Lightning

Supercharged SRT-10 "What a Joke"

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005 | 03:19 PM
Any of you experts driven one ?

Lots of Ram SRT10 talk going on. Come out of 2 Lightnings `01 and `03 with JDM mods- chip, filter, pully. Great trucks but `I`m sorry, if any one of you actually drove a Ram you would be impressed with it. They are completely diffferent from a Lightning to drive. With the stick shift and higher revving motor the`re more like an exotic to peddle around in. The Lightning is with out doubt faster in the 1/4, but that only last 10-13 seconds. Theres more to it than that.
With a Roe Racing Vec II programer and a custom tune here in the UK with exhaust mods my `10` has 490 rwhp and 505 rwlb SAE corrected. It is every bit as fast as my old Lightning and in places is faster.
Bottom line, if you have the $$$ try one. What other NEW truck would you buy?

Old 06-17-2005 | 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Dean Phillips
Lots of Ram SRT10 talk going on. Come out of 2 Lightnings `01 and `03 with JDM mods- chip, filter, pully. Great trucks but `I`m sorry, if any one of you actually drove a Ram you would be impressed with it. They are completely diffferent from a Lightning to drive. With the stick shift and higher revving motor the`re more like an exotic to peddle around in. The Lightning is with out doubt faster in the 1/4, but that only last 10-13 seconds. Theres more to it than that.
With a Roe Racing Vec II programer and a custom tune here in the UK with exhaust mods my `10` has 490 rwhp and 505 rwlb SAE corrected. It is every bit as fast as my old Lightning and in places is faster.
Bottom line, if you have the $$$ try one. What other NEW truck would you buy?
Sorry, but I "dodge" all Dodges.

Maybe, if your company builds something reliable for the next 20 consecutive years, and it's still cheap then it MIGHT become an alternative to say Daewoo. I might add that my end of the bargain will be; I'll be living in a trailer park, beer gutted, and working on that redneck backhand slap that I've been dieing to improve on.

BTW, you've hit the maximum allowable spelling errors in one post = 3.

Old 06-17-2005 | 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Ayrton
Ummm...the trans is the same T56 that comes in the Cobra, but with a beefier 26 spline input shaft.
maybe someone could check but it seems to me the t56 is rated for 400ftlb of tq ,just add 5500# and 4.10 gears and you get JUNK

Old 06-17-2005 | 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Dork-N-Beans
maybe someone could check but it seems to me the t56 is rated for 400ftlb of tq ,just add 5500# and 4.10 gears and you get JUNK
where did that info come from. My cobra at 510ft/lbs at the wheels had no issues with the tranny for the 30k miles that I beat it, stock clutch held up too. Cobra weighed in at 3900lbs+. I'm sure the srt has no where near 510 at the wheels. Oh yeah my 100% stock 01 lightning ate through 2 transmissions in less than 7k miles.

Old 06-17-2005 | 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by booboo454
No the old viper engines made around 400RWHP or 40 more RWHP than >00 Lightnings at redline, but around 3000 our Lightnings made about 40 more RWHP than them.

The NEW SRT-10 viper engine when it WASN'T detuned made around 440 RWHP and the current ones, well they now seem to be all over the place once they started losing their transmissions and Dodge had to start replacing them for free, see a connection?

Basically the L vs. SRT-10 is a push in my book, if you average the HP between 3000 and redline they're even and don't most engines have to pull these RPMS 3 -4 times during a race? Also the SRT-10 is heavier and they have to master a manual which a ton of people just think, wow I can shift.... what's the big deal?

Mystery solved, the SRT-10's just aren't that good from the factory nor are they easily modded without losing their midrange (minus a cheap SC)

No Chrysler egos were harmed during the creation of this post.
Absolutely - whats hard to figure about a 4800 lb truck with 450 ft lbs of torque versus a 5400 lb truck with 500 ft lbs of torque - it's essentially a wash. I'm not too sure that due to the broad torque band that the blown Lightning motor generates, that the accumulative torque output under the curve from idle to redline is much greater for the Dodge.

Old 06-17-2005 | 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by SVTARKANSAS
Absolutely - whats hard to figure about a 4800 lb truck with 450 ft lbs of torque versus a 5400 lb truck with 500 ft lbs of torque - it's essentially a wash. I'm not too sure that due to the broad torque band that the blown Lightning motor generates, that the accumulative torque output under the curve from idle to redline is much greater for the Dodge.
"I'm not too sure.... that the accumulative torque output under the curve from idle to redline is much greater for the Dodge."

Hey, I don't have a SRT-10 Viper engine in my back pocket right now (10 finger discount where are you?) but I'm only speaking from Viper dyno charts that I've pulled off of the internet for comparisons.

One interesting point about some of the free charts thou, they are really all over the place HP wise. I don't know if there's really a SOLID difference each and every year in HP, but they do jump around all over the place. It really could be anything, modded engines, different years, quality issue, but in my book (and my book HATES ANYTHING DODGE), I'll just mark it down to quality issues.

Old 06-18-2005 | 10:32 AM
Banned (Troll)
Originally Posted by mike00L
Some clown in the town I live in just got one. He told me my L was nice and probably pretty fast but he wont have a problem taking me as long as I run on my street tune.

I told him I would race him back to Dodge so he could unload that pos!

His jaw dropped when i told him I run 12.0x on my street tune. Then he said i was full of s**t - he keeps avoiding my request to hit the track - punk
I think someone is in the twilight zone.
The SRT-10 holds the Guiness record buddy. I would to see him whip you on the race track thats for sure.

Old 06-18-2005 | 10:43 AM
Banned (Troll)
Originally Posted by philosophico
The viper truck because Ford dosent have the ***** to put that engine in anything else.

Anyhow, the tranny is not weak. Its the clutch.
Ha! They talk about the Dodge tranny. Between my family and my relatives (not me included thank GOD), they had 5 different Fords with failing transmissions.

The worst was my grandparents Ford Aerostar. 10 years old, only 20,000KM on it and it was failing on it's 4th tranny. So my grandad threw in the towel and got GM van.

I like the looks of the Lightning, but I will never drive a vehicle that has a Ford badge on it.

Old 06-18-2005 | 10:53 AM
Banned (Troll)
I would never pay the huge prices they are asking for the viper truck, but for alot less I would buy a rumble bee and throw a super charger in it.

Old 06-18-2005 | 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Non Conductive
The SRT-10 holds the Guiness record buddy. I would to see him whip you on the race track thats for sure.

Old 06-18-2005 | 11:29 AM
Banned (Troll)
Thanks. I have more hair then that though.

Old 06-18-2005 | 11:51 AM

I'm guessing you didn't read his post very well. He said the SRT guy said he'd beat the Lightning as long as he ran on his street tune. His street tune runs 12.0's

You still think the stock SRT-10 will beat a 12.0 Lightning on a track?

Jody

Old 06-18-2005 | 12:20 PM
Banned (Troll)
Originally Posted by camcojb
I'm guessing you didn't read his post very well. He said the SRT guy said he'd beat the Lightning as long as he ran on his street tune. His street tune runs 12.0's

You still think the stock SRT-10 will beat a 12.0 Lightning on a track?

Jody
It could happen if you have two professional race drivers in them. Would be a nice race to watch.

Old 06-18-2005 | 12:25 PM
It could happen if you have two professional race drivers in them. Would be a nice race to watch.

Not sure how a professional driver in each truck will help a low to mid 13 second truck beat a 12.0 one, but okay.

By the way, I drove a friends SRT-10 back when my truck was at 450 rwhp or so. Very nice truck, rode nice and had a killer interior as compared to the Lightning in my opinion. But the performance was disappointing to me, felt pretty lazy. Then again, my truck wasn't stock at that time either, and it had been quite a while since I'd been in a stock Lightning.

Jody

Old 06-18-2005 | 12:34 PM
Banned (Troll)
Well I think of it as a horse race. Just because the fastest horse has incredible odds to win, doesn't mean it will. I heard the on the track, the SRT10 suffers because of it's suspension. Fix that and I don't think the Lightning will have a chance.

I wouldn't want the SRT-10 though. Probably gets 5 miles to the gallon.

Quick Reply: Supercharged SRT-10 "What a Joke"