dollars on all kinds of things it "might" be, it was a screw-in temperature sensor on the intake manifold. It was a temperature sensor for the computer. Basically, a friend of mine who had seen the same problem told me that when these sensors go bad, they tell the engine it is like below zero outside, and then your computer overcompensates thinking it is cold as a result of the faulty sensor. Good luck.

Old 02-17-2005, 12:53 AM
Check your exhaust back pressure! sounds like a clogged Cat!

Scott

Old 02-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Re: need help with pinging problem

Originally posted by andymacta
...tryed using a predator programmer to take timing out and add fuel. None of what we did changed anything.
F.Y.I. Keep in mind that changing any timing or fuel on the Predator will only change at WOT. The factory setting in the computer should be running based on sensor input in closed loop mode at part throttle.

Quick Reply: need help with pinging problem