Lightning

Does Anyone think that Lightning's wll Increase In value If Ford decides to Kill it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by philosophico
Its a truck. Name a truck that is deem collectable and worth money. Cant think of any right? Hopefully that answers your question.
Syclone
Typhoon

Try to buy either one of those in decent shape. And you will see what retaining its value really means.

Old 02-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Bought to enjoy it, salesman said that the SVT was special and it would hold the value, Everyone would pay the same price and that included the employees of Ford. Well 2-3 yrs, later a new L could be bought for 5k off the sticker price without any haggling.

So with the mods, its money spent on having fun, so enjoy the trip as you'll be very old before you'll see the $$$ out of this.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you think that Ford is going to let the Lightning die and not eventually bring it back you are wrong, wrong, wrong....Go ahead an sit on your trucks and think you will get big $$$$$ for it sometime in the future....Take it out and drive it like it was meant to be driven, THERE WILL BE MORE !!!

Old 02-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Do you guys remember the mid 90's Impala SS? I still see those things for sale at unbelievable high prices with high miles on them.

Yes, I see inflated asking prices.

I see them changing hands at $10k+, maybe $15k for a time-capsule version.

Think about it... it's a taxi cab with a Corvette motor. Not many taxi cab museums out there.

Syclone/Typhoon about the same. Even the GNX's can't outpace inflation.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by R_Rider
Yes, I see inflated asking prices.

I see them changing hands at $10k+, maybe $15k for a time-capsule version.

Think about it... it's a taxi cab with a Corvette motor. Not many taxi cab museums out there.

Syclone/Typhoon about the same. Even the GNX's can't outpace inflation.
You have obviously NEVER looked into buying a true GNX. The car that Buick only made 547 of. I've only seen one sell for under what they originally cost and that one was beat to crapola with over 180k miles on it. Every other GNX I've seen sold for WAY over its original price.

I have seen Typhoons sell for small fortunes also (>$20k) but they can be had for less if you are willing to buy a compromised specimin.

Old 03-01-2005, 03:36 PM
You have obviously NEVER looked into buying a true GNX. The car that Buick only made 547 of. I've only seen one sell for under what they originally cost and that one was beat to crapola with over 180k miles on it. Every other GNX I've seen sold for WAY over its original price.
You've obviously NEVER performed an inflation correction!

Seriously, 1987 GNX MSRP was $29,900. That's about $47,842 in today's money.

From what I saw on the GNX registry, they don't bring that. Thus... the car used most often to make the argument that modern performance cars appreciate... depreciated.

And don't forget the poor souls who paid over MSRP!!!

If someone bought a GNX new in 1987 for $29,900, plus tax, plus "Dealer Market Adjustment", then stored it and insured it for 18 years, finally selling it as a pristine example for $33,000, let 'em brag that they made $3k. It might ease the sting.

1991 Syclone? MSRP $25,500. That's $34,250 today. They don't bring that.

Old 03-01-2005, 04:05 PM
R_Rider is correct. When buying _new_ automobiles, the only way to make some good $$ is if you're going to put it in a wrapper and let it sit for a long, long, long time.

Even something like Vettes (which are certainly not limited production)... the only ones worth a lot of $$ compared to their original price are the pre'-72 C3s, C2s and C1s. Rubber-bumper C3s (74+) and C4, C5s would not have been worth buying as an "investment".

I know some people who buy used cars and turn them and make some $$. But that's not what we're talking about here.

A relatively new vehicle (Gen 2 Lightning) will have to sit for 30 years to be worth some decent $$.

Does it hold its value well? I think so. Still loses $$, but it does hold its value well (meaning only it depreciates at a slower rate than most other newer vehicles).

Honestly, I've never bought a car hoping it would make a profit.

Old 03-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by R_Rider
You've obviously NEVER performed an inflation correction!

Seriously, 1987 GNX MSRP was $29,900. That's about $47,842 in today's money.

From what I saw on the GNX registry, they don't bring that. Thus... the car used most often to make the argument that modern performance cars appreciate... depreciated.

And don't forget the poor souls who paid over MSRP!!!

If someone bought a GNX new in 1987 for $29,900, plus tax, plus "Dealer Market Adjustment", then stored it and insured it for 18 years, finally selling it as a pristine example for $33,000, let 'em brag that they made $3k. It might ease the sting.

1991 Syclone? MSRP $25,500. That's $34,250 today. They don't bring that.
Couldn't have said it better... Now I guess I'm just padding my small post count.

Old 03-02-2005, 02:37 PM
The calculation you performed is on the price of a ShowRoom new GNX with no milage on it ($29.9K). There are GNXs that people purchased and stored from day one. Those time capsule cars are worth WWAAAYYYY more that that 47K figure.

I was watching one (a GNX) on ebay and I was going to post the link so you could see what a nice one goes for. But the auction was ended early and it doesn't have a bid history for some reason. The last I saw it was up to 42K and it still had plenty time left. Car had 24K miles on it and was not completely stock so there was room for improvement as far as having value is concerned. But anyway this is really going to be endless/pointless arguement of mostly opinion and a little fact so I'll leave you with this : Cars/trucks are not good investments. They will never get a consistant return on the initial money put into them. If you are buying a car because of what it will be worth you are probably going to be disappointed when you want to sell it...............but there are exceptions.

Last edited by Nasty Wendy; 03-02-2005 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Lightbulb Who knows...

The first Generation Lighting had a gap for a few years, so maybe Ford will see the light and build us a 500 HP 3rd Generation Lightning. As for the value of the Truck, if Ford does offically kill it off, who knows....Drive it while you can, Gasoline is not getting any cheaper...

Old 03-02-2005, 04:57 PM
I was watching one (a GNX) on ebay and I was going to post the link so you could see what a nice one goes for. But the auction was ended early and it doesn't have a bid history for some reason. The last I saw it was up to 42K and it still had plenty time left.
I saw that.

Second to top bid was $34k. Top bid was $42k, bidder claims he was hacked and didn't bid.

So it was relisted at $25k with $42k reserve.

Ended with zero bids 8 hours later...

#059 (24,000 miles, some mods) was on there from 2/23 to 3/2 with $1,000 minimum bid.

No bids.

#207 is for sale at collectorcartraderonline.com with 1,720 miles, near perfect. He's asking $48,500

If someone runs up to him and uses the "Can I please pay your full asking price, sir" negotiating technique, and his insurance and storage costs were zero... he might have broken even!!!

Agreed with your closing statement... just haven't seen any evidence that the GNX is an exception. And with over ten times as many produced, can't see the Lightning proving an exception either.

Buy what you like! Drive it!

Old 03-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Re: Does Anyone think that Lightning's wll Increase In value If Ford decides to Kill it.

Originally posted by FatherLarry
Does Anyone think that Lightning's wll Increase In value If Ford decides to Kill it......?,

I do.
I am sure it will

Old 03-03-2005, 10:06 PM
I used to think like this also but ,here is the real truth. The way technology is advancing this day and age.Our Lightnings will probally be more like a 1987 iroc by the time it "should be worth $$" There will be better,faster trucks later in life. Im sure there will be exceptions like people like myself who will pay through the nose for a nice one to bring back memories .Other than that,You are out of luck.Best thing you can do is buy one drive it occasionally, and keep it in real nice condition.It is not going to appreciate but it will be hold value well for many reasons. To this day it is the fastest truck a working man can buy and a stylish one too.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:06 PM
I used to think like this also but ,here is the real truth. The way technology is advancing this day and age.Our Lightnings will probally be more like a 1987 iroc by the time it "should be worth $$" There will be better,faster trucks later in life. Im sure there will be exceptions like people like myself who will pay through the nose for a nice one to bring back memories .Other than that,You are out of luck.Best thing you can do is buy one drive it occasionally, and keep it in real nice condition.It is not going to appreciate but it will be hold value well for many reasons. To this day it is the fastest truck a working man can buy and a stylish one too.

Old 03-04-2005, 12:11 AM
So that how you guys get all them dang posts.

I'm gonna have to try that.

Quick Reply: Does Anyone think that Lightning's wll Increase In value If Ford decides to Kill it.