Lightning

MB build kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005 | 03:32 PM
|
MB build kit?

I need a MB but dont have the money to buy one already built. I do have the money to buy a MIAB build kit and total dom. converter. Is the kit easy enough to do your self? Does it come with good instructions? Do you have to mod anything or is it all switching parts? Thanks.

Old 07-13-2005 | 03:54 PM
if you can name all 800 parts in our transmissions then i'm sure you could do it yourself. I would remove the tranny take then kit and your tranny to a tranny shop and have them do it then put the tranny back in.

Will

Old 07-13-2005 | 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by DARE YA
I need a MB but dont have the money to buy one already built. I do have the money to buy a MIAB build kit and total dom. converter. Is the kit easy enough to do your self? Does it come with good instructions? Do you have to mod anything or is it all switching parts? Thanks.
You really need a professional to build it. Preferably one that knows 4R100's too. It comes with a few tips that a pro would understand but the novice can ruin it.

Tim@Chickenears

Old 07-13-2005 | 04:15 PM
|
About how many hours does it take a pro?

Old 07-13-2005 | 04:43 PM
get a mb the first time around.

trust me...

Old 07-13-2005 | 05:47 PM
I would say 6-8hrs of labor would be a fair price to pay. Shops don't like and get insulted when someone walks in with their own parts. You won't getting a warranty to go a long with it either.

Off topic: I had some azzclown come to my shop last Saturday crying he had no money and couldn't fix his car until the following week. He asked if I would diagnose his problem for free. So I said hey, I can understand, sure I will take a look at for no charge since I will be fixing it next week.
I diagnose it and give him an estimate.
He called me today because he bought the parts himself and tried doing it. He can't and now he wants me to install his part for him.
HaHa. -Mat-

Old 07-14-2005 | 04:02 AM
Originally Posted by SVT F15O
Shops don't like and get insulted when someone walks in with their own parts.
-Mat-
No flame intended, but why is this?

Old 07-14-2005 | 05:09 AM
They make money on parts too! What about the kit mark at LFP sells? There was one on ebay a while back.

Old 07-14-2005 | 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by Odellintulsa
They make money on parts too! What about the kit mark at LFP sells? There was one on ebay a while back.
Yeah, I know they make money on parts too. But, why is it "insulting" for a customer to want to save money by buying cheaper parts? I'd assume most profit comes from labor anyway.

I usually try to find my parts elsewhere, but have never noticed it was insulting to bring them into a shop.

Last edited by baddgene; 07-14-2005 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-14-2005 | 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by baddgene
I usually try to find my parts elsewhere, but have never noticed it was insulting to bring them into a shop.
Some shops that have a crazy labor rate won't feel the same way.
Some shops like it also because they don't have to warranty customer supllied parts.
A shop is in business to make money, when they get undercut by the parts guy down the street or at anothe shop, that can't do that.
The automotive business is very cut-throat(well atleats in my area).
I can quote a price on a rebuilt transmission, then my customer will call around and get a price of a few bucks cheaper.
They pull the car out of my shop and take it there.
That shops buys a used tranny, cleans it up and sells it like a rebuild.
-Mat-

Quick Reply: MB build kit?