Lightning

Thinking about purchasing a 2001 lightning

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about purchasing a 2001 lightning

Hi, everyone i'm new here and i am in the market for a new vehicle and i found a 2001 lightning with 21,000 miles on it i can get it for 17,000. does this sound like a good deal, are the 2001's a good truck? what kind of problems do i have to look for. The truck is in great condition, only problems it has some rock chips on the bottom of the front bumper, but everything else seems ok, i haven't heard it run or drove it but i plan on tomm hope you can give me some advice thanks

Old 04-18-2005, 10:30 PM
Sounds like a real good deal, only real problem is the pre 03's spit plugs out of the heads.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the advice. what's with the plugs going bad? what causes this? and is there a solution. I don't plan on beating on this truck that much just really think it's a cool vehicle. thanks for the help been reading alot of good posts on this site and you all have some sweet lightnings

Old 04-19-2005, 12:18 AM
this is due to the amount of threads in the plug holes of the pre-03s. it's not a huge problem though as long as you check the tightness of your plugs every now and then. Properly maintained it will not spit a plug. If you can, check for oil in and around the throttle body and what not. A fairly common problem, and there are several ways of tackling that. Oil separator kits, catch cans, breathers (requires tune), PCV kits, etc. Check the tires for abuse and the inner fenders I guess for rubber. Should give you an idea of whether or not the truck was really beat on. You may want to grab the vin and have the dealer run an Oasis report on it too. (This will give you its service history) Check the computer too to see if it's had a chip installed... (scraped off protective coating) which is located under the dash on the passenger side. Good luck. that seems like a pretty good deal

Old 04-19-2005, 12:35 AM
Thanks Birdy for the help. i live in eastern pennsylvania scranton wilkes barre area to be exact, anyone know of anybody that deals with lightnings and where i can get some stuff for it i'd like to mod it out maybe an exhaust and what not. i hope to take it for a test ride tomm since it's gonna be really nice out

Old 04-19-2005, 01:39 AM
hey man, sounds like a great deal, if you find any others like that could u drop me a line? I could most likely afford that, not sure of the color of the one ur lookin at but i want red. about the vendors, u live in easter PA, which is close enough for PSP and maybe JDM for a day trip. best of luck.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:19 PM
It's no super close, but Johnny Lightning is based in PA. Its worth the drive JDM is also just over in NJ.
-c

Originally posted by Svt1333
Thanks Birdy for the help. i live in eastern pennsylvania scranton wilkes barre area to be exact, anyone know of anybody that deals with lightnings and where i can get some stuff for it i'd like to mod it out maybe an exhaust and what not. i hope to take it for a test ride tomm since it's gonna be really nice out

Old 04-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Hey, thanks for the replies, the lightning rode great lots of power looks like i'll be getting it. miclightning i believe i was on autotrader and found i think 2 lightnings for sale near harrisburg area, and i think there was one on there from jersey that was red private seller try Autotrader.com

Old 04-19-2005, 07:34 PM
I also have a 2001L. early build 2001's have transmission issues that MAY occur. crawl under drivers side and look for trans tag. if you see a 1J, you may run into a problem. If it has an extended warranty, you may want to get that transferred. there's no way to tell if or when the problem will occur, but it starts with 1-2 shifts being delayed.

sounds like a good price.

Dave
2001L

Old 04-19-2005, 09:55 PM
that is an awesome deal

hard to beat for that price and mileage. Few things I may add: CARFAX OK?? Bone stock or modded?

This link helped me when I was doing my research before buying (also got an '01 BTW, silver):
http://www.austinsvt.com/lightning/gen2data.html

good overview of year-to-year variations/improvements

Old 04-20-2005, 10:07 AM
I bought my 2001 L new in May of that year. It has been modded by me, 1/4 mile raced, dynoed, and driven daily by me to and from work. It now has 85,200 miles on it. It never saw the dealer or a repair shop since I picked it up.

Brake pads, tires, fuel filters, and spark plugs have been replaced of course.

I screwed in new plugs in by hand, then I tightened them 1/16th of a turn more after applying a quality anti-sieze product on their threads. Those plugs have been in now for over 30,000 miles and have never come loose nor did the originals before replacing them.

Dan

Old 04-20-2005, 10:48 AM
i have an '01 with almost identical mileage. moderate mods (410hp/510tq) I do all my own maint to it and it has never been in the shop. I change the plugs about every year and am vigilant about tightening them firmly, but not overly tight; never shot one. i wouldn't even consider selling mine for that price if i was desperate. buy it.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:40 PM
I have a Silver '01 L I purchased used and bone stock in June '02 with 2k miles on it. It is build # 6100 and a mature local gentleman had it and traded it on a new Cobra. I've put 7k more miles on it since I bought it and added a billet fuel door, Lightning hitch, FAST emblems. Lightning floor mats and some other cosmetic items. The only performance items I've added is a Magnaflow cat-back and am about to purchase a CAI, probably from JLP whose shop is only about 45 minutes from where I live in Hershey. Check them out since it's only another 1+ hours for you from W-B Scranton to just south of Lancaster.
They have a great all Ford show in Harrisburg each summer sponsored by the Ford Performance Club of Central PA. I think this is their 20 year this year. I'll get you the date if you like.
I have had absolutely no problems with my L and I do not hesitate to run it hard when I have the chance. The local Vette, Hemi Ram and tuner owners will attest to that.
Good Luck with the L...You will love it !!

Old 04-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, it looks like i'll be getting it this weekend or next week. I love driving the truck it's sweet and has lots of power. i'd be interested in that day the ford show is in harrisburg, anyone go to the truck show n carlisle? thanks again for the help

Quick Reply: Thinking about purchasing a 2001 lightning