Lightning

What size is our coil pack threads ? 5mm ? Need Tap....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What size is our coil pack threads ? 5mm ? Need Tap....

Sal had a little problem with one last time we changed plugs and I need to run a tap in it. I got the coil bolt out but the bolt was bend pretty bad.
My neighbor straightened the bolt out but it wont go in all the way now, at the moment I have a nut screwed on it and then put it back in, but I'd like to run a tap and get the bottom threads back to normal.

It's not stripped, just bottoms out before it snugs all the way up. I bought a complete MM Tap set from 6-13 (or something like that) but all are too big.
I assume it's 5mm ???
Anyone know where to get one ???
AND do they make an extention so I dont have to remove everything to get in there ????
Its the first coil on the drivers side, (alt and bracket prevent you from getting right on it), but you do have a straight path to it if I can find an extention ???

I guess I could just cut the bolt down, but I rather fix it right.....

Old 07-24-2005, 04:41 PM
I feel your pain Rob. I had one of those cross thread on me two spark plug changes ago. I used anti-sieze and ran the bolt in and out a couple times, and it fixed things right up.

Since the head of the bolt is 7 mm, I would think the thread size is going to be less than 5 mm. I'm guessing 3-4 mm. If you hold a bolt next to the tap, and eyeball the diameter, along with placing the threads of the bolt up against the threads of the tap and you can see if they mesh into each other.

I recommend that you use anti-sieze on all them from now on, because it really helps prevent further problems, like cross threading others that haven't yet, or bolts breaking off in the manifold.

I also just put in the madenterprises coil pack bolts (with anti-sieze, of course), and they are the schnizzitt.

Good luck with those little bastards.

Old 07-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rob, I'll be at the shop most of the rest of the day doing tunes and orders. If you want to swing by, I'll retap the hole and the bolt for you.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:45 PM
5mm x .8 thread. I've been looking allll over this earthe to make my own set of coil pack screws. I can find plenty of the right size/pitch, but the length is always too short.

Old 07-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Thanks Typhoon

Wow Sal that would be great
But it's been hours since you posted : o (

I'm going out in a few minutes, dieing to take the Lightning for a niiiiiiice ride,
I'll swing up that way just in case, otherwise I have all those wonderful stop signs to have fun with on the rida home, WOO HOO

Old 07-25-2005, 10:21 AM
5mm x 0.8 x 25mm (Length)

5mm x .8 thread. I've been looking allll over this earthe to make my own set of coil pack screws. I can find plenty of the right size/pitch, but the length is always too short.
Make a trip to Pinellas Fastner, if you do give me a call first. PM sent

Old 07-25-2005, 02:49 PM
Rob, why not just use your b-day present I got ya (Mad's coil pack bolts )

Old 07-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by SVT242
Rob, why not just use your b-day present I got ya (Mad's coil pack bolts )
Chris, I am using "one" right now, that counts doesnt it
Sorry Bro, but after 3 or 4 plug changes in 1K I simply dont even want to think about doing it AGAIN right now. Plus last time we did the plugs (at Sals Shop) I didnt have the new screws with me, : o (
BUT I PROMISE I WILL SOON

BTW, I stoped at Sals last night, but it was too late and he was too busy.
However he does have the correct tap, and an extension, so when I get a minute I'll stop back and fix the tread....

Quick Reply: What size is our coil pack threads ? 5mm ? Need Tap....