Lightning

installed ported blower, lost boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005 | 05:04 PM
|
installed ported blower, lost boost

just installed ported blower and my boost guage is showing only 10lb of boost and rapidly decreases. my mods are 4lb lower, ftvb, tuned, plugs, cai, exhaust. before installing i was hitting 13lbs on autometer boost guage. the installation was not hard we checked everything twice and still don't know what to do? At 1/2 throttle my guage is hitting 0 and at wot i hit 10lbs then rapidly decreases into vac while at full throttle. can anyone please help?

Old 07-24-2005 | 05:59 PM
is the actuator arm sitting on the stop when the truck is off? Are the right vac lines hooked up to the right spot on the boost actuator? My apten/Steig blower makes 15.5-16lbs on a 80 degree night with a 4lb lower.

Old 07-24-2005 | 06:18 PM
|
where is the aculator position at . my buddy did the install and i am not that familiar with that. do you have any pics that i can look at. thanks

Old 07-24-2005 | 08:21 PM
i have my old ported blower sitting around here somewhere ill snap you some pics of it.

Old 07-24-2005 | 08:29 PM
|
thanks

Old 07-24-2005 | 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by mick03
At 1/2 throttle my guage is hitting 0 and at wot i hit 10lbs then rapidly decreases into vac while at full throttle. can anyone please help?
You obviously have a problem somewhere, that is def not right.
Here's some info on it from Chucks Site
http://home.midsouth.rr.com/lightningpage/tips.html

Boost Actuator Adjustment

The boost actuator is located on the driver's side of the intake close to the firewall. There are (2) 10mm bolts that hold it in place. One you can see in the pic and the other is on the backside of the actuator closest to the firewall. Pay attention to the slots location in reference to the bolts so you will know where you started. Loosen bolts and raise the actuator up until you see the LEVER raise up off of the STOP. Lower it back down until the LEVER just touches the STOP then tighten bolts. Now, this is the way it was explained to me but I found that set this close the boost gauge would rise to almost "0" while cruising at 80. I went back and readjusted so I could cruise at 80 with no needle movement unless I barely moved the throttle (and I mean barely). This setting was probably halfway between the stock setting and the just touching setting. The first thing I noticed was the needle jumped immediately to 10lbs and climbed from there. Stock it jumped to 9.5lbs and climbed. The total boost also increased by a 1/2lb to 1/4lb more. I also ran a tick quicker with my fastest mph at the track. The temps were warmer and there was less traction (it rained until the track opened). I think this adjustment is worth a small amount of speed. Besides, it's free.

Old 07-24-2005 | 09:06 PM
rob beat me to it....but how about some pics of your actuator and the area around it. ALso do you have a boost bypasss or anything along those lines?

Old 07-25-2005 | 05:02 PM
|
i played the with actualor and i am seeing different levels of boost. i am getting some boost back, it feels faster and sounds louder. i put the lever about half way up at seen 13lbs of boost, put it all the way up and are seeing 11 lbs of boost. where should the lever be at? before i touched it it was just touching or barely touching. can anyone tell me where the stock setting is and should it be all the up or down. thanks

Old 07-25-2005 | 05:49 PM
the lever should be barely touching the stop. Try removing the line on top of the actuator arm and taking it for a spin. This will make the arm stay shut at all points of throttle.

Old 07-25-2005 | 06:13 PM
I was told this by Dale
I tried it on mine, AND IT WORKS AWESOME,
Been like that quite some time now, and MAN OH MAN does is run strong, and have a ton of Boost. Any slight touch of the pedal will bring me an INSTANT 10-15 lbs of boost, and I'm seeing 17-19 at WOT in 80+ Temps.
THANKS DALE

Originally Posted by Bad as L
Rob
loosen the screws on the boost bypass valve and push down on it as far as it will go and preload the spring to its max....tighten the bolts....test drive....tell me what happens
Dale

Old 07-25-2005 | 06:15 PM
There are two vacuum lines on that actuator could some one take a look at it on their truck and post where those lines are coming from?

Peace,

Suavy

Old 07-25-2005 | 07:00 PM
hmmm...

Originally Posted by Rob_02Lightning
I was told this by Dale
I tried it on mine, AND IT WORKS AWESOME,
Been like that quite some time now, and MAN OH MAN does is run strong, and have a ton of Boost. Any slight touch of the pedal will bring me an INSTANT 10-15 lbs of boost, and I'm seeing 17-19 at WOT in 80+ Temps.
THANKS DALE
Hey Rob, does this pretty much make the boost bypass inoperative, kindof like the boost-bypass vacuum "T" fitting? I'm curious how this system works anyway. Anyone have a good description of this? Hope I'm not hi-jacking the thread here, sorry. Just trying to figure out the principals on this as well as the pros and cons. Thanks, Brandon.

Old 07-26-2005 | 03:08 AM
I am also curious.....BUMP

Old 07-26-2005 | 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by bwkelley76
Hey Rob, does this pretty much make the boost bypass inoperative, kindof like the boost-bypass vacuum "T" fitting? Thanks, Brandon.

OH YA

Not sure about exactly how the system works, but I do have a reg JDM Boost By-Pass Kit on it too. After I did this and told Sal, he basically said what your saying, it cant dump Boost now

Old 07-26-2005 | 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Rob_02Lightning
OH YA

Not sure about exactly how the system works, but I do have a reg JDM Boost By-Pass Kit on it too. After I did this and told Sal, he basically said what your saying, it cant dump Boost now

i have my top line of mine and it is loud all the time the looks you get rolling through a parking lot at 5-10mph it sounds like a jet plane idling sorta.

Quick Reply: installed ported blower, lost boost