Lightning

Electrical problem with new 510 PIAA's.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005 | 02:52 PM
|
Electrical problem with new 510 PIAA's.

Installed a new set of 510 PIAA's yesterday for fogs. Both fogs lit up after install. I adjusted the aiming, tightened and then blew the fuse when I went to turn them on. Went through 2 more fuses before deciding to remove the lights and test them on the floor. They light up on the floor, no problem. Put them back in the fog light area, they light up. Tighten the passenger fog, no problem. Tighten the driver side fog, blown fuse. Loosed the driver side fog, they light up . What is going on? It seems that the driver side fog is shorting out (I saw sparks) with the spoiler frame area. Is this a defective PIAA or am I doing something I shouldn't be doing? Please help. They are in place, and work, but are not aimed properly because I can not tighten the driver side fog to aim it correctly. Thanks in advance.

Cesar

Old 03-19-2005 | 03:02 PM
The drivers side fog is definitely shorting out on something. Also, I wouldn't use the stock wiring, build a new harness with a relay, since the piaa fogs are higher wattage.

Old 03-19-2005 | 03:07 PM
|
Mister Gadget,

Why would it be shorting out with the frame though. Should there be any current on the exterior of that light? The wires are free and loose, therefore I know it's not the wiring being caught up or bound. Also, what is the wattage of the stock foglights?

Thanks,
Cesar

Old 03-19-2005 | 03:28 PM
The exterior metal of the foglight may be grounding itself to the frame and causing your short. The stock foglights are 27 watts each, while the piaa's are probably 55 watts each. I have 100 watt yellow foglights and i built a new harness usng a relay, and it used the stock foglight wires as the trigger for the relay.

Quick Reply: Electrical problem with new 510 PIAA's.