Lightning

reading tranny temp

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reading tranny temp

Was going to hook up a temp gauge to the L tranny.

Can anyone tell me where to tap into the tranny?

I see a small 1/8" pipe plug on the drivers side above the side tranny mount with green paint on the end.

Is that the right one?
I was also wondering what temps to expect see under normal driving and maybe what temp is the danger zone.

What temp range scale are the gauges the rest of you using?
I have seen everything from 250 to 325 and 350 on the high end.
Thanks
GZ

Old 02-19-2005, 07:14 PM
"I USE THE PHANTOM AUTOMETER GAUGE

"You are correct on sensor location this time of year on a 25 mile drive the highest temp on transmission gauge i have seen is 150 degress and that was mountain driving in 50 degree weather.

Old 02-19-2005, 08:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

On the Interstate, in any temps above 50*, I routinely see 150*. I have the FTVB and extra cooler by Gregg Evans installed.

BTW - That is where I installed the transducer for my Phantom gauge.

Old 02-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Thanks much!!

Old 02-19-2005, 09:32 PM
SAME SETUP HERE

Originally posted by B-Man
On the Interstate, in any temps above 50*, I routinely see 150*. I have the FTVB and extra cooler by Gregg Evans installed.

BTW - That is where I installed the transducer for my Phantom gauge.
SAME SETUP HERE

Old 02-21-2005, 07:16 AM
I went all over looking for gauges today. Nobody seemed to have what i want in stock.

I settled for a cheapo SUN PRO at Auto zone for $29.95.
It was electric and came with the sensor and bracket. I am leaving for vacation next thursday and this was a last minute decision.

The main thing is that it just said Temp F on the face instead of water temp. It also was just one line instead of both metric and american.
The scale is 100 - 280

It hooked up easy. Hardly any fluid came out when I swapped the plug for the sensor.

I tapped into the wires of my trailer brake controler that uses the factory Ford underdash plug.

It had Power, Ground and even the dash light right there. I decided to just put a little inline switch on the power side cause it is hot all the time.

I went for a little test drive and it slowly came up to just under 150 degrees in 45 outside air temp.
Next I hooked up my 5k pound trailer and it did move the needle to just over 150 after several miles of in town stop and go.

I am dragging my sandrail rigg to The glamis sand dunes and back which is about 2500 miles. I hope the little truck doesn't suffer much.
I plan on keeping the speed down and watching all temps. I think if I stay out of the boost and watch the temps the cooler winter weather will work out fine.

I have a 1/2 power valve in the tranny but everything else is stock except the wheels and tires which are 235/70/16 all season.

I will let you know how things went when I get back. I may decide to go with the whole FTVB 4X4 pan and cooler or just not use it for that kind of heavy work in the future.

Was wondering where the rest of you folks with gauges get your power from so it is on the ignition key. I took one look at that fuse block tangle of wires and got scared.

I wonder what kind of power loss I would get if I forget to turn off my guage and everything cools off? I wouldn't even notice if the gauge was on the low side of the scale......

Old 02-21-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by EZGZ
Was wondering where the rest of you folks with gauges get your power from so it is on the ignition key. I took one look at that fuse block tangle of wires and got scared.
Use a fuse tap and you can get your power from the Passenger Compartment fuse panel. Its fuse #30 (lower right side of fuse box) it will have a 30 amp blade fuse. Make sure to put a 5 amp 3AG fast acting fuse in line with the wire going to the fuse tap and the gauge to protect your electrical system (and gauge) from damage should the gauge and/or wiring short out some where…

You can get a fuse tap, fuse holder and the fuse all from Radio Shack...

Quick Reply: reading tranny temp