Lightning

Need Lightning opinions from you experts

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Lightning opinions from you experts

I'm looking at possibly buying a Lightning and I need some input from some experts (you guys). I currently have a ~550rwhp supercharged 1990 Mustang that is my toy. I've got a 98 F150 XLT as a daily driver. I was out with the top down the other day in the Mustang and saw a Lightning that wanted to play. I did have the advantage being a lighter car w/ more hp so my car was faster, but I was impressed with how the Lighting hung around. That thing was way fast. I have always given them respect but didn't realize they were as quick as they are.

Needless to say I have caught the Lightning bug. That brings me to this point. I found a friend of a friend of a friend that is selling a 2001 White Lightning with 80,000 miles on it. I am a little concearned with the number of miles, should i be? Of course the owner is saying that it "has never been abused", but come on... when I get my hands on one of these I plan on smacking down every unsuspecting little chevy I can find. Is this going to be a realiable daily driver with that many miles? What kind of gas milage are you getting out of yours? The truck only has an aftermarket air filter... I would probably get a chip for it and leave it alone for the most part. So, what kind of fuel milage and drivability could I expect on a mostly stock L? Anything in particular I should look for when I look at the truck. I am trying to gather as much info as possible before I go look at it... I know once I see and drive it I will be writing a check so I want to be prepared and not do something stupid. By the way... I can pick it up for $14,500.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:22 PM
I've only had my L for about 4 months now but let me tell you I LOVE it. I'll try to answer what I can:

Driveability: These trucks are very nice on the street. I drove mine 15.5 hours straight back from Michigan where I picked it up and my friend who came with me couldn't believe how comfy it was.

Mileage: I get 10/11 in town, 15 HWY. I have a 4# lower, chip, CAI though. You might see a 1 to 2 mpg increase.

Check the recall on the cruise control box, and (I might be off on this one) check to see if the heads have the new spark plug inserts. The older Gen2 L's are known to spit plugs (not enough threads originally), so make sure the new sleeve has been done. Soneone else can verify for me.

As for the truck itself, they have some nasty bottom end if you can get them to hook. If I had this truck's Torque Curve and my old Typhoon's AWD traction, I'd be in hog heaven.

The L's are gorgeous trucks to me, and versatile to boot. I can tow, haul lumber, whatever, and then still empty out the bed and play with Vettes. It's a great thing.

Hope you get the rest of your questions answered. Good luck!

Josh

Old 03-09-2005, 03:49 PM
I am a newbie too with L's and love it..........I missed my L for a day due to upgrades and had to drive my Acura and boy, what a different.......Could not wait until I got my L back........
good Luck with your search but the L is the olny way to go if you are looking for the best.........

Old 03-09-2005, 05:39 PM
when ya get a chance come check us out at www.talonclub.com thats where all the north texas Lightning owners are....

Old 03-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Hes right the 01 plugs only thread in about 4 turns I just blew one. I only have 15,000 miles on mine. I just got mine and befor I spit the plug I got 10 mpg. and I was hard on it every time I stoped. Thats w/ only a 2 # pully. Other then that the truck is great.

Quick Reply: Need Lightning opinions from you experts