Lightning

4# Lower

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4# Lower

Ok guys if I install this pully in my truck what chance of blowing something in my motor will be? I really want to have some extra horses under the hood but I like to put the pedal to the metal will I be in risk? the mods I want to do is ported eaton,air intake,ftvb,phonolic spacer and 4# pully Im waiting to put all of this at once I already have a couple, also I need a tune for that i think. I cant afford a new engine and I want to be on the safe side by the way my truck is an 04.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Just get a nice safe tune from a reputable tuner and you'll be good to go. There are thousands of guys running that setup with no problem.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:38 PM
add TR6 plugs, dyno & tune and have fun...safely!!!

Old 07-06-2005, 12:12 AM
So with A good tune everything will be fine, if you run the truck without a tune there will be problems? also will I need to change plugs like kromdom mention, thanks for the replies guys

Old 07-06-2005, 07:14 AM
#4 with a good tune Is fine...............

PEacE...............................
Jim

Old 07-06-2005, 09:39 AM
I initially put my 4lb, chip, and filter without changing the plugs...but eventually ran into detonation.

I wouldn't run more boost than stock for long, esp. not with a ported eaton

-Mike

Old 07-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by litnfast
Just get a nice safe tune from a reputable tuner and you'll be good to go. There are thousands of guys running that setup with no problem.
But there are also many who have had problems.

"I cant afford a new engine . . ."

Then leave it alone. You already have 350 at the wheels. Don't write a check that you can't cash. There are plenty of engine-safe mods out there, but they also cost a lot for what they deliver and will increase the chance of warranty rejection.

Increasing the boost is the path to power. But this cannot be done without increasing the risk of engine failure. No 4 lb tune is a safe as the one that Ford gave you.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:50 PM
So no 4lb will be safe, Ill problably do the other mods not a pulley to be on the safe side.

Old 07-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Tim, I see that you have a 4lb lower on your truck, so you don't have a chip or any after market tune. Do you just run the stock tune on your truck? Ford spent big $$$ for the tune on our trucks, so i agree they are the best. But i thought if you mod you need to tune, or your truck won't run right and may cause you big problems. Heck i'd love to be able to run my stock tune with no worries.

Old 07-06-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by HI 'O' SILVER
Tim, I see that you have a 4lb lower on your truck, so you don't have a chip or any after market tune. Do you just run the stock tune on your truck? Ford spent big $$$ for the tune on our trucks, so i agree they are the best. But i thought if you mod you need to tune, or your truck won't run right and may cause you big problems. Heck i'd love to be able to run my stock tune with no worries.
I'm not entirely up to speed on Tim's setup, but I will answer your question, hopefully...

The Ford tune is not the end-all of tunes....it's just VERY conservative, hence very very rich. lots of guys report stock A/F ratios of around 11.0

also, it is true that it is VERY wise to tune your truck with the addition of mods, upgrading boost, etc. however, in the hot hot hot months, a 4lb will more than likely not hurt anything without a tune (esp. considering the factory tune is so rich). However, I'd have it specially tuned in the cold months. After October you start seeing many guys report in with blown motors because of this

also, Tim could have put a 4lb on there with the plans of tuning it later.... remember, so long as you odn't punch it, these trucks are basically just F150's.

-Mike

Old 07-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
But there are also many who have had problems.

"I cant afford a new engine . . ."

Then leave it alone. You already have 350 at the wheels. Don't write a check that you can't cash. There are plenty of engine-safe mods out there, but they also cost a lot for what they deliver and will increase the chance of warranty rejection.

Increasing the boost is the path to power. But this cannot be done without increasing the risk of engine failure. No 4 lb tune is a safe as the one that Ford gave you.

Tim... you know us L owners don't know wtf this "stock" thing is.

-Mike

Quick Reply: 4# Lower