Lightning

The clunk washers

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005 | 04:31 PM
|
The cluck washers

Okay, I just installed the clunk washers from David Lynn. I have a question for you folks. Do you leave one of the factory washers off?? (the one closest to the shock) I know on the bolt side, that washer is fixed to the bolt and won't come off, it looks like if you left the other washer on the bolt it would not have enough threads to tighten up good enough, so I left that washer off. Will I have any problems in doing that?? Every thing torqued down okay, I was just wondering if that would cause problems down the road.

Harold AKA MM

Old 03-09-2005 | 04:37 PM
I left mine off for the same reason - not enough threads. By the way, I still have clunking.

Old 03-09-2005 | 04:42 PM
Originally posted by fullboogie
I left mine off for the same reason - not enough threads. By the way, I still have clunking.
As do I. Mine sounds like it is on the passenger side now. wtf?

-Kimball

Old 03-09-2005 | 04:43 PM
Most of the "clunking" comes from the steering stops. If you apply a bead of never-seize to the stops, you'll find that will take care of the problem. Its those 295 tires up front that cause the binding up.
If you do a search for steering stops, you'll probably find more info than you want to read

Old 03-09-2005 | 04:55 PM
|
Fast Gator is right on the money there. My 03 hardly ever clucked, but I want ahead and installed the cluck washers any way. Heck for 25 + shipping you can't go wrong in my book.

So did anyone else leave one washer off, and if so does it cause any problems???

Thanks again!!

Old 03-09-2005 | 05:01 PM
I've had DL washers in my console since 01.
2 months ago while installing the FRGF 1/2 drop kit, that I had bought from Sal over a year ago , I finally installed the washers. I also left off the factory washer off and never had the clunk on my 01.

Now my 99 was a different story

Old 03-09-2005 | 07:20 PM
Does anyone have install instructions by chance??

Old 03-09-2005 | 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Fast Gator
Most of the "clunking" comes from the steering stops. If you apply a bead of never-seize to the stops, you'll find that will take care of the problem. Its those 295 tires up front that cause the binding up.
If you do a search for steering stops, you'll probably find more info than you want to read
could some one please post a pic to where i should apply anti-seize so i can do this over my spring break, cause im sick of my truck sounding like its gonna fall apart every time i turn. thanks.

Old 03-09-2005 | 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Dman25
I know where to apply it but:

im sick of my truck sounding like its gonna fall apart every time i turn
also. -May-

Old 03-09-2005 | 09:57 PM
Originally posted by hyvltge
Does anyone have install instructions by chance??
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...washer+install

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=74800

Last edited by SLVRLTNG; 03-09-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-09-2005 | 10:29 PM
Ahh yes the infamous search button. Thanks for the hook up!!

Old 03-09-2005 | 11:45 PM
I wonder if this "clunk" you guys are addressing is the same noise that I hear when I am backing up and turn the steering wheel all the way clockwise on my 04L! Sounds liking a "popping" noise in the front end! I noticed it the first week I had the truck, thought it was those big a-- tires hitting something. Took it to the dealer and they said they just lubicated some steering joints that were dry and it stopped the noise.
I just turned 7K miles and now I am hearing it again! I also now notice it going forward slowly and seems like when I am turning hard to the right!

Is this the "clunk"?

Old 03-10-2005 | 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Bill Bell
I wonder if this "clunk" you guys are addressing is the same noise that I hear when I am backing up and turn the steering wheel all the way clockwise on my 04L! Sounds liking a "popping" noise in the front end! I noticed it the first week I had the truck, thought it was those big a-- tires hitting something. Took it to the dealer and they said they just lubicated some steering joints that were dry and it stopped the noise.
I just turned 7K miles and now I am hearing it again! I also now notice it going forward slowly and seems like when I am turning hard to the right!

Is this the "clunk"?
That's the steering stop "clunk" ... Grease the stops it goes away

Old 03-10-2005 | 09:30 AM
When I was doing my clunk washers, I sat there and stared at the front suspension setup, and for the life of me couldn't see the steering stops everyone talks about. I'd be interested in seeing a pic of where to grease them.

Old 03-10-2005 | 11:01 AM
Originally posted by MotorcycleMan
Fast Gator is right on the money there. My 03 hardly ever clucked, but I want ahead and installed the cluck washers any way. Heck for 25 + shipping you can't go wrong in my book.

So did anyone else leave one washer off, and if so does it cause any problems???

Thanks again!!
I have a complete write up in my Gallery 3 with applicable photos. If you want to retain all of the factory threads, you cut the washer off of the bolt, and turn the nut around after pressing the integrated washer off of it. To remove the integrated washer off of the nut, you thread the bolt into the nut, put a socket on both ends and whack one socket. I did this on both of my 2004 Lightnings without incident.

Quick Reply: The clunk washers