Lightning

Do you use the car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you use the car wash?

Ok guys...I'm on the road, living in hotels or Navy bases for most of my time in the states, so as much as I hate to do it I have to wash my truck at the car wash. Ofcoarse I use the 'touchless" but I'm starting to wonder what the effects are. I noticed my rear window dripping where it slides today. Am I going to mess up my weather trim or window seals with the high pressure? Are the strong detergents bad for the paint/body? I can't wait to get home to hand wash her and wax her like she deserves, but for now I need advice on how to keep her clean and fresh on the road.

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2005, 08:11 PM
other than getting a 5 gal bucket, like from Home depot and putting together a little wash kit of your favorite stuff, to keep in the back, and using the $1.25 type washes, waxing in hotel lots, I'd think you don't have a lot of choices

Good luck with it
Denny

Old 05-09-2005, 08:36 PM
Been using touchless carwashes for about 2 years now (on my L), no problems here.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Hell no! Just my personal preference though.

I understand where your coming from though. If it's the only thing to use, use the touchless washes. Keep in mind though, the detergents/soaps most of those places use will strip your wax pretty quick. If I were you I would clay bar, wax and polish it more often to keep your paint looking good and repel a lot of the road grime you pick up.

Steve

Last edited by NorCalLightning; 05-10-2005 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:37 PM
The touchless car washes do a decent job but they will still leave a film on the paint. The only way to truly get the paint clean is by hand washing. I would never use anything but a touchless IF I had to do a car wash away from home.

However, with how I am ****, IF I had to travel with my truck I would do what I use to do with my last “regular” F150 at car washes. I had a 5 gallon bucket, wash mitt, Zaino car wash and some Microfiber drying towles. I would put enough money into the bay wash to start the wash. I would fill the bucket up about ½ way and then add my Zaino car wash. Then filled it the rest of the way.

I would rinse the truck down real good with the wand in the bay and then proceed to hand wash it. Once I was done with that I would put more money and then rinse it again, pull out and dry it.

People would give you the weirdest looks but FLUCK them it’s my truck…

Unless you’re really slow and/or the car wash is really busy you don’t usually have any problems. The car wash is still making money off you and you get to wash your truck the way it should be…

Old 05-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Ya, I tried that one time. I couldn't find a way to mellow the pressure washer enough to fill the bucket. (tried spraying it into an old wash mit in the bucket) I usually do bring all my cleaning supplies with me. I guess right now my main concern is, are other people seeing water come through the slider when they do take it through the wash?

Old 05-10-2005, 12:22 AM
I use car washes these days, but I've also become a little lazy after 5 years of scrachtes now built up on my black beauty...next few weeks, time for a new clearcoat, then it'll be handwash only again for a while.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:51 AM
Only by my hands !

I´ve got products from California Duster these days. A Speed Mitt, Water Blade and Rim Klone.

Great Products ! The Water Blade is a "Must Have" for the Lightning !

Take a look at Ebay.com "California Water Blade"

Old 05-10-2005, 08:28 AM
Ditto on the water blade, it's fast and does a awesome job.

Quick Reply: Do you use the car wash?