Lightning

what are some good fuel additives and oil treatments?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005 | 06:51 PM
|
what are some good fuel additives and oil treatments?

I was just curious as to what were some good fuel/oil additives to use..I've been using the chevron techroline fuel additive but saw Marvel Mystery oil & gas treatment.. Also I heard Lucas has a big name and wanted to know how would you rate there gas treatment? I know basically all of them do the same thing as far as helping the fuel system. I aslo heard some bad things about how boosters and additives can harm your plugs etc. I started to buy some Marvel mystery or Lucas today but skeptical and wanted to see what you guys thought about them first.. Prestone has a lineup also..

Old 07-16-2005 | 07:49 PM
IMO, Seafoam is one of if not the best additive 'familys' there is.

I've also use Marvel Mystery Oil for 40 years or so.

I use both products in the oil and in the fuel from time-to-time.

Dan

Old 07-16-2005 | 10:53 PM
Old 07-19-2005 | 09:13 AM
Pro-Long

Here's what my SCCA Buddy uses on his Winston Cup NASCAR motor..good old Pro-Long combined with Mobil 1 synthetic oil. His engine looked very clean and all parts were reusable at his last teardown, and he beats it up, trust me!!! I used Pro-Long in the oil and a bottle of STP Fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank on my old 5.0 Mustang that lasted well over 200,000 miles with no fuel sytem problems or engine problems. I also changed the oil every 6 instead of 3. The STP comes in a red as well as black bottle, one of them is to be used every oil change and the other at every fill-up, plus I ONLY use Chevron fuel. Techron works great too, and Fords LOVE IT!! Happy Trails!

Old 07-19-2005 | 09:19 AM
..continued...

Originally Posted by bwkelley76
Here's what my SCCA Buddy uses on his Winston Cup NASCAR motor..good old Pro-Long combined with Mobil 1 synthetic oil. His engine looked very clean and all parts were reusable at his last teardown, and he beats it up, trust me!!! I used Pro-Long in the oil and a bottle of STP Fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank on my old 5.0 Mustang that lasted well over 200,000 miles with no fuel sytem problems or engine problems. I also changed the oil every 6 instead of 3. The STP comes in a red as well as black bottle, one of them is to be used every oil change and the other at every fill-up, plus I ONLY use Chevron fuel. Techron works great too, and Fords LOVE IT!! Happy Trails!
Almost forgot, another reason for pro-long, I had a buddy that had a bottom-end knock, and he put a bottle of pro-long in, finished his road-trip, with oil pressure light on most of the time, and then took it to the shop, the shop could not get it to feeze up, so they drained all the oil and started it, it still would not freeze-up, so the let it run for like 30 minuts and it still WOULD NOT freeze up! 30 minutes, running without oil? hmm, Prolong has my vote

Old 07-19-2005 | 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by bwkelley76
Almost forgot, another reason for pro-long, I had a buddy that had a bottom-end knock, and he put a bottle of pro-long in, finished his road-trip, with oil pressure light on most of the time, and then took it to the shop, the shop could not get it to feeze up, so they drained all the oil and started it, it still would not freeze-up, so the let it run for like 30 minuts and it still WOULD NOT freeze up! 30 minutes, running without oil? hmm, Prolong has my vote
BS!

Old 07-19-2005 | 01:05 PM
Seafoam and Chevron's Techron are both pretty O.K.

Old 07-20-2005 | 10:32 AM
??

Originally Posted by LIGHTNINROD
BS!
Great, another thread gone down the tubes from a non-believer. Belive what you want Rod, I was skeptical, too. I'm not one for "snake oil" and would NEVER use Slick 50 either, OR the STP oil additive that clogged the oil sumo if the temperature was less than 100 degrees outside. Being that I was head of the pit crew for an SCCA PRO 1998 World Championship car that used this oil combination, and the fact that I'm an ASE certified automotive tech with 11 years of experience would mean nothing to you as well. I took that engine apart with my bare hands and saw with my own eyes that everything looked new after NUMEROUS hours of abuse. We used that engine for two-seasons longer than the previous engine, and all we did different was the pro-long. 3 seasons on that baby!!! I'm sold, and being that it was 20-grand to rebuild the engine EVERY season, it saved us 40g's!! I'm SOLD on the stuff.

Old 07-20-2005 | 02:43 PM
will pro long work w/ full syn. oil ( sorry don't know much about oil)
thanks!

Old 07-20-2005 | 02:47 PM
by the way, i remeber when i was younger seeing the prolong commercial and watching them drain the oil and run then motor w/o oil , then pour dirt down the fill tube. either it's black magic, tv trickery, or it works.

maybe i'll run my truck down the 1/4 w/ just prolong and dirt!!!

Old 07-20-2005 | 07:37 PM
I apologize bfk. That's the first time I've posted a "BS". It wasn't against the Pro-long but against the 30 minutes running the engine with no oil that made me post that.

Your credentials are outstanding but how can an engine run like that with no lubrication. The Pro-long would have been fried in a matter of minutes if not seconds causing the bearings to at least score the crank journals and the cam(s), valve stems, cylinder walls, etc. would have been ruined.

It just sounded like a late night infomercial.

Dan

Old 07-21-2005 | 10:17 AM
lol

Originally Posted by LIGHTNINROD
I apologize bfk. That's the first time I've posted a "BS". It wasn't against the Pro-long but against the 30 minutes running the engine with no oil that made me post that.

Your credentials are outstanding but how can an engine run like that with no lubrication. The Pro-long would have been fried in a matter of minutes if not seconds causing the bearings to at least score the crank journals and the cam(s), valve stems, cylinder walls, etc. would have been ruined.

It just sounded like a late night infomercial.

Dan
It's ok Dan, sorry to jump all over ya, I'm just sold on the stuff, and I was talking to an old racing GURU, Ed Mosler about this last night... The pro-long is really thin, and it gets into the places that regular oil wont, and it doesn't "dilute" your oil either, it just gets in the metal ans STAYS. Now I dind't like this idea because it made me thing "great, it's gonna build-up and leave sludge" NOPE, it doesn't at all. It's all about happy mediums, and these guys finally found a good middle ground, a good, penetrive solution that treats the metal, sticks to it, and doesn't turn into GUM (aka, SLICK-50...LOL) but once the engine is treated, it stays lubricated well enough to keep from freezing up. The reason the guys at that shop were trying to blow that engine up was so that "warranty" would give the guy a new one, and it was a test done by "Mistake"..and well, the pro-long just wasn't gonna let it. I've also heard of certain engines running on low or no oil, idling for a while without popping, but ALL of them POP if you give them a good rev. I think they had to rev this one up pretty good before it finally popped, or scored the bearings enough to consider it a loss. Just extra insurance guys.

Old 07-21-2005 | 10:20 AM
Yes

Originally Posted by blown330
will pro long work w/ full syn. oil ( sorry don't know much about oil)
thanks!
Yes it will, we used it with FUll Synthetic Mobil 1

Old 07-21-2005 | 10:36 AM
Wasn't ProLong hit big time with a class action lawsuit? I've always stayed away from all oil additives.
-c

Old 07-21-2005 | 11:05 AM
Prolong is crap. It is chlorinated and can create hydrochloric acid in your crankcase if you do short trips.

Quick Reply: what are some good fuel additives and oil treatments?