Lightning

99.5 Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-1999 | 01:00 AM
Joel, I'm launching at 1k rpms and not spinning the tires. Your track is either not as good as the one I run at or your making more HP which would make your lanches more difficult. Rt 66 in Joilet(Chicagoland) is very sticky. See ya Jeff

------------------
99.5 red Lightning
All 3 options
Airbox inlet snout removed for now

Old 08-02-1999 | 09:28 AM
Joel

The results with my chip are similiar to yours. Shift 1-2 occurs at 5500, 2-3 at 5700.
Off the line is more responsive, but now way can I get 60 feet of rubber, 10 maybe. before the chip, the shift points never got into redline, both shifts occurred about 5200 rpm. The shifts have firmed up, but not to the point of what Bill posted. I too am envious with the results those other guys are seeing. I have a hard tonneau, the class III hitch, and the spare tire helping with traction, but even if I pulled these off, I wouldn't be anywhere near the performance MRBBQMAN got. I'm still happy with the truck, the improvements with the Superchip, and hope the next program gives another substantial boost in performance. As a side note, my chip doesn't work in position 1. Anyone else have this problem?

Lightning Bob

Old 08-02-1999 | 09:30 AM
Joel

The results with my chip are similiar to yours. Shift 1-2 occurs at 5500, 2-3 at 5700.
Off the line is more responsive, but now way can I get 60 feet of rubber, 10 maybe. before the chip, the shift points never got into redline, both shifts occurred about 5200 rpm. The shifts have firmed up, but not to the point of what Bill posted. I too am envious with the results those other guys are seeing. I have a hard tonneau, the class III hitch, and the spare tire helping with traction, but even if I pulled these off, I wouldn't be anywhere near the performance MRBBQMAN got. I'm still happy with the truck, the improvements with the Superchip, and hope the next program gives another substantial boost in performance. As a side note, my chip doesn't work in position 1. Anyone else have this problem?

Lightning Bob

Old 08-02-1999 | 02:12 PM
Wouldn't it be great if they could make the programs switchable by the use of the over drive on/off switch since you don't use overdrive in program #2.

------------------
1999 Black Lightning SVT all options, (Factory soft tonneau cover, 6 Disc CD, Class III towing hitch), Loyd one piece floormat (Fits well, looks good), Tail light covers (Killer painted black to match), Black spray in bed liner (looks very good), Windows tinted gray 15% on doors, Dark Limo on back glass, Ordered 1st truck 1/21/99 till salesman told me a $5000 premium would be added, On the same day ordered second truck 2/24/99 (BEFORE getting my check back), Took delivery 6/21/99 After MANY many MANY promised ETA dates, Build date of 5/20/99

Old 08-02-1999 | 03:45 PM
Former Sponsor
OK, everyone read closely.

First, NOBODY's new Lightning is turning over 5600 rpm with the Superchip Flip Chip, in either position, in either program, despite what is indicated on the tach. I have personally inspected the values in the performance program, and compared them to the stock program on position 1 of the switch. It cannot be as much as 1 mpg different. I have also gone over this very carefully with both Patrick and Steve Madole, the Chief Engineer of Superchips Inc.

The rev limiter HAS NOT BEEN RAISED WHATSOEVER! It is still where the factory set it, which is at 5600 rpm. The 1-2 upshift point MPG has not changed. The rest of the upshifts are raised slightly. This is teh way it's always been, and this was all just this moment double and triple-checked.

The reason some of you are seeing numbers of anything higher than 5600 rpm is simply this: there is a bit of variance in the sample rate of the electronic tachometers, and when a lot of error (and it varies from truck to truck, some are pretty close, and others are not) is combined with the way too slow sampling rate in 1st gear with a vehicle that greabs revs as quick as the Lightning does, this is why you're getting those numbers.

I wanted to post this to everyone's attention, and NOBODY's Lightning is turning anything more than 5600 rpm, period, end of story, regardless of what your tachometers are telling you. It's important that everyone know this.

This comes straight from Superchips Engineering department, people. So please, don't worry that you're overreving your engine's and transmissions, this is NOT happening. When you use the performance program, the vehicle is gaining rpm's so rapidly that some tach's are not able to accurately represent what's happening, due both to sampling rate and internal error of the individual tach gauge. And it can read on thing in Position 1, and something else in Position 2, the performance program, when in fact there has not been a change. Again, this comes straight from the Chief Engineer.

Many of us have known for years now that electrionic tachs are not accurate, but in today's vbehicles, including the Lightning, we're seeing more of this than ever, and in particular in combination with the performance program.

Please do not worry, you are NOT turning anything more than 5600 rpm. Please remember this: Superchips is as adament about protecting that powertrain as you owners are. That is why it's a FLIP Chip application. That is why the rev limiter has not been changed. That is why the value for the 1-2 WOT upshift point has not been changed, and I mean the actual HEX number in the code, I have looked at this myself, and did so while I had Patrick from Superchips on the phone with me in real-time. He and I looked at the hex value for this paramter, and it is unchanged, period. Not any higher for rev limiter, which is 5600, and all the rest I've mentioned here.

I specifically discussed with both Patrick, and then just this moment with Steve Madole, to let them know that some of you had mentioned some concerns in this area, and that we needed an immediate answer to publish on the Internet. You now have the results of these conversations and can rest assured that you're not turning more than 5600 in reality, *REGARDLESS* of what the tach in your truck, or any other electronic tach attached to the Lightning may read.

Our bests to all,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 08-02-1999).]

Old 08-02-1999 | 04:36 PM
|
Thanks mike, my needle has such a running start, it can't stop b4 it hits the finish line. i was hopeing that was the case.

Old 08-02-1999 | 05:49 PM
Really Old "Member"
Talking

Got it, Get it.

Ok Mike, I'm not only convinced but relieved.

Still a couple of things, though, and not really chip oriented. Let's accept all chips are created equal, but maybe not all Lightning engines. Lot's of this on different threads. In your vast experience with such things, is this a reasonable explanation for different track and dyno results? The chip works with what it's got and cannot "find" lost horsepower/torque if it was not there in the first place.

Regarding the whole rpm thing, I erred slightly when I reported my dyno results.
Dyno guy and I were in the cab and reading off the truck tach when I told him to pull the plug at an indicated 6k plus reading. Looking at the printout, the before runs all ended abruptly at 5450 in high gear. My best run on the dyno ended at 5850 or so in high gear on the dyno tach with the chip in mode 2. I am assuming that the chip removes the rev limiter in top gear only. Since I was not fighting wind resistance on the dyno wheels, it is reasonable to assume that the engine can and will run out to in the vicinity of 6k even in top if you let it go. Right?

Side question, if you have time. I have earlier said I lock out lockup/od when I know I want to play. I always run in mode 2 and once in a while slip up and punch it while still in lockup/od mode. Should I not do this often?

Last issue: You have spoiled the message I wanted to send to BBQMAN. I was going to say his life's circle is complete. Buried the tach, buried the speedo, buried the boost gauge and if he were running less than 1/4 tank of fuel probably buried the gas gauge too!!!!!!!

Chipped---Chirppy---Happy

Bill

------------------

Bill Murray
60 going on 17 w/my:
99.5 White Lightning
Summit Racing Decal
G-Tech Performance Meter. Superchip at last!

Old 08-02-1999 | 08:25 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear Lightning Bob,

If your Flip Chip isn't working in Position 1, it needs to be returned immediately and either repaired or replaced. Something is not right. You truck is supposed to run with the switch in either position! Not having this defeats the whole purpose of the design of the product, so please contact me, so I can get it taken care of for you. Or you can always call Superchips directly, either way. I don't know who is who here on the message boards, too many people to keep track of, so you need to either drop me a line, or you can also contact Superchips directly at 888-227-2447, whichever you prefer. Whether it's a problem with the switch, the chip, or what, I don't know of course, but something isn't right, and we need to take care of this for you, so let's talk in email or on the phone, give me a call, whichever you prefer. In the meantime, removing the Superchip immediately restores the factory program of course, as per Fords design.

Sorry you had a problem, but it's easily taken care of.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 08-04-1999 | 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Just so everyone knows, all the back orders for the Lightning Flip Chip have shipped, and all current orders are shipping on time. There was a 3 day delay in shipping while they assembled more units, due to demand, and all those orders went out Monday.

So they're all out, and plenty ready to go!

Enjoy,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 08-04-1999 | 03:30 PM
Really Old "Member"
MRBBQMAN

Could you E-mail me at MOSTOYSINC@AOL.COM

Couple of non-thread issues I want to kick around.

Bill

Quick Reply: 99.5 Superchip