Lightning

pcv kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wont let me order. Keeps saying "This credit card is already registered in your PayPal account." What a hassle.....

Old 07-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Rob - Is the check valve on the driver's side the same type as the one on the passenger side? Meaning the same part number and size?

I assume its the same flow direction as the passenger side where it allows air into the engine but not out of it..

Thanks

Last edited by Missouri03L; 07-10-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Rotfl.... tried to order the other option it gives you.

Our records indicate that this email address and credit card are already registered to an existing PayPal account. To complete this transaction, please enter a different credit card and email address.

To log in to your existing PayPal account, please click the Login button below.
Wow I never seen such a hassle to order something online in my life. I ordered $5000 in computer equipment from newegg at one shot. I buy stuff off ebay no problem. This is really starting to **** me off! Is there any "paypal-less" sites I can get this kit off of?

Old 07-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Haha...I figured out the problem. When my new credit card came I needed to update the new expiration date on the paypal website. Got it ordered FINALLY...lol.

Old 07-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Just something to think about;

This PCV "kit" used by Rob was first put out by a company called "Lightning Enterprises," probably about 3 years ago. If you do a "search" on here for PCV's, you'll find that this kit does not seem to work for all. I don't know why, but you'll find many that tried it - and it didn't help. I dont know why it seems to work for Rob, but not for many others.

Old 07-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Robert Francis

This PCV "kit" used by Rob was first put out by a company called "Lightning Enterprises," probably about 3 years ago. If you do a "search" on here for PCV's, you'll find that this kit does not seem to work for all. I don't know why, but you'll find many that tried it - and it didn't help. I dont know why it seems to work for Rob, but not for many others.
Hmmm... Is there really harm to worry about with this pcv oil problem? If it was a big problem that would hurt the motor, wouldn't have Ford offered updated parts on thier own like when they updated the plug thread count for example?

Old 07-10-2005, 02:34 PM
emig5m
a pictures speaks a THOUSAND words , take a look at an intercooler without any kind of fix (oil sep, breather, pcv, etc.) in place: http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread...hreadid=100203

Cheaper for FORD to fix & pay isolated cases as they come. A RECALL is not only very, very costly but is also bad for image and reputation.

Old 07-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by kromdom
emig5m
a pictures speaks a THOUSAND words , take a look at an intercooler without any kind of fix (oil sep, breather, pcv, etc.) in place: http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread...hreadid=100203

Cheaper for FORD to fix & pay isolated cases as they come. A RECALL is not only very, very costly but is also bad for image and reputation.
Wow, that's pretty dirty, lol. I only have 2,300 miles on my L right now so I'd like to get a fix soon before mine gets like that. So do you think that kit from the link above helps? I mean, if it only helps 60%, over time that should add up to alot. They didn't really have to do a recall though, just update to new parts for the next year Lightning when the problem was made aware of just like they did with the heads. Then people with older L's could of just bought the updated parts and installed them themselves.

So with the kit above I need to add a oil separator or what? Or is the kit by itself good enough? Sorry for the n00b questions but I just wanna take care of this truck as good and make it as reliable as possible!

Old 07-10-2005, 07:44 PM
No it is not the same as the PCV valve,
AS for "does it work in the same direction" I want to say yes,
but would have to check it again to make sure.....

I can only add this

On the old motor, I would have to say I prob had my TB off and on 20 times (for various reasons), each and every time I did, the Rubber Inlet Boot, Throttle Body, and the inside of the Upper, was absolutely soaked in Oil.

Once I put this Mod on, (as said along with the Breather) --> ZERO Oil from that point on. When I pulled the Supercharger with well over 10K of HARD MILES on it, the Intercooler was spotless.

Now on the new Motor:

Originally Posted by Rob_02Lightning
I aint even going there, way to many opinions on it.

BUT I have checked my Throttle Body many times
over the last few months, and at 150 miles on the new motor
it was filled with oil, waaaaaaaaaay more than I expected.
Checked it again @ 300 miles and again tons of oil.

I then put the Lightning Enterprise Kit back on,
Working PCV for Pass Side, and 2nd Valve for Drivers Side.
ALSO put my Breather back on "with my Check Valve Mod"

RESULTS

DRY AS DRY CAN BE at now over 1000 miles, WOO HOO
That was about 500 - 800 miles ago and a few weeks ago when I pulled the Supercharger, once again I found ZERO oil in the Boot, TB, Upper, and Intercooler. I just checked some old Pic's I have of it, and it seems they were taken on Feb 12th 2003, so I guess I've been running it since at least then, and for whatever reason, along with my Breather and Check Valve Mod,
IT SURLY WORKS FOR ME

Old 07-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Robert Francis

Something else to think about too:

I thought I had problems w/ mine after being installed for a few months.
I originally installed it and it worked fine....then one day doing some other work I disassembled a lot of the upper intake portion of the motor and re-installed it w/ one of the PCV valves backwards... then next time I pulled the air filter for maint on the CAI I found oil on the TB and thought WTF? I checked my install vs. a friends and found the backwards valve, corrected it and again problem solved...

Moral of the story...check the flow direction of the PCV valves when you install the kit... The valve @ the drivers side intake was allowing flow into the intake on mine instead of restricting it

Old 07-10-2005, 10:47 PM
If you do a "search" on here and/or on the NLOC's forums - you'll find more posts and ideas and theories on this "problem" than just about anything else - and it has been discussed for at least 4 years. And theres some really good informative interesting and knowledgable posts on what guys have done to attempt to resolve the probelm of "oil in the intake." Interestingly enough, a few don't report having the probelm, and some just decided to ignore it - but from what's been reported on here - the vast majority of us do have this problem to some extent -particularly if your hard into boost and getting off the throttle quickly. If you do a "search," you'll find dozens of photos of those that have taken off their intercooler and/or their throttle bodies if you want to see something really crudded up.

Summarizing up from what I can recall; no one has come with any good reason to put oil vapor in the intake - and there's lots of good valid reasons why you don't want to do so - no one knows for a "fact" why Ford designed the PCV system the way it did - and all types of devices have been tried by dozens of guys on here to minimize and eliminate this problem and I've only seen a few that I can recall (and my memory is easily challenged, so other systems I don't recall may have worked equally well) that seemed to resolve the problem. The two systems I've recalled that guys seem to be satisfied that do eliminate the oil vapors in the intake are; one, being the seperator marketed from L & S (Vince's - a contributing vendor on here I believe) - and two, eliminating the PCV system all together. No PCV system, no oil in the intake.

There were a few other systems I dont recall well that some guys tried using, but I don't recall how they liked them - Gredy Catch Can, etc. Rob's system is unique - as I recall the "Lightning Enterprise Kit" didnt use any kind of check valve between the breather and valve cover that Rob uses. Maybe it's the combination of things that Rob uses that work. And I vaguely recall another guy who used some unique check valve system - but I don't recall how well it worked.

Lots of guys used seperators typical to those that are frequently marketed (the LFP, Campbell-Hausfeld type)- some even ran two together - some put one on the drivers side and another on the passenger side - then theres a system that runs a hose from each valve cover top one breather - but from what I've seen on here, many of us got rid of them after a while as they seem to clog quickly and dont seem to be totally effective anyway. Many have kept them on - knowing they don't totally eliminate the oil vapors, but would rather not deactivate the PCV system - and it's better than nothing.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Just wanted to say I recieved my pcv kit and installed it in bout two minutes. Its just replacing the pcv valve on the passenger side and putting the check valve in on the drivers side. Looks like a well made kit. Im workin on my own check valve so I can vent the oil filler neck. I couldnt find a round check valve like Rob has , so Ive decided to use a small, 3/8in or 1/2in, square check valve with a breather on top. I picked up an extra oil fill cap at NAPA and I plan on tapppin it and screwing the check valve in to the cap.
Mickey

Old 07-15-2005, 11:20 PM
Got my PCV kit as well. I'll probably install it tomorrow. Hopefully it will give me 400hp/550rwtq.

(jusk kidding)

Old 07-16-2005, 02:20 AM
save your money.a dime is a perfect fit to plug off the hose that goes to the side of your blower.just my opinion (2nd year that way) plus it makes it boost up alot quicker.

TEAM SWANSON
2001 lightning(stock block)
529 r.w.h.(sae)
703 r.w.t.
1/4 11.9 @ 114
1/8 7.5 @ 93

Old 07-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by Mickey_shouse
Just wanted to say I recieved my pcv kit and installed it in bout two minutes. Its just replacing the pcv valve on the passenger side and putting the check valve in on the drivers side. Looks like a well made kit. Im workin on my own check valve so I can vent the oil filler neck. I couldnt find a round check valve like Rob has , so Ive decided to use a small, 3/8in or 1/2in, square check valve with a breather on top. I picked up an extra oil fill cap at NAPA and I plan on tapppin it and screwing the check valve in to the cap.
Mickey
I got mine too, my wife asked what is that, so I explained it to her, I think she got it . As much as I get on it I think I will be fine with this kit, it seems that driving style has allot to do with how well the kit works, I will be towing a small ski boat with it and doing some traveling, we will see, I would like to thank everyone for their input on this kit, this forom is a mountian of knowledge

Gary

Last edited by 1gr8gem; 07-16-2005 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: pcv kit