Lightning

*RACE TESTED* No2 Test Results!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005 | 05:21 PM
racetested as you know I have been working and testing a progressive nitrous controller for a school project. Myself and my partner are using a set of NX solenoids that we had laying around and have found some interesting things. The NX solenoids if pulsed over 20Hz cannot respond fast enough because of their inductance the solenoid itself actually ramps open and closed and most of the time will never fully open or close. After we figured out how to deal with this by pulsing the system slower we found that you need to pulse your fuel and have a much higher duty cycle since fuel is an incompressable liquid while the nitrous is not. When the system was pulsed at 50% we have very near 50% fuel flow it was closer to 55 which was within spec as far as we were concerned. The nitrous on the other hand was flowing nearly 90% of the flow. As far as we can tell so far is that the line line from the solenoid to the jet is the problem. The orafice "spelling?" difference between the outlet of the solenoid and the much smaller jet makes the line act as a reservoir so the pressure in the line just builds and builds which makes the nitrous flow at a much higher rate that is wanted. What we are working on now if a way to move the jet to either the feed side of the nitrous solenoid so there is effectivly no place for a reservoir or move the jet very very close to the solenoid. I don't know if anyone has checked thier systems to see if their wideband shows lean conditions on the ramp up. Just some information I thought I would pass along. Sorry for such a long post.

Old 07-05-2005 | 05:27 PM
My humble apologies to the board organisers if I've broken the rules but I assumed that because the thread was based on a positive report on my products that I'd be OK to clarify and enlarge on any associated matters.

Thank you for allowing my posts and please feel free to edit or delete any inappropriate sections of them.

Regards

Trev

Old 07-05-2005 | 06:10 PM
Damntwizzler,

WELL DONE that man!!!

You are the ONLY person I've ever seen a post from that has determined the problems with 'ordinary' solenoid designs, appreciated the consequences and understood the implications.

I've spent 1,000s of hours trying to enlighten educated people to the facts you have just stated and yet most of them still claim any solenoid will respond to pulsing adequately - which as your independent test results have proved, is RUBBISH!!!!

I've also spent 1,000s of hours perfecting the design of my Pulsoids to achieve optimum results that do not suffer from any of the problems you've discovered. My Pulsoids are the only solenoids that have been 'designed' to be pulsed. The response rate of ordinary fuel solenoids is different to that of the Nitrous solenoids that they are paired with, which results in uneven delivery of fuel relative to nitrous. My Pulsoids are designed to respond as close as possible at the same rate as each other and at the highest frequency over the widest percentage range.

You're also right about the reservoir effect due to the jet location, which is one of the reasons my metering jets are positioned in the Pulsoid outlets (rather than at the nozzle as they are in other systems).
I wouldn't try putting the jets at the inlet side of the solenoid as you'll suffer from too much phase change (loss of density). I can't tell you all the tricks of my trade but I can tell you that you are on the right track and it's GREAT to hear about your results.

Keep up the good work and I hope you'll go far.

Regards

Trev The WIZARD of NOS

Ps. Would you mind making that post on my forum as there would be a lot of people interested in your results (you may also learn some more relavant info for your school project). http://www.noswizard.com/bboard/index.php

Quick Reply: *RACE TESTED* No2 Test Results!