Lightning

I installed a Ported Eaton (Wasp Generation 2)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob, have you guys tried turning DOWN the boost to see what happens>??? -Mat-

Old 06-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by SVT F15O
Rob, have you guys tried turning DOWN the boost to see what happens>??? -Mat-

i was going to say that matt

Old 06-20-2005, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=Rob_02Lightning]

26 Dyno's is waaaaaaaaaaaay more than I EVERY wanted my truck to make,
and believe me I HAVE ALL THAT BOOST. It goes to 18 IMMEDIATELY apon stapping the pedal, and then quickly climbs to 22. Sal has had me sit in the truck on many a Dyno pass and watch the guage, and I see it all day on the street. Thats what makes this so hard to understand, I truly have massive low end TQ and Tire Ripping Power, all that Boost, and yet crappy HP : o (
And when I tried going from a 2.7 upper to the 3.0 Mag Upper, I lost A TON of power and immediately went back to the 2.7.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:28 AM
Again awesome feedback all,
Thanks

I guess I have to except the fact that all I really do have is a lttle more boost than some, and maybe I'm just expecting too much, BUT I'm sorry I really didnt think an xtra 50 HP was asking too much of the new upgraded Exhaust, Air, Fuel, and S/C set up ???

My goals were not out of reason, (480-500 off Spray) so I truly saw no reason to go for the Heads and Cams. Remember n20 is my Race Tune, and thats "a minimum" of another 100HP at any time
Yes I wanted to chase the dream, and I felt I needed at least 600HP on race day to do it, so getting 480-500 off spray was very important, I fell very short of that.

So ok I then thought I'd just make it up with n20, but hitting it with 150 Shot on top of all that Boost is prob not the most logical thing to do.
The 150 HP is not a problem, and the Boost along is not, but add them together and I think thats asking a lot of your head gaskets, + fac fuel lines.
(see people, I listened and learned : o )

So Sal make me a very safe low timing n20 program.
I used that at the track and set the System to shut down 8 sec's into the run, the truck then fell on it's face and I had a very low MPH of 111.
Bottom line is since the day I bought my truck it ran like total schitt at low timing, and now I have a set up that wont allow me to put it past 16.
Use to run 16-19 degrees on my n20 program, and 18-21 on the street 24/7,
then Spray a Hundred shot on top of that. But now with all that boost we had to build a n20 program at like 12 degrees, my truck will not run well at that crappy timing.

The Spring theory makes sence, and god knows I've put mine through hell,
let me talk this over with Sal and see what we come up with.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Rob

Maybe because you were running so much timing before, you were seeing better et's and dynos because of it compared to where most people run, so now when you back that timming off because of your new mods, your not seeing what you thought you'ld see.

I agree completely that your number are low.

The other thing is , you say your truck has always run ****ty with low timing. You truck is so much different then when you first bought it.........and even from last year to this year. It's a different motor/blower/maf.

I'm sure if you cranked up the timing you'd see better numbers........but you'd be hurting what you invested in and it's probably not worth it.

I'm wondering if you are having ignition issues pushing that much boost.

You have that plasma booster right?? You try differences with that on and off???

How about different plugs and gappings.

22lbs i would figure you'd want them gapped a little on the tighter side....38ish??

Old 06-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Rob_02Lightning
Great feedback and info all ,
AND THANKS FOR KEEPING THIS CIVIL EVERYONE

Like I said, I am not saying this is the end of the Mag,
but I am out of options right now. I've asked Sal many many times
if he would install cams and or springs, and he has told me each and
every time it's a real pita job and he really doesn't want to do it.
(I can understand and respect that)
Rob,

Give me a call if you want springs and or cams installed. It is a PIA but we do it all the time.

If you think it is hard in a Lightning you should try it in a Cobra (have to drop the motor out the bottom to do anything)

Old 06-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by tommylightning
Rob,

Give me a call if you want springs and or cams installed. It is a PIA but we do it all the time.

If you think it is hard in a Lightning you should try it in a Cobra (have to drop the motor out the bottom to do anything)
I seen some of your handy work at the dyno tuning last weekend. How do you even show your face online anymore?

Old 06-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by St Louis Lightning
I seen some of your handy work at the dyno tuning last weekend. How do you even show your face online anymore?

interesting...

Old 06-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by tallimeca
22lbs i would figure you'd want them gapped a little on the tighter side....38ish??
I'm running much less boost (2lb/1lb with Apten) and thats the gap I used; I'm planning to go to .34/.35 to see what it does. Maybe Rob should go closer 22lbs of boost and dyno it..

Last edited by captainoblivious; 06-21-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:32 PM
The more boost you run the tighter you have to make the gap. But when you get down to about .030~.032 you start running into cranking/idle issues. With big boost you try to run a bigger gap it tries to "blow out" the spark.

Old 06-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Rob_02Lightning

I guess I have to except the fact that all I really do have is a lttle more boost than some, and maybe I'm just expecting too much, BUT I'm sorry I really didnt think an xtra 50 HP was asking too much of the new upgraded Exhaust, Air, Fuel, and S/C set up ???

My goals were not out of reason, (480-500 off Spray) so I truly saw no reason to go for the Heads and Cams. Remember n20 is my Race Tune, and thats "a minimum" of another 100HP at any time
Yes I wanted to chase the dream, and I felt I needed at least 600HP on race day to do it, so getting 480-500 off spray was very important, I fell very short of that.
Rob,

I don't think that were asking for too much. I made 441/541 with a ported blower, 5# lower and 2.8 upper on a stock motor.

I made 481/554 with a KB @ 15.5# of boost on a stock motor. The HP would have been a little higher but he let off at 5200 rpm.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Not to start anything but do tell what "handy work" you have seen. I am getting tired of this stuff without any proof of a problem.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:48 PM

Uh oh, this outta be interesting...

Please fill us all in.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by tommylightning
Not to start anything but do tell what "handy work" you have seen. I am getting tired of this stuff without any proof of a problem.
You know very well the ST Louis area truck I'm talking about and it's problems. What sad is all the new problems that are revealed everytime work is done on truck.

How could you not know you stripped multiple header bolts? Did you pour a bottle of Loc-tite down each plug hole with each plug because they wont come out.? Is a spark plug inserted in a stripped header bung standard practice?

You are such a hack who doesn't stand behind his mistakes. Pull out your checkbook and take care of your problems.

Old 06-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Can't this go into some other thread instead of Rob's?

Quick Reply: I installed a Ported Eaton (Wasp Generation 2)