Lightning

99.5 Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-1999 | 01:12 AM
Thumbs up

Those are some badass dyno numbers Bill! I'm sold. I will be calling Mike in the morning. Almost 330 RWHP is DA BOMB. I was a little skeptical about the kind of numbers that were being thrown around but Bill's dyno pulls sold me. See ya and thanks...Jeff

Old 07-30-1999 | 11:32 AM
Smile

Thnx for the posting on the legalities of the warranty Mike. Run mine down to the Outer Banks yesterday on some of the two lane death traps. Was EXTREMELY impressed when it came to passing...might be my imagination but there definitely seem to been a louder more aggressive roar to it now.

------------------
Red 99.5 Lightning, SuperChip

[This message has been edited by 4D THNDR (edited 07-30-1999).]

Old 07-30-1999 | 07:08 PM
Really Old "Member"
Question

A few more observations, a few more questions.

1. Mike question

MRBBQMAN and I seem to have a chip that allows a shift from 1-2 at 6,000 RPM plus. As I stated, in my case, the needle runs off the scale. As well my boost gauge runs off the scale. BBQMAN says he is going to get his tach checked, but I got the same result on a Nascar approved Dyno where dyno guy attached the tach sender cable to one of, I guess, the spark plug or mini coil leads. When I questioned the accuracy of his computer tach, he said it was within 99.5 % or something like that.
And, as stated, we pulled the plug at 6,000/6,200 because I did not want to blow the motor.
This is not bad, Mike, this is good, but a little baffling. Can it be that Superchips decided to go ahead and let some more power loose because they determined that the motor would take it, or are there the same performance variations in chips like there are in the motors in general?
You know me pretty well guys, I don't make up stuff or deliberately exaggerate, but as I stated in my thread on dyno testing Lightnings, this thing shifts with a vengeance. I mean like nasty, brutal break your neck snap at WOT. Tach past the redline, boost gauge past the "redline" and Bob's your uncle and thanks for the great brakes.

2. Power in general, maybe Mike again.

As earlier stated, I am very happy with 305 at the wheels stock and 329 with the chip.
I have read a few articles and seen the TNN Truck show where up to 320 stock at the wheels has been shown.

Two things come to mind. The magazine and television Lightnings were provided by SVT and could rightfully be considered to be set up to absolute peak spec. As well, those tests were run in the winter and spring in much more favorable weather than today. I used to provide vehicles to similar press days with SAAB and Volvo, and we reckoned our test vehicles were 10 to 15 per cent better than production line vehicles.

Dyno guy was a little evasive, but said his dyno corrected for temp/humidity/elevation. But still, if the truck is so stifled by the heat, which these seem to be, is there not more power there on a cooler day? BTW, while the temp outside yesterday was about 94, it was about 107 inside the un-airconditioned dyno bay.

3. As I have also posted on the other thread, the 1-2 shift is so positive (brutal) I am at least mildly concerned about the capacity of the tranny to take a whole lot of this type of adrenelin rush. A side bar to this question is should I lock out the lockup when playing. I find myself fooling around a lot with the power and then letting it shift at 4-5000 and it slips into lockup or maybe shifts directly into lockup mode with a jolt. I would tend to think that that is not good.

4. Someone asked about the burning smell/possible belt slip. It may be that it only occurs, if it really does at all, when I have the AC on. I forget sometimes in this heat. Dyno guy checked it out pretty carefully and it did not occur on the dyno pulls.

5. Got to quit: A couple of observations though. Dyno guy had scrapbooks full of test results he let me look at. Lowest HP rating was a Geo at 59 hp, highest was a rail dragster at 1,300. He and his three racing shop buddies seem to know what they are doing; lots of genuine race cars in the shop.

They were impressed, let me say very impressed by our truck, the first Lightning they had tested. They could hardly believe an essentially stock truck with all emission controls intact would deliver at SAE net right in the 425 HP range and over 500 ft lb of torque. They test them all and the dyno doesn't lie

Grandkids just arrived. Got to go.

Mike, I am really happy

------------------

Bill Murray
60 going on 17 w/my:
99.5 White Lightning
Summit Racing Decal
G-Tech Performance Meter. Superchip at last!

Old 07-31-1999 | 12:11 AM
|
are the rest of you chipped guys hitting 6k on tach, or just bill and i, mine would not go past redline b4 even on nitrous.

Old 07-31-1999 | 12:26 AM
I have not tried to shift manually yet. Letting the trans shift when it wants, I'm getting ~5500 at 1-2 shift with 9-9.5 psi boost. Haven't had enough room to get the 2-3 shift yet. Tonight at the track I'll have better data. If you are doing the manual shift, at what rpm are you moving the lever. I tried manual shifting a couple of months back, moving the lever at 5K, but the shift did not occur before the fuel cutoff kicked in at exactly 5400rpm.

------------------
Joel.......
99.5 White Lightning, all the required options.
Superchip!!!!!

Old 07-31-1999 | 12:42 AM
|
Joel, no it's never been in manual mode, i guess i'll get my tach checked for accuracy.

Old 07-31-1999 | 06:58 PM
Angry

Hi guys-
Been over on the www.ford-diesel.com web site reading the 3 pages of postings on aftermarket product installations (chips in particular). It sure doesn't look good . Youi all might want to take time to read it.
you can find it under '99 power stroke section. I think we all have BIG concerns with this whole warranty coverage deal!

Read and weep.

Old 07-31-1999 | 07:36 PM
|
like i said b4, if i blow an engine or tranny, they will be towing my lightning in,without a computer, can't have that thing recording my every move, and they can pry my superchip "from my cold dead hands"

Old 08-01-1999 | 01:28 PM
Unhappy

Hey All,

I went to the local track Friday night to do some back to back comparisons with the new Flip Chip. It was 95F and 40% humidity at 9:00 pm, 1200ft altitude. The tack conditions were absolutely horrible (my first pass 60’ time was 2.928 and I got to see the paint texture of the outside wall real well). Everyone I talked to was reporting anywhere between .5 to 1.5 seconds slower than previous nights at very similar weather conditions. Without trying to bore you with all my excuses, I have no data worth reporting (but I’ll post what I have). I gave up after 4 miserable runs in 3.5 hours, and I was only maybe going to get one more in the next two hours so I left. My best MPH pass was .5mph better than my baseline in June (but I am now running at 118lbs less and WITH the Superchip. Baseline run in June was 14.33 @ 96.67 mph.)

Best MPH pass:
60’ 2.380 sec
330’ 6.328 sec
1/8 9.508 sec @ 77.74 mph
1000’ 12.225 sec
Ľ mile 14.547 sec @ 97.16 mph

Best ET pass:
60’ 2.281 sec
330’ 6.185 sec
1/8 9.377 sec @ 77.13 mph
1000’ 12.127 sec
Ľ mile 14.480 sec @ 95.98 mph

The runs were so inconsistent that I never got the chance to flip to the stock program to get a delta. Despite the track conditions, I was real puzzled by the 1.15 mph difference between runs.

Here are my latest impressions now that I have about 100 miles on the Superchip. My 1-2 shift point moves around a little, but never more that 5500rpm. The stock tachs aren’t that accurate, but I'm nowhere off the scale as some are reporting. My 1-2 and 2-3 shift both are not violent but somewhat firm. They are much better than stock, but there is still more retarding going on. On the street if I hook up off the line with part throttle application, I can NOT spin them at any point after rolling. You guys that are losing traction at will either have a much stronger truck or have been doing it so much that the tires are now willing (I think its probably the engine but forgive me I’m jealous). I thought I saw 9.5 once on the boost gage, but I have been seeing between 8.0 to 9.0 consistently (..... like I can really tell where 9 is on a gage where the lines are in 2psi increments, the needle width is half the distance between the lines, and I’m 6’2" tall and have to bend my neck just right to see the gage between the steering wheel spokes while I’m looking around for cops!) Either I got a different Superchip (which I doubt) or you guys got ringers. I’m so jealous I can’t stand it. I guess I’ll have to wait for the next chip upgrade before I can play with the big boys. I’m going to see about getting some back to back dyno runs next week and I’ll post any new data as it comes in.

------------------
Joel.......
Superchip!!!!!

Old 08-01-1999 | 02:37 PM
Joel your 60' times tell everything. You should be able to run 2.0 or 2.1 60's 1 tenth on a 60' is like 2 or 3 tenths at end of the run. Maybe now with the increase in HP with the chip your Lightning is harder to launch. How are you taking off...idle? 1200rpms? What? My chip should be here Mon. or Tues. I'm trying to get the time so I can go to the track on Weds. I have run a best of 14.06@97.23 bone stock with 300 miles on the OD.That was with a 2.03 60' time. It does seem that not all new Lightnings are created equal in the HP department.

------------------
99.5 red Lightning
All 3 options
Airbox inlet snout removed for now

[This message has been edited by JeffsLightning (edited 08-01-1999).]

Old 08-01-1999 | 03:19 PM
Gentlemen, I think we have to take our hats
to the engineers at superchips. If we could now push the supercharger boost up about 3 psi I think we would be able to take on the
Camero SS and Pontiac Trans Am. I had a Mustang GT pull up beside me, making some real loud exhaust noise, I took it he wanted to race in indeed he did. I pulled in front about 1/2 car length away until I hit 3rd Gear then I guess he gave up because I left him sitting. I was impressed that he stayed
with me until 2nd gear. At the next light this guy was one pissed of fellow, I guess he didn't ever expect a truck to wipe his ***
and suckem up my exhaust. Well I recommend the superchip to all Lighting owners.

Red 99.5 Lighting, Lund Aerowrap Bugshield Clearcoat Red, all 3 options,Superchipped,
awaiting K&N filter.

Old 08-01-1999 | 03:40 PM
Really Old "Member"
Talking

Sounds like your engine cutout is gone.
Congrats.

Bill Murray

------------------

Bill Murray
60 going on 17 w/my:
99.5 White Lightning
Summit Racing Decal
G-Tech Performance Meter. Superchip at last!

Old 08-01-1999 | 04:05 PM
|
joel
95F@1200ft on a slow track, it can only get better, my hp figures showed 20drg cooler gave me 24hp on mine, about the same as the superchip did, and i am at sea level. on my blown dodge i have seen a 100hp difference in 40drg temps and 95drg temps. but you said it was at least a .5 slow track, that would put you well into the 13's.

Old 08-01-1999 | 07:35 PM
JeffsLightning,

My first pass with the miserable 2.93 60’ time was launching at 1000 rpm. My second pass was tried again at 900-1000 ending up with a 60’ time of 2.63 (I kept it off the wall better). The last two runs I made were off of idle smoothly adding it in. The last run I probably could have added it a little faster, but at this point I was more concentrating on MPH for HP indications. How are you launching??

------------------
Joel.......
Superchip!!!!!

Old 08-01-1999 | 07:47 PM
MRBBQMAN,

Thanks for the supportive words of encouragement, I really appreciate them. I haven’t given up yet, and realize I need to wait for the weather to cool down a little. I did have one good race at the track though. Head to head against a 1998 Camaro Z28 where I thought I would surely be beat. I beat him off the line by .45 rt and the .02 on et. He left the track on the way back to the staging lanes so I guess he didn’t want to talk about it. The whole point is to have fun……….and I’m doing that!

------------------
Joel.......
Superchip!!!!!

Quick Reply: 99.5 Superchip