Lightning

99.5 Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-1999 | 11:14 PM
|
Thumbs up 99.5 Superchip

ordered it friday, installed tonight, it's a quick learner, took about 1 block before i hit the highway, pulled on highway and stopped, floored it with no braking and left a 60ft patch of very expensive tires, could only get 3-5ft before chip, ran like a scalded cat thru the shifts,which are much inproved, not like a transgo, but much firmer, you do not feel any falling off on the shifts like b4, big grin factor, almost feel like a nitrous shot, you get concerned about detonation the way it runs to redline so quick, but did not hear anything. completely different truck, the way it should have come from the factory.they did one hell of a job with this chip. don't know about hp, 1/4mi, 60ft, etc., but i have had chips and computer changes in the past that you need to dyno to check for improved hp/trq,this one, you don't have to wonder if you got your money's worth, seat of the pants is huge, even if they only corrected fords "pansy" program with no xtra hp, it is worth it. no more lag on take off, feels like a big block going thru the gears, if i have to go to the dealer for service, this thing is going to be removed, it feels like it could be a warrenty breaker. i give it 4 stars

Old 07-27-1999 | 11:41 PM
Talking

MMBBQMAN,

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!

I also ordered on Friday, and I was hoping I would get it today (Tuesday) but it did not show yet. Should be here tomorrow? I’ve actually had a hard time getting to sleep at night thinking about just those improvements you describe (it was kind of like the night I took delivery on the Lightning, I had to work the next day and couldn’t sleep thinking how much fun the ride into work was going to be.) I just keep reminding myself that patience is a virtue and the rewards will be plentiful . I have decided that I will be visiting the track this Friday night after all despite the high temps and humidity (95F to 100F @ 60%) at 8:00 pm as long as a storm does not rain it out. Good Luck and HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!

------------------
Joel.......
99.5 White Lightning, all the required options.
Superchip is in the mail!!

Old 07-27-1999 | 11:48 PM
MRBBQMAN: One more convincing post like yours and I'll be eating cheese sandwiches and drinking Kool-Aid for a month. I hope I'm respected for having my priorities in the right order!!

Old 07-27-1999 | 11:56 PM
Lightbulb

MRBBQMAN
Can you do the following for us Superchip-challenged folks, run the truck with the chip and then directly afterward without, each time checking the hp on your g-tech. And then please post it for us to drool over...

------------------
99 Black Lightning

Old 07-28-1999 | 03:02 AM
Great news, you couldn't have timed it any better. I ordered my chip after an extensive discussion with Mike Troyer and had it shipped 2nd day air. With a little luck, it will be here Friday and I can go to the track this weekend and play. Chipped and sans chip. Don't expect any outrageous times though, temps are running around 97 and humidity is in the high 80's to low 90's in Houston right now. The only real good thing I have going for me is that we're only 40 ft above sea level at the track. May have to buy some new tires after this. Any know where I can get some appropriatly sized Michelins?

Have a good and don't let the man get you!

Chuck Shelton

Old 07-28-1999 | 04:15 AM
Thats great Im glad it worked.

------------------
95Lightning(9psi boost)
NLOC MEMBER
Marcus Harrison

Old 07-28-1999 | 10:31 AM
|
It comes with a toggle switch, program 1(stock?)/programII (superchipped), i hope, to test, it will be a simple flip of the switch, otherwise it's going to be a "pia" to remove and re-install it.

Trending Topics

Old 07-28-1999 | 11:51 AM
Talking

Doorbell rang as I was signing on...UPS...SUPERCHIP(some assembly required). I'll get back.

------------------
Red 99.5 Lightning, SuperChip

Old 07-28-1999 | 01:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear MRBBQMAN,

Wow, coming from you especially, that's quite a compliment. I say that because of your well-known exploits with other very high-performance vehicles you've told us about.

I was certain in my heart this would be the result, but of course nobody *else* knows it until they actually install and use it, which is perfectly natural. Like someone said before, a little scepticism is a good thing.

There is actually *much* more room for improvement, but Superchips doesn't want to overstress the vehicle beyond any design limitations. For example, the WOT 1-2 upshift rpm is not changed, there is still another spark retard off the line that hasn't been altered, as we want to protect the transmission, and other areas that have not been changed etc. There are, unfortunately for those of us forking over $30-$40K for these factory hot-rods, far too many aspects of the factory program that really hurt *driveability*, primarily in the name of protecting the engine from bad gas, and that has always been Superchips #1 priority, improving driveability. It's easy to make more power at WOT, it's something completely different to deliver improved driveability regardlesss of throttle position, which is perhaps one reason why the automakers themselves come to Superchips for help from time to time. The factory program is designed to protect the engine in case the vehicle has to run on bad gas, etc., and Superchips felt that this needed to be retained, so that's why it was made a Flip-Chip application, instead of the regular single-program Superchip.

Thanks very much for your extremely quick feedback, MRBBQMAN!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 07-28-1999 | 03:31 PM
Cool

MRBBQMAN
Thank you my friend, this is exactly what I was waiting for. This means you have a very definite 8% improvement. The absolute value of the hp number is not important, but the fact is, that in back-to-back runs it is greater with the Superchip.

And you will get a free upgrade to an even more agressive program when it becomes available ? Wow.

------------------
99 Black Lightning

Old 07-28-1999 | 05:31 PM
Talking

Noticeable shift/acceleration improvement.

------------------
Red 99.5 Lightning, SuperChip

Old 07-28-1999 | 06:36 PM
whats the price on the superchip and how hard is it to install ?

Old 07-28-1999 | 06:41 PM
Boss302,

Installing doesn't look too bad, maybe 30 minutes. If you call Mike Troyer, he will describe it for you. Minimal talents (like mine) are sufficient.

Chuck Shelton

[This message has been edited by Wyldman (edited 07-28-1999).]

Old 07-28-1999 | 06:42 PM
Mrbbqman-
Sounds like the chip is a winner! You mentioned that the chip will come out for trips to the dealer in you first post. I don't know if it is a "wive's tale" but I was told by the SVT expert at the Ford dealer in my town that the Ford computer retains this type of modification in its memory. It also will indicate if the engine has been over-revved and even if the vehicle has been fueled with the engine running. Does anyone know how true this is? How 'bout it Mike?

Old 07-28-1999 | 07:25 PM
Really Old "Member"
Question

Got my chip today, looks great, sits on my desk until installation.

But.......where the bloody heck is my computer module. There are no instructions beyond the need for a 10mm socket and take the key out of the ignition.
I have read a number of posts regarding disconnecting the battery, removing the battery and so on to do the installation.

By the way, I have not bothered Mike on this, but thought you who have installed one might want to give me some tips.

I don't even know where my computer is located in the truck, nor do I know how to disconnect/reconnect it. It is probably dead simple, based on a 30 minute installation time some have indicated, but I don't even know where to start.

Comments?

------------------

Bill Murray
60 going on 17 w/my:
99.5 White Lightning
Summit Racing Decal
G-Tech Performance Meter. Superchip by 07/31

Quick Reply: 99.5 Superchip