Lightning

Any new L's left?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 03:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just doing a little browsing on ebay and found a red lightning in foxboro. its a 2004 w/ 228 miles and no reserve for only $15k http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6219

Old 03-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Old 03-20-2005, 02:24 PM
I was told that all Lightnings are California legal.

Old 03-20-2005, 03:01 PM
ha that price changed quick!

Old 03-23-2005, 11:13 PM
Thanks kobiashi for the DMV info, looks like I'm in the market for a used '03 poss '04, and with > 7.5k mi. Might want to change from the silver to gray this time, but if a great deal comes along, color choice may have to wait (if a dealer needs to wholesale it).

I'll check here for any updates, thanks guys.

Jim

Old 03-24-2005, 12:43 AM
I saw an '03 white L in Lynden Washington that had 3600 miles on it. The truck looked very clean, the only thing that was odd, is that someone painted the grills white too. Pioneer Ford in Lynden.

Old 03-24-2005, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Skip
I was told that all Lightnings are California legal.
Negative Skip.

The People's Republic of California has special requirements, otherwise the Polit Bureau will say "HeT".

From the California DMV and CAEPA and the Air Resources Board:

"Special Registration Situations:

California has special requirements for vehicles:

Before You Buy A Car Out Of State…
Make Sure You Can Drive It In California!
Vehicle Smog Requirements for California Residents:

If you are a resident of California and buy or acquire a new car, truck or motorcycle in another state, it must be "California Certified" to meet California emission laws, unless it meets one of the exceptions listed below.

California Law considers any vehicle purchased with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer a NEW vehicle. California Law also prohibits a California resident or business from driving their vehicle to obtain in excess of 7,500 miles.

Exceptions:

As a California resident, you may register a new out-of-state vehicle certified to federal emission standards only if you:

ß obtain it as part of an inheritance or divorce settlement
ß purchase it to replace your California registered vehicle that was stolen while out-of-state; or
ß purchase it to replace your California registered vehicle that was destroyed or became inoperative beyond reasonable repair while out-of-state.

When you apply to register the vehicle, you must show proof - such as a court order, police report or repair invoice - that you qualify for an exception.

Check the Underhood Label For Certification Information:
To find out whether a car or truck is California certified, check the emission control label under the hood in the engine compartment. If the vehicle is "California certified," this label will state that the vehicle con-forms to California regulations or that it is legal for sale in California. If a vehicle is "federally certified," the label will state that the vehicle conforms to U.S. EPA regulations, but no mention will be made of meeting California requirements.

Denial Of Registration:

A California resident or business cannot operate a new out-of-state vehicle in California that is not "California certified." The Department of Motor Vehicles will not register it. It cannot be driven or sold here. If the vehicle is to be operated or resold, it must be removed from California.

Converting a "federally certified" vehicle to be "California certified" is not allowed.

California Residents In The Military:

If you are a California resident on active military duty outside the state, you may return to California with a new vehicle that is not certified to California requirements. You must have registered this vehicle in the state of your last military service, and it must be certified to federal emission standards.

Persons Moving to California:

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new federally certified vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the state of your last military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence of you vehicle's previous registration. A temporary operating permit is acceptable proof.

(Including Military Personnel)

Smog Check For
Out-Of-State Vehicles:
All gasoline-powered vehicles, new or used, being registered for the first time in California must pass the California Smog Check. A vehicle will fail the California Smog Check if it is not equipped with the originally required smog devices.

THIS IS THE LABEL THEY ARE REFERRING TO:

You'll notice that in the red circle it says both "Federal" and "California". That means it is California Certified. If it just said "Federal", and you buy that puppy and bring it into the state, the DMV will not allow you to register it. So if you are looking for an L at a Ford dealer outside of CA, make damn sure it sez California on the emissions label (located in the engine compartment) or else you just spent a lot of money on a vehicle you will not be allowed to register in this state and you're SOL.

(You gotta love this state!)

You can find the full text of this info at the CA DMV site here:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/noncaveh/noncaveh.htm

and see the Air Resouces Board PDF of this law here:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/NonCAVeh/NonCAVeh.pdf

Last edited by kobiashi; 03-24-2005 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by kobiashi
Negative Skip.

The People's Republic of California has special requirements, otherwise the Polit Bureau will say "HeT".

From the California DMV and CAEPA and the Air Resources Board:

"Special Registration Situations:

California has special requirements for vehicles:

Before You Buy A Car Out Of State…
Make Sure You Can Drive It In California!
Vehicle Smog Requirements for California Residents:

If you are a resident of California and buy or acquire a new car, truck or motorcycle in another state, it must be "California Certified" to meet California emission laws, unless it meets one of the exceptions listed below.

California Law considers any vehicle purchased with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer a NEW vehicle. California Law also prohibits a California resident or business from driving their vehicle to obtain in excess of 7,500 miles.

Exceptions:

As a California resident, you may register a new out-of-state vehicle certified to federal emission standards only if you:

ß obtain it as part of an inheritance or divorce settlement
ß purchase it to replace your California registered vehicle that was stolen while out-of-state; or
ß purchase it to replace your California registered vehicle that was destroyed or became inoperative beyond reasonable repair while out-of-state.

When you apply to register the vehicle, you must show proof - such as a court order, police report or repair invoice - that you qualify for an exception.

Check the Underhood Label For Certification Information:
To find out whether a car or truck is California certified, check the emission control label under the hood in the engine compartment. If the vehicle is "California certified," this label will state that the vehicle con-forms to California regulations or that it is legal for sale in California. If a vehicle is "federally certified," the label will state that the vehicle conforms to U.S. EPA regulations, but no mention will be made of meeting California requirements.

Denial Of Registration:

A California resident or business cannot operate a new out-of-state vehicle in California that is not "California certified." The Department of Motor Vehicles will not register it. It cannot be driven or sold here. If the vehicle is to be operated or resold, it must be removed from California.

Converting a "federally certified" vehicle to be "California certified" is not allowed.

California Residents In The Military:

If you are a California resident on active military duty outside the state, you may return to California with a new vehicle that is not certified to California requirements. You must have registered this vehicle in the state of your last military service, and it must be certified to federal emission standards.

Persons Moving to California:

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new federally certified vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the state of your last military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence of you vehicle's previous registration. A temporary operating permit is acceptable proof.

(Including Military Personnel)

Smog Check For
Out-Of-State Vehicles:
All gasoline-powered vehicles, new or used, being registered for the first time in California must pass the California Smog Check. A vehicle will fail the California Smog Check if it is not equipped with the originally required smog devices.

THIS IS THE LABEL THEY ARE REFERRING TO:

You'll notice that in the red circle it says both "Federal" and "California". That means it is California Certified. If it just said "Federal", and you buy that puppy and bring it into the state, the DMV will not allow you to register it. So if you are looking for an L at a Ford dealer outside of CA, make damn sure it sez California on the emissions label (located in the engine compartment) or else you just spent a lot of money on a vehicle you will not be allowed to register in this state and you're SOL.

(You gotta love this state!)

You can find the full text of this info at the CA DMV site here:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/noncaveh/noncaveh.htm

and see the Air Resouces Board PDF of this law here:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/NonCAVeh/NonCAVeh.pdf
All new Ford products sold in the U.S. are 50 state vehicles. I believe that started in the late 90's.

Old 03-24-2005, 04:15 PM
got a 04 or 03 red one right by me see it every day i drive to work in hewitt, tx

Old 03-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Silver-Bolt
All new Ford products sold in the U.S. are 50 state vehicles. I believe that started in the late 90's.
NOT SO. I work in the Fleet Dept. of a CA dealership. The window sticker has to specify CA emissions or 50 state emissions for me to sell it here. I do dealer trades for my dealership and trade with dealers in OR. and NV. all the time. I can't take a vehicle from them if not designated as I stated. The new 2005 Mustangs are all 50 state vehicles and don't have to specify on the MSRP.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:36 PM
I need higher mileage please.

Originally posted by MHMCGILL
I saw an '03 white L in Lynden Washington that had 3600 miles on it. The truck looked very clean, the only thing that was odd, is that someone painted the grills white too. Pioneer Ford in Lynden.
Unfortunately, it doesn't have enough mileage! Never thought I'd have to say that.

This is very valuable info kobiashi, thanks again.

Old 03-25-2005, 06:33 PM
That one in Tampa, Florida is sold, I just bought it.

Old 03-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Sorry to get off topic, but anyone see any new left over Cobras around. Would really like an Orange one. Thanks, -Mat-

Old 03-25-2005, 08:39 PM
Re: New "L"

Originally posted by jayzap
There was a new Silver one a Waltham Ford in Waltham Massachusetts as of a few weeks ago.
Took a ride by yesterday and it's gone.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:58 PM
Ca Legal

I still think that all Lightnings are Ca legal. A good friend of mine picked one up in Chicago (new) and had no problem with the DMV.

He also found some in other states that were all Ca legal.

Maybe someone in another state will chime in and tell us what his plate says.

Due to the low volume, it would make sense to make them all the same.

Quick Reply: Any new L's left?