Lightning

Pulley tool?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005 | 11:10 PM
|
Pulley tool?

so as a few of you know ive spent a total 8 hours trying to install my JLP pulley. even though it doesnt say anything about it in the instructions it looks as though i need a tool to pull that plate off the front. i had a 1/2 inch wrench on the pulley i placed a 2X4 under the handle and let the truck down. the wrench broke. one of my buddies is a huge bronco guy he said i need a peg wrench ( like the deal you change a grinder wheel with) to get that plate off the front, and i dont doubt it, but i havent seen anything about this in any instructions.

Old 07-30-2005 | 12:07 AM
Your stock lower pulley? If so I used a 14mm allen socket and a long cheater pipe on a breaker bar, I had to give it a few blows witha small 3lb sledge. I swore it wouldnt come off then all at once it just popped loose.Iwhen I did mine it had 25k miles on it unless it was pulled when ford put a new head on it if so it only had 1k miles?

Old 07-30-2005 | 12:42 AM
|
ive been tryin with the 14mm center tool. as i said it broke the wrench

Old 07-30-2005 | 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by Big Shooter
so as a few of you know ive spent a total 8 hours trying to install my JLP pulley. even though it doesnt say anything about it in the instructions it looks as though i need a tool to pull that plate off the front....

What plate are we talking about Big ?
What year you got ?
There are unfortunately nightmare stories out there on removing the original lower pulley. Mine was a bitch and it only had a few hundred miles on it,

Here's step by step instruction if it helps
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/asp54blowerinstruction.htm

As BDAZSVT said the move it to get a nice bite on it and try and shock it off, if it doesnt come off then you can put a big *** bar on it and wrestle it off.
Even know mine was brand new, it did give me quite a fight and I too thought it was never coming off, but then crack it loosened.

Old 07-30-2005 | 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by Big Shooter
ive been tryin with the 14mm center tool. as i said it broke the wrench
i had the same problem i broke 2 1/2 wrenches and a 1 1/2 breaker/cheater bar and broke piece of the tranny case were the tool goes .so i went out and bought a 3/4 breaker bar and with some serious pushing of me and pulling from a buddy it finaly broke free. make sure when you put the tool on the convertor and tranny case you tighten it mine was a little loose thats why i think i broke it good luck

Old 07-30-2005 | 03:53 PM
|
Mines an 00'. ive never seen or heard anything about this. but there is certainly a galvanized plate on the front with two 5/16 holes that are 3 1/2' on center i think. now i dont have a bunch of expierence or anything, but ive cracked a few nuts in my day (that sounded nice) and ive never come across anything even close to this. "It will be stubborn, but a few good sharp pulls of the breaker bar should break it loose." i dont think so Tim. although no one has anything about this in the install instructions. and ive seen a pic of a pulled pulley with the plate still on. i just wanna make sure the 14mm threads into the end of the crank, and that its not actually a part of it. you said you cracked the bell housing? did you attach the tool to the driver or passenger side of the bell housing? ive been putting it on the drivers side so its pulling it should be strongest that way. in all my attempts at this im pretty sure that 4 or 5 of the 6 bolts on my torque converter are no longer torqued to spec how bad is this?

Old 07-30-2005 | 05:24 PM
Ok you did take the 3 or so nuts off of the cage first didnt you? If not take those off then try and bust the stock pulley off. Use quick blows or yanks not long steady pulls. The quick blows of a hammer or yanks with your arms will should get it loose. Also i think the threads are reverse. Cant remeber.

Old 08-06-2005 | 07:02 PM
|
yeah i took the three nuts off the bottom and the one bolt out up top on the cage. i managed to bend a box end wrench trying it. now my center 14mm has slop in it. im outta ideas and i dont wanna strip it. im wondering where i can take it to have it done.

Quick Reply: Pulley tool?