Lightning

Off the line and Down the Road: Only Lightning Victorys

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-1999, 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Bill,

Sorry, but those mid-late-80's turbocharged Buicks *were* equipped with a computer for engine management, and we make chips for them! They used a very sophisticated (for the time,'86 & '87) speed-density fuel injected engine management system, which included computer control of maximum boost levels, in addition to all the normal items controlled by the ECU. The *true* GNX produced about 360hp, and would run deep into the 13's. 12's were possible with a little tuning. True GNX's are very rare, though there are thousands of GN's. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Also, the Buicks were *turbocharged*, the new Lightning is *supercharged*, and that is a HUGE difference. Turbocharging is generally more efficient, whereas it takes upwards of 80hp, maybe more @ 5000 rpm to turn that big Eaton supercharger on the Lightning. As far as how much boost can be used, that's a good question. On my Thunderbird Super Coupe, which uses the 3.8 V-6 with the Eaton supercharger, I was running 17 psi,and had no trouble keeping head gaskets, despite the rather poor head gasket design of that engine, something PatDon has pointed out elsewhere. The blower on your Lightning is producing more boost than the engine management system is allowing the engine to see, by somewhere between 3-5 lbs., a substantial amount. I'd probably be willing to experiment with up to 13 psi for openers, but first you need to do the calculations on what power level the injectors can support, etc. Then take the boost up from there, with 15 psi probably being an optimistic "guesstimate" of the potential maximum boost pressure, but that is only a poor guess. I could be full of hot air on that! You never really know until you do the R&D. Also, with any forced-induction engine, you want to make sure you're getting all the power you can from each pound of positive boost; larger intercooler with fan, a raised inlet top for the Eaton supercharger, etc., all the usual boost optimization tuning tricks.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 07-02-1999).]

Old 07-02-1999, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike
This might be a backwards way of approaching the problem. I agree, get the computer to allow all the boost to go to the engine, not to dump some.

But, wouldn't you also gain some hp by fitting a bigger pulley to the s/c ? That way it takes less power to turn, and the EMU wouldn't need to throw so much of that work into the exhaust. I am asking, because I have already modelled the pulley on CAD, and it would take me 3-4 hrs to cut one out of 7071-T6 aluminum.

My original thought was to make a smaller pulley, so my model is scale-able, but after feeling and reading your explanation of the boost diversion it is on hold.

------------------
99 Black Lightning

Old 07-02-1999, 06:50 PM
The 99.5 has 41lb ? fuel injectors with a big fuel pump, it will be a while b4 you can feed it more air than fuel and lean it out. by contrast, guys are running 10-12 psi blowers on 93-95 351W lightnings on the stock 19lb injectors w/ a bigger supplied fuel pump, and could waste a 99.5 easily.

Old 07-02-1999, 07:45 PM
Triton,

With both vehicles being equal the stock '99 4.6 is no match for the '99 Chevy 5.3 and I suspect even a "chipped" 4.6 would not fare to well either.

I am still looking for a new Chevy 5.3 for my own satisfaction, one that I KNOW is a 5.3, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Now if I can find a bloated heavy '99 Z-71 with a 5.3 ........ well, maybe.....

I have full respect for our '99 Ford 5.4s and must take your word regarding a '99 Chevy 5.3.

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK. Man, I got it all!

Old 07-02-1999, 08:31 PM
Really Old "Member"
Hi Mike:

I will try to cover several posts here to save time:

GNX: Thanks for the info, I was about 95% (ok, maybe 85% correct) on what I remembered about the car.

Computer controlled engines:
Mike, please, remember I said I am 60 and was used to doing all the things computers do today by seat of the pants experimenting. I have over 50K of pretty sophisticated computers operating inmy business and my home and accept the benefits.

Chalk it up to pure nostalgia. When I get a fluff in my '56 Ford with the 292 V-8, usually a change of plugs or plug wires or something like that will fix it. With my Lightning, my previous SHO Taurus or Pat's Continental, I have to go the dealer for a computer analysis. That's not bad, it's just different.

Keep on trucking Skywalker!!

PS: totally by chance, yesterday, I was visited by a former classmate of mine whom I had not seen since 1953 at a Marine Corps Base High School.

He is the local chapter of the Buick Collecters Association and is a GNX fan and very knowledgeable about those cars and says he can get me a pretty good one
for only a small fortune. How about it, a Lightning and a GNX.

Supper Time:

------------------

Bill Murray
60 going on 17 w/my:
99.5 White Lightning
Bone Stock for now.
Stay tuned.

Old 07-06-1999, 05:51 PM
If some of you do not remember my first post, it was after I had placed a deposit on my truck and was driving home, that I got licked by a Chev cube van, with I believe, the 6.0 V8. (I was driving my Eagle Talon.)

He he he, Ha ha ha revenge !!
He was driving in front of me in the left lane, and I was following closely, having recognised the company logo on the rear. He obviously thought the same strategy could work as last time; when past the traffic, he pulled right and waited for me to get even and then accelerate so that I could not get past.

This was a perfectly good strategy for me too . I just stayed with him until he ran out of breath and had to merge back behind me. This thing has such a sweet engine/whine sound under acceleration.

[This message has been edited by BlackLight (edited 07-06-1999).]

Old 07-07-1999, 07:20 PM
Question

Blacklight, since you have been looking into the pully situation, is the bolt going through the blower pully the only thing holding it on, or is it also pressed on?

Old 07-13-1999, 11:52 AM
Talking

I had an opportunity today that I just couldn’t pass up. I pulled up to the light next to a Chevy 4X4 S/B truck with a one of those lovely Calvin’s ****’n on Ford decals on his back window. I ignored him but saw him out of the corner of my eye looking at my Lightning. I was very surprised when the light turned green and he gunned it. I let him get a full car length ahead and then wasted him like he was standing still. This IS what it’s about!!!

------------------
Joel.......
99.5 White Lightning, all the required options.
Can't wait for that Superchip!!

Old 07-13-1999, 04:22 PM
Thumbs up

Joe,

You are my kinda guy ....... no wasted motion, just go for the throat!!

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK. Man, I got it all!

Old 07-13-1999, 05:55 PM
Red face

Probably not the right place for this but...
I caught a 3" diameter rock on the front window this morning. A big star and some cracks. It came to $714.82 Canadian. (Before insurance)

I have not had the pulley off yet, so I do not know the final details of the shaft mount. I would guess a press-fit or splines or even a tapered hole.

------------------
99 Black Lightning

Old 07-13-1999, 08:42 PM
Blacklight, sorry to hear about your windshield, a nloc member's kid was t-boned at an intersection in his, and is probably totaled because of parts availability. (kid's ok, at least from the wreck , imagine losing your 99.5 after 2weeks and you can't walk down to the dealer and buy another.

Old 07-14-1999, 07:53 AM
I've enjoyed reading your thread and race stories. I wish you guys who let the opponent get a head start would just crush them from the start. The other guy is probably thinking "I beat them good off the line, and then they passed me". Let them know that you have total supremecy!

I'm looking forward to lining up against one of these trucks in my '88 ragtop Mustang. I hope I don't ruin the guy's day when I stomp him :-) My car ran in the high 13's, before I added the Vortech.

No flames intended. I'd REALLY like to trade my '97 F-150 4x4 extended cab for one, but I can't afford to support two performance vehicles, one is enough drain.

Later,
LT

Old 07-14-1999, 01:25 PM
Thumbs up

Not to worry, the new windshield is as good looking as the old one. I can not tell the difference.

As far as crushing someone off the line goes, it is not much fun. He usually shuts it down immediately because he realises there is no way he can catch up.

------------------
99 Black Lightning

Old 07-22-1999, 07:51 AM
Hey Mr.BBQ ...........

My truck resembles that remark. It was a near head on. I'll let everyone know what transpires with the insurance. Just registered. I had about 5 grand on the odometer when it was whacked. I own a 93 Lightning as well. Love them both..but this new one...WOW..WOT....grin.

95 SHO,5 speed.
88 Merkur Xr4ti SVO plus,superchip,lowered,T-5 centerforce,roller rockers,big valve head...etc.
88 Merkur xr4ti sand gold,w\borla duals
93 Lightning ,stock
99.5 Lightning..Wrecked..hence Twisted99

Old 07-22-1999, 09:47 AM
Really Old "Member"
Unhappy

Dear Twisted:

Sorry to hear about your wreck:

On the other hand, congrats on your stable of vehicles. I traded a 96 SHO on my Lightning; no regrets. Love the noise.

I also have a '69 Chev Bel Air 427/390hp, two '56 F-100s one V-8 one 300 six and a stock 69 Chev panel truck. Love 'em all.

Hope your vehicle gets back together.

Bill

------------------

Bill Murray
60 going on 17 w/my:
99.5 White Lightning
Bone Stock for now.
Stay tuned.

Quick Reply: Off the line and Down the Road: Only Lightning Victorys