Lightning

Finally Got Spindles to Work

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt
and check your nuts.
don't know if this is the right time or place, but i gotta let this out: HEHEHE (laughing like a little school girl)

Old 07-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Here's kind of a picture of where I had to grind the spindle down for the caliper. Red arrow points to the surface. I guess I need to check the grade of the nuts but Belltech knew what the application was I don't know why they would send a grade 2 nut. Then again I shouldn't have had to modify any of this in the first place. Ok where can I find a jig to wire tie the nut and does anyone have a picture of a wire tied nut? Thanks.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...0095&anum=6163

Old 07-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is like freakin' amatuer hour.

There is simply no excuse for BellTech's apparent incompetence. Caliper clearance grinding? Nut grinding? Soft nuts with no securing mechanism? These guys are in the suspension business and should know better.

This is not brain surgery. The part should fit right out of the box. I am beginning to question whether a part designed and manufactured by these these idiots can be relied upon.

Old 07-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Its hard to see. Was the grinding on the spindle very minor?

The sway bar looks good. Did you use En. Susp. part # 9.8119- 3 3/8" ?

TB

Old 07-22-2005, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
This is like freakin' amatuer hour.

There is simply no excuse for BellTech's apparent incompetence. Caliper clearance grinding? Nut grinding? Soft nuts with no securing mechanism? These guys are in the suspension business and should know better.

This is not brain surgery. The part should fit right out of the box. I am beginning to question whether a part designed and manufactured by these these idiots can be relied upon.
I called them today and discussed all the issues and told them how disappointed I was that they had told me 3 weeks ago that they had done several Lightnings. The guy confirmed that this wasn't true. I asked him if he realizes the aggravation they are causing to several Lightning owners.

What they will do:
They are asking the Lightning owners to fax their receipt to their office to confirm purchase and they will in turn send the slim nut.

He also said to use a chisel to score the threads in order to secure the slim nut. Apparently, this is clearly indicated in their instructions provided with the spindles.

By doing this they are confirming that they support this application and consequently,(in the attempted solution) become liable if their product is deemed unsafe.????????

I have a few friends who design suspension components for OEM. I will show them the pics. in this thread. So far, this doesn't inspire confidence in this set up.

TB

Last edited by TrackBeast; 07-22-2005 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:17 PM
to cover their azz, they should just say "must use 20" wheels or larger."

Old 07-22-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by My Red-Rocket
Here's kind of a picture of where I had to grind the spindle down for the caliper. Red arrow points to the surface. I guess I need to check the grade of the nuts but Belltech knew what the application was I don't know why they would send a grade 2 nut. Then again I shouldn't have had to modify any of this in the first place. Ok where can I find a jig to wire tie the nut and does anyone have a picture of a wire tied nut? Thanks.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...0095&anum=6163

Red don't take it for granted that Belltech knows it's nuts. Fasteners is what I do for a living and you would be scared to death at some of the stuff engineers either over look, take for granted, or simply don't know. Not that they would knowingly do it but be careful. I have designed many custom fasteners to replace poor designs. That includeds all of the big 3. Big Blue included.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:38 PM
The grinding wasn't much, probably an 1/8" at most for the caliper. I would suggest grinding and test fitting. Part # 9.8119 is correct for the endlinks I used. TB let us know what your friend says or Silver-Bolt do you have a fastener that will solve our problem or where can I get a jig to wire tie the nut? Thanks.

Old 07-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by My Red-Rocket
The grinding wasn't much, probably an 1/8" at most for the caliper. I would suggest grinding and test fitting. Part # 9.8119 is correct for the endlinks I used. TB let us know what your friend says or Silver-Bolt do you have a fastener that will solve our problem or where can I get a jig to wire tie the nut? Thanks.
Do happen to know the thread diameter and thread pitch? I may be able to come up with something if I have that info. Jegs, Summit, most any speed supply shop. Or even a good sized motorcycle shop should have safety wire tools. Drilling the spindle won't be fun.

Old 07-23-2005, 12:15 PM
The grinding to clear the caliper has me wondering??
Will my Wilwood calipers clear this? From what you guys have gone through I am a bit scared to buy them and turn into a R&D source for Belltech to make their product work.
I Think they need to comp the cost of the spindles to you guys as a show of good faith for all the crap you are doing for them (that should have been done at Belltech) Consultant fee
I would never trust nuts that are locked by striking the threads with a chisel.
Check into some racing fastners to get a short grade 8 locker, not a nylon locker but a hard nut type(sorry the name escapes me right now)
Drill and safety wire as well.

Old 07-23-2005, 02:47 PM
haveing to score the threads to hold this bitch on had just scared me away, this is friggin worse than backyard wrenching stuff. quality should be alot better than this from a company like Bell Tech

Old 07-24-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by LightninMike
haveing to score the threads to hold this bitch on had just scared me away, this is friggin worse than backyard wrenching stuff. quality should be alot better than this from a company like Bell Tech
What makes you think Belltech isn't a backyard company? ... because they advertise allot???

Not sure about Belltech, but most of these companies ie: Groundforce don't event make their own products. They just get it made at the lowest bidder and are barely involved in the actual engineering of the product.

TB

Old 07-24-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by TrackBeast
What makes you think Belltech isn't a backyard company? ... because they advertise allot???

TB
dont know about you but in my backyard i would have thought about that and not made people hack up new **** they just bought just to try to get it to fit

Old 07-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by LightninMike
dont know about you but in my backyard i would have thought about that and not made people hack up new **** they just bought just to try to get it to fit
Agreed. Many who take pride in their work (in their backyards) end up with a far better product than some to the crappy junk in the aftermarket. I still maintain that barely 5% of the aftermarket is what I would call a quality product.

TB

Old 07-24-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by TrackBeast
I still maintain that barely 5% of the aftermarket is what I would call a quality product.

TB
not in disagreement with ya on that one

Quick Reply: Finally Got Spindles to Work