Lightning

Can't get one gotdam plug out! (Help?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Can't get one gotdam plug out! (Help?)

The 3rd one back on the passenger side.

It seems as if the hex may be rounded, as I can't get the socket to grab it to loosen for the life of me. I even tried a 16 & 17 mm in addition to the 5/8th's.

I've never had this happen before in my 20 or so years phucking with cars, and on this ridiculous design we call modular, it looks like one plug is never coming out.

Any ideas?

By the way, I'll respectfully disagree with NOT using anti-sieze, because if I had, it probably wouldn't be so locked in place. Since my junk is a 2004 model year, it shouldn't spit any plugs with anti-sieze.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Get a mirror and look to see whats down in the plug hole. Sounds like you have something thats blocking the socket.

Scott

Old 06-22-2005, 12:38 AM
I feel your pain!

You might try some break free type stuff or penatrating oil of some kind.

I have never heard of this problem before and have done many plug changes.

Sears also sells a robo type deep socket that acts like a vice gripp.

That might help you out. Take your time when you try to get it out.

"Never hate your enemy it coulds your judgement!"

Peace,

Suavy

Old 06-22-2005, 01:07 AM
I had the exact same thing happen to me on the driver's rear plug. I spent 2 hours F'in with it and finally concluded that I must have somehow cross-threaded that plug at my last plug change. I resolved that the head may have to be replaced - I was sick about it!!

I decided at that point "what more harm could I do?"

I tapped the socket in place over the plug and finally got it to 'bite' and got the plug out. There was a band of fiberous material covering one side of the hex portion of the plug, right where the socket fits.

Upon closer examination, the fiberous mass was actually a few june bugs that got into the plug hole after the plug, but before the COP and fried in place.
Damn I hate humid Texas days with all the freakin bugs!!! I found about a doxen more carcases along the intake rail and in the intake valley when I pulled the motor.

Herb

Old 06-22-2005, 03:31 AM
Thumbs up

Turns out a previously cut tie strap fell down the hole.

I appreciate the heads up. I sure wasn't thinking anything was in there.

Even though I am super careful, I WD-40 the coil pack screws, and start them by hand, one of them absolutely wouldn't go in straight. So, I forced it down, took it back out, put some anti-sieze on it and used it. It went down far enough to clamp the coil pack. I just feel bad because I feel like the truck is more of a POS when little things go wrong. I suppose a helicoil would fix it right up.

Well, it's 3:27 AM EST, so I better get going. :o

Thanks again.

Old 06-22-2005, 05:12 AM
Just an added point it always pays to blow compressed air into the spark plug well, to clear out any grit sand or any other things that may find there way in. I always do it before removal and after installation. Artie

Old 06-22-2005, 08:48 AM
you must buy the snap on long spark socket. it makes it a breeze. order it and then try again. i am sure there is a lightning brother in your area that has one. not sure if it will solve you issue but it will make changing all your pplugs much easier.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by ARTIE54
Just an added point it always pays to blow compressed air into the spark plug well, to clear out any grit sand or any other things that may find there way in. I always do it before removal and after installation. Artie
I did that even after I finally looked and saw the tie strap in there. Believe it or not, it wouldn't come out. I finally got it out with a coat hanger.

Last edited by Blown347Hatch; 06-22-2005 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by halflife
you must buy the snap on long spark socket. it makes it a breeze. order it and then try again. i am sure there is a lightning brother in your area that has one. not sure if it will solve you issue but it will make changing all your pplugs much easier.
I will do that. I am at the point where I will do whatever to make it easier.

The first time I did this, it only took 2 hours. Last night, everything went wrong and it took 6 hours because of all the time wasted on the tie wrap plug hole and the cross threaded coil pack screw.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:18 AM
took me 3 hours first time. bought the snap on socket and found the right size extension to use to get the 7mm coil pack screw out and it takes about 45 minutes now. expensive socket , i think like $60 but well worth it.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by halflife
I'm looking on Ebay. Which one exactly is it? There are many different types. I want to make sure I get the right one.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:30 AM
I have the snap/on socket if you want I'll get the number off it when iI get home and put it on line for you. Artie

Old 06-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Blown347Hatch
I'm looking on Ebay. Which one exactly is it? There are many different types. I want to make sure I get the right one.
Long Snapon socket

Dan

Old 06-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by LIGHTNINROD
Holy cow 57$ for a socket.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by LIGHTNINROD

$56.95 OMG...for 1 socket

Quick Reply: Can't get one gotdam plug out! (Help?)