Lightning

How Can I Stop This

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Can I Stop This

O.k....since I've gotten my truck I've had this problem....I seem to blow oil out of my Breather thats installed on the passanger side oil cap. I only have one breather installed, and no seperator as Sal doesnt like the use of separators. Anyway, I'm really getting tired of cleaning the oil mist off my motor. For awhile I tried the old 5.0 trick with a wrist band around the breather and thats helped, but now thats even losing its effectiveness. Does anyone make a kit or know what I can do to make it so my damn breather stops this crap.

Old 07-27-2005, 07:26 PM
Put the oil cap back on and no more problems. Other wise Josh I have no clue. So I can't help

Old 07-27-2005, 07:30 PM
did you unplug the tube from the intake tube to the drivers side valve cover and plug up both holes?

Old 07-27-2005, 07:39 PM
dont know if this would help, as it might just be a bandaid but: Similar to the wrist band trick, could you get like a foam sleeve or something over it? That way it would still be allowed to breathe, but would maybe catch some of that oil. The picture I have in my head is of air filter wraps popular in offroad enivronments...

Old 07-27-2005, 07:40 PM
how old is the filter, might be time for a new one??

or
duct tape

Old 07-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by kwilt
did you unplug the tube from the intake tube to the drivers side valve cover and plug up both holes?

???? you mean like the dime mod ?? I have a similar version using a ball bearing.

Old 07-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Ttt

Old 07-28-2005, 04:49 PM
hey josh. i don't drive my L too much anymore and it will be down for the next month or so getting some work done to it. If you want to swap out for my oil breather and see if it still spits you are welcome to swing by and take it for a month.

Last edited by halflife; 08-02-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Hey Tom, thanks for the offer, I might have to take u up on that.

Old 07-29-2005, 11:53 AM
There is a vaccum tube that runs from the drivers side valve cover to the bottom of the rubber intake boot. You need to remove that tube and cork the holes that the tube comes out of. If you did that then I don't know what to tell ya.

We put our Metco Crank case breather ,that comes with 2 rubber plugs to put in the 2 holes, on the Chicken L and no oil in the intake and no oil spray on the motor ever since.

Hope this helps.

Andy@*>

Old 07-29-2005, 04:30 PM
how much is this Metco Crankcase breather kit ???

Old 01-14-2006, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by Andy@Chikenears
There is a vaccum tube that runs from the drivers side valve cover to the bottom of the rubber intake boot. You need to remove that tube and cork the holes that the tube comes out of. If you did that then I don't know what to tell ya.

We put our Metco Crank case breather ,that comes with 2 rubber plugs to put in the 2 holes, on the Chicken L and no oil in the intake and no oil spray on the motor ever since.

Hope this helps.

Andy@*>
What two holes did you plug?

Old 01-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Putting a breather on the passenger side pretty much makes the PCV system null and void. If you are going to do that you might as well plug off the whole system and just run breathers only on the valve covers.

The upper plenum connection is where higher vacuum is and sucks crankcase gases into the intake. The factory system pulls fresh air into the crankcase from the intake boot into the drivers side valve cover and through the motors crankcase and out the passenger side valve cover and into the plenum. If you have a breather on the passenger side valve cover there is no crankcase circulation, just through that one passenger side valve cover and that's it.

If you are worried about oil in the intake run a seperator on the passenger side. The ones everybody are selling aren't perfect but they are a lot better than having nothing at all. If you don't want a seperator and still want to eliminate the oil in the intake, plug off the PCV system and run breathers only. That won't promote air flow through the crankcase but it will at least vent the gases and excess pressure.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by birdy111
dont know if this would help, as it might just be a bandaid but: Similar to the wrist band trick, could you get like a foam sleeve or something over it? That way it would still be allowed to breathe, but would maybe catch some of that oil. The picture I have in my head is of air filter wraps popular in offroad enivronments...

That's what I do, I just cut socks in half and use the elastic in the sock to cover onto the breather. I've got three breathers, two on the passenger side and one on the driver side. Oil mostly blows out the oil cap breather and some out the driver side breather. It works good, just doesn't look fancy!

Old 01-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Maybe you should pay your good pal the money you owe him for the past year almost and you wont have such bad luck.

Quick Reply: How Can I Stop This