Lightning

truck feels flat...any opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005 | 09:13 PM
|
truck feels flat...any opinions

hey i've had a 4lb pulley installed for a while with the stock plugs and i just changed them to ngk tr6's gapped at .036 and the truck feels flat. Its kinda flat all over the place. Does anyone have any opinions? Plugs crappy or wrong gap or just the tune?

I've also got a sb tb, jlp intake, ftvb and a tune from rwtd

i know i need to get it on the dyno but does anyone have any ideas......thanks in advance

Old 07-02-2005 | 10:19 PM
heat?

gapping does have an affect on top end, etc....what did you gap them at?

-Mike

Old 07-03-2005 | 07:52 AM
Dont make sence kwilt ?
Are you saying it was fine on the stock plugs and not fine on the TR6's ?

"IF" thats the case then of course make sure you didn't leave a line off, something unpluged, etc...

.036 is a good Gap and a happy medium that shouldn't give you problems.
"IF" your feeling a kind of off and on feeling, like the power is coming and going when your well into it, you might be experiencing some Detonation, that'll make the truck feel weird, like the power is falling off and coming back.

A 4lb isn't too big, pull the Chip and give it a try, just dont stay into it crazy long, you'll be fine. (make sure you have GOOD GAS, and good octane)

BTW,
How long since you changed the Fuel Filter ???

Old 07-03-2005 | 08:29 AM
|
thanks for the info, it doesn't feel like its on and off power it gets to 12lbs but it feels really flat in the power band region. I really don't know if it is the plugs because i didn't really get on it to hard with the stock plugs in. I checked to see if everything was plugged back in and i'm pretty certain that it is but i'll double check. I will go ahead and change the fuel filter and see where that gets me.

on your guys tunes do you have the timing so its a max timing because I think rwtd has mine so its a max timing of 17 degrees at WOT, just wondering if that would be a problem. I'd think that you'd want the timing not to be constant like that but i don't know to much. Thanks again

Old 07-03-2005 | 08:44 AM
It depends

On my street program Sal sets the timing (currently @ 16 degrees) but DOES NOT lock it. The factory computer will still add and subtract based on temp and conditions.

A little Factoid:
In the extreme cold, the computer can and will add up to 3 degrees

But on my N20 program, we have the timing LOCKED

RWTD knows his schitt, James tuned for me for the first year or two,
but sometimes it does take a few trys to get a custom tune right when it's done through the mail and not on a dyno. No biggy, just report back as much info as you can and he'll take care of you I'm sure.

Location, Elevation, Octane, Type of Fuel, "EVERYTHING" plays a part.....
if you have a way of getting him your AF that would be a grand slam

Old 07-03-2005 | 12:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by kwilt
hey i've had a 4lb pulley installed for a while with the stock plugs and i just changed them to ngk tr6's gapped at .036 and the truck feels flat. Its kinda flat all over the place. Does anyone have any opinions? Plugs crappy or wrong gap or just the tune?

I've also got a sb tb, jlp intake, ftvb and a tune from rwtd

i know i need to get it on the dyno but does anyone have any ideas......thanks in advance
Same exact thing happen to me. TR6's gapped at .036 and the truck was a dawg. Put the stock plugs back in; night and day difference. So I stuck with the stock plugs. Plus when I pulled the stockers out they looked just fine. I had many miles and numerous 1320 passes on the stock plugs with a 4lber and tune. IMHO all trucks are different and my truck does not like the TR6's. I would be willing to wager that if you put the stock plugs back in you will see and feel the difference. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-04-2005 | 10:46 AM
|
anybody else experience what Txoutlaw and myself have seemed to experience with the tr6's? I don't want to put the stock plugs back in because of the amount of boost now. So does that mean that I should get the denso's or motorcraft make a colder plug similar to the stock plug.

Txoutlaw did you leave the gapping at the stock gap or did you regap them when you put the stockers back in? Thanks for any help.

Kris

Old 07-04-2005 | 09:09 PM
|
bump

Old 07-05-2005 | 01:07 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by kwilt
Txoutlaw did you leave the gapping at the stock gap or did you regap them when you put the stockers back in? Thanks for any help.

Kris
Kris when I pulled my original plugs, all but three were gapped @ .045. I believe the specs are .042 - .046. So before I re-installed my stock plugs, I just made sure they were all gapped @ .045.

Below is a chart that was put together by TampaBlack99. It may offer you some other plug choices. Hope this helps.

One thing I failed to mention in my last post is I run an ICEE Chiller system on my truck that uses the A/C to cool the intercooler coolant and it keeps it around 50 degrees F. So that may be the reason I can run the stock plugs with a 4lber and a tune. I apoligize for not mentioning that in my last post. The last thing I want is for someone to damage their truck based on something I suggested. So you may want to discuss the plug issue with your tuner.

Todd

Last edited by Txoutlaw; 07-05-2005 at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply: truck feels flat...any opinions