Lightning

Supercharged SRT-10 "What a Joke"

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005 | 10:59 PM
Some clown in the town I live in just got one. He told me my L was nice and probably pretty fast but he wont have a problem taking me as long as I run on my street tune.

I told him I would race him back to Dodge so he could unload that pos!

His jaw dropped when i told him I run 12.0x on my street tune. Then he said i was full of s**t - he keeps avoiding my request to hit the track - punk

Old 06-16-2005 | 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by booboo454
No Chrysler egos were harmed during the creation of this post.
LMAO

Old 06-16-2005 | 07:11 AM
No the old viper engines made around 400RWHP or 40 more RWHP than >00 Lightnings at redline, but around 3000 our Lightnings made about 40 more RWHP than them.

The NEW SRT-10 viper engine when it WASN'T detuned made around 440 RWHP and the current ones, well they now seem to be all over the place once they started losing their transmissions and Dodge had to start replacing them for free, see a connection?

Basically the L vs. SRT-10 is a push in my book, if you average the HP between 3000 and redline they're even and don't most engines have to pull these RPMS 3 -4 times during a race? Also the SRT-10 is heavier and they have to master a manual which a ton of people just think, wow I can shift.... what's the big deal?

Mystery solved, the SRT-10's just aren't that good from the factory nor are they easily modded without losing their midrange (minus a cheap SC)

No Chrysler egos were harmed during the creation of this post.
So what I want to know is are you basically saying the viper engine is garbage?

Old 06-16-2005 | 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by philosophico
So what I want to know is are you basically saying the viper engine is garbage?
No I never said that the viper truck engine was garbage, but their transmisions are and that's why they are detuning them.

What I did said was it's NA and it has all the normal characteristics of one. You can't just make x hp at red line and improve it to x + 20% by doing say, cam, head work, exhaust, etc and not lose mid range or bottom end without a cheap SC. BTW this is exactly (low, mid range) what you don't want to lose in a 5500 lb truck.

As for my comment of it's a 50's engine, well just do the math.

For a peaky 8l v10 500hp engine, that's about 60 hp per liter up from about 50hp a few years earlier. For comparisons sake here's a few modern engines, but the piston displacement isn't really fair. Honda's NA s2000 makes 120hp per liter, and any modern street driven "super bike" makes around 200hp per liter, and on the top end scale a modern f1 engine on daily gas makes 333hp per liter, and the old trusty pool table torque Lightning engine makes around 90 hp per liter with light mod, but the torque remains flat.

Basically Dodge (it's a verb and not a noun) has 1 cat in the bag, and it's called displacement.

Last edited by booboo454; 06-16-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-16-2005 | 01:08 PM
IF you want to get technical, the transmission is GREAT, it's the clutch that they took from the viper and put in a 5000lb truck that is failing.

Old 06-16-2005 | 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by l-menace
IF you want to get technical, the transmission is GREAT, it's the clutch that they took from the viper and put in a 5000lb truck that is failing.
I do want to get technical, so if the cluch sucks, then the transmission sucks, then the truck sucks.

Of course this would be my opinion standing next to a broken down Dodge for whatever driveline failure.

Old 06-16-2005 | 01:45 PM
I have run into 2 guys recently at car shows with srt10's and after listening to them repeat all of the advertising bs about their trucks being the fastest on the road I politely invited them to the local strip to try my L. Both of these guys back peddeled finding so many excuses to avoid a race I couldn't believe it. I guess we are all supposed to be in awe and afraid of them. One of the excuses was my truck has been modded (6#er and ported blower plus tune) and that wouldn't be a fair race . All I could tell the guy is I'm sure not at 500 hp or even close but I'm still willing try to beat your srt, even if it isn't fair to me.

Old 06-16-2005 | 06:59 PM
Ummm...the trans is the same T56 that comes in the Cobra, but with a beefier 26 spline input shaft.

Old 06-16-2005 | 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ayrton
Ummm...the trans is the same T56 that comes in the Cobra, but with a beefier 26 spline input shaft.
Obviously, the guys that run them are *****s*. Don't blame Dodge, its the idiot drivers.

Just like when you hear that the lightning has weak this and weak that... and the guy is running an 8lb pulley with a mail order tune on 91 octane...

That's why no one complains when they have Camrys. They don't do squat to them and the cars perform like they are designed to.

Nothing is worse than an un-skilled guy with little knowledge and big aspirations...

TB

Old 06-17-2005 | 01:21 AM
I do want to get technical, so if the cluch sucks, then the transmission sucks, then the truck sucks.

Of course this would be my opinion standing next to a broken down Dodge for whatever driveline failure.
I agree! they have had gear problems and clutch problems from the get go! they also have blown engines and so much more! but hey you can get one under MSRP now! thats awesome! now you can afford a CAI or maybe a shifter! well maybe not a shifter. how about an air freshener?

Yet talk to any owner or wanna be they are above anything!

Scott

Old 06-17-2005 | 01:45 AM
Man I wonder

A dodge ram truck with a Viper engine in it

Vs.

Let's say for the sake of science...

A Lightning with a GT super car engine in it

Who would win?

Peace,

Suavy

Old 06-17-2005 | 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Suavy
Man I wonder

A dodge ram truck with a Viper engine in it

Vs.

Let's say for the sake of science...

A Lightning with a GT super car engine in it

Who would win?

Peace,

Suavy

The viper truck because Ford dosent have the ***** to put that engine in anything else.

Anyhow, the tranny is not weak. Its the clutch.

Old 06-17-2005 | 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Ayrton
actually its a 32 spline input shaft. Also the fastest truck thing comes from a top speed run that was done on the flying kilometer, the truck bested 155.xx. That is what made it the "fastest truck" of all time nothing to do with 1/4 mile times.

Last edited by jeff2001silver; 06-17-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-17-2005 | 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by jeff2001silver
actually its a 32 spline input shaft. Also the fastest truck thing comes from a top speed run that was done on the flying kilometer, the truck bested 155.xx. That is what made it the "fastest truck" of all time nothing to do with 1/4 mile times.
I also read that they did everything to optimize the test. It was a very cool day with the right amount of wind, humidity etc. Everything was use to make that package got to the optimum speed.

I never read the rebuttle from Ford but I am convinced that under the right conditions a Lightning would go at least as fast.

TB

Old 06-17-2005 | 01:56 PM
Of course they picked the perfect day they were out to break the record. Why ford never rebuttaled who knows?? Why ford dropped the gen 3 who knows?? Just because dodge holds the record for "fastest" truck doesn't really mean anything, I for one won't ever go 155 in the thing.

Quick Reply: Supercharged SRT-10 "What a Joke"