Lightning

How long did you wait for delivery after ordering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-1999 | 11:03 PM
|
Question How long did you wait for delivery after ordering?

Thought I'd take this opportunity to introduce myself to the list and ask those who've ordered Lightnings how long you waited for delivery (can't find a 99 anywhere).

I ended up ordering a 2000 model and after reading all of your posts, I can tell it's going to be very hard to wait.

--Scooter

Old 08-01-1999 | 02:20 AM
I ordered in Jan. and took delivery in June. Love the truck almost as much as my Mystic Cobra. I can't wait to get the superchip and see or feel what all the fuss is about . Jeff

------------------
99.5 red Lightning
All 3 options
Airbox inlet snout removed for now

Old 08-01-1999 | 09:56 AM
I had to wait one entire week, and it almost killed me.

About two months ago, I saw one on the street and decided I wanted - no, needed! - one. Then I found out thet none were to be had this year, and gave up.

Then, a week later I went to the Ford dealer to check out a Cobra and ran into a gent who was picking up a black Lightning. He mentioned that a dealer about 3 hours away from me had two of them coming in pretty soon.

I called, and by golly they had two of them coming in the following week, with no takers, yet. I gave them my MasterCard number to hold the red one, and one week later I owned the beast.

I still can't believe my luck.

Regards,
Gordon

Red one. No mods (yet).

Old 08-01-1999 | 02:24 PM
Wink

we are new to the pages so excuse us if we don't do things normally...the story of getting the bolt was an interesting one if not one of lots of aggrevation..owned a 93 red lightning (bought used with 6g on the odometer), went to one dealership with whom i had bought the first lightning and several other ford products..because i was in the midst of a divorce and he knew both my ex and
myself pretty well, he did not want to bother with me because of possibly hurting her feelings...yea right, as the song goes she gets the house i get the car...that sort of thing..anyway went to another dealership and they had a red one coming in and was up for sale cause the guy who wanted it backed out.
ETA was week of july 5.. visited dealer to see if truck was on way and the manager said that the truck would not get here until the week of august 15...that night got online and contacted a dealership in the next state and they showed there inventory of on-hand vehicles...TWO lightnings were on hand and a black one was up for grabs...went there the next day and went through the procedure and was told the truck would be ready the next day.living in a state where front plates are not necessary, i told the salesman not to put a plate holder there...well you can guess what happened...after all this the business person who was supposed to get me plates for my state gave me a 20 day temp tag and said that the plate would be in around 15 days later...here it is almost a month later and the plate is not here and i am really getting
po'ed at this woman...does anyone know what it is like not being able to go rip snorting around and kicking major butt...let it be known that the dealership was wonderful, but one person is going to get named on the survey for not doing their job properly....
otherwise both my girlfriend and i are quite happy and love the truck....ain't nothing else like it

------------------
99.5 black lightning
no mods yet
lots of stares and looks

Old 08-01-1999 | 03:13 PM
Scooter....

There are Two white Lightnings siting at Coastal Ford in Mobil Alabama. Sticker is 30,400.OO with tow package and CD changer.
No tonneau or Bed liner.

Treadwell Ford In Mobile also informed Me they would be getting Three Black Lightnings during the month of August. They will call me when the First one Comes in. I`ll post it's arrival here just in case anyone is searching.

The black one that is replacing My red wrecked 99 is sitting at My local Ford dealer.I'm offshore,so thursday I should get in and Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Later, Jeff C

Old 08-01-1999 | 04:22 PM
|
Twisted99,

Thanks for the info on the two white lightnings in Mobile but I'm going to wait for mine to come in. I'm very happy with the dealer that I'm dealing with (families been buying there for 20+ years) and they have really treated me right.

Two white ones sitting on the lot and three more black ones coming in this month down in Mobile? You lucky dogs...around here (Omaha, Ne) all the dealers I've talked to say they won't be getting any 99's. Some of the dealerships won't even take orders for the 2000's until October.

--Scooter

Old 08-02-1999 | 03:08 AM
Scooter,

The builds for the 2K's are rumored to start in Dec., so I figure you'll be waiting for a while.

I know of one black sitting on the lot in Tulsa (only SVT dealer in T-town) and have heard of a red and a black in Oklahoma City, no idea what dealer, but a little detective work might bear some fruit.

I also know of a black sitting on the showroom floor at Helfman Ford in Stafford, Tx. (just SW of Houston), but they had a huge "market adjustment" attached to it.

Good luck looking, hope this helps a little,

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
Black 99.5 Lightning Superchip is here! Waiting for Level 10 tranny kit!

Old 08-02-1999 | 08:10 AM
I waited 3 months: Ordered March 29; picked it up July 3.

As far as I know, all the SVT dealers here in the Orlando area have been sold out for a while now. Some got pretty hefty premiums over MSRP.

My guess is that the first Y2K models won't reach dealer showrooms before the end of January, at the earliest.

Mike

Old 08-02-1999 | 01:42 PM
PFA
I was finally able to put a down payment on mine on August 5, '98, just to hold my place in line. I happened to be on vacation and had my truck in for service and decided to call and talked with my salesman. They just started taking deposits that day. I picked my Lightning up just before May 24, '99.

------------------
PFA
'99 WHITE LIGHTNING

Old 08-03-1999 | 12:05 AM
I am still waiting for my black lightning to come in. Two weeks ago Friday, my friend who is a salesman at the local dealership called me and told me that they were getting in 2 loaded (tonneau cover, 6-disc changer, class III towing group) black lightnings around August 23rd, and said he worked it out so I could get a-plan on it and rattled off a figure that was too good to pass up. So I got to the dealership early Monday morning (had alot of trouble sleeping that weekend) and he handed me the keys to the white demo that they have. After looking over the truck and checking out the engine bay, I had already made my decision, but I still had to drive it. Feeling like a teenager about to loose his virginity, I inserted the key and cranked the motor. What a beautiful sound. As I pulled out of the lot, the motor kept saying "hit the throttle boy", but I had to wait until I was out of the sight of the salesmen. Once I came to the next light, it was just me and the open road. Light turns green and I nail it, as the boost is building up all I hear is alot of squeals coming from the rear tires, and Im doing 60 in no time. I back out of it and say "damn", now it wont put my Cobra to shame, but it definately would kick the **** out of my 92 F150. That was the first time I had ever been in a truck that moved like that. So I got on it a few more times before returning to the dealership, and once I arrived, my buddy asks "how did you like it?" I didnt say anything, I just handed him my wallet.

------------------
Jim
96 Black Cobra,
K&N,OffRoad H-Pipe
NitrousExpress 150 shot
1999.5 Black Lightning
Arrival Aug.23

[This message has been edited by NXCobra (edited 08-03-1999).]

Old 08-03-1999 | 12:06 AM
Thanks to Joe-Lightning for taking the asbestos underwear out first. I was very lucky in that I looked for 3 days to find one on the lot. Found it, went there, bought it, drove it home, and have had a HUGE smile on my face ever since! Go ahead and burn me, got my fireproof longjohns back from the cleaners today.

(Laid down two of the most beautiful 100Ft long black marks this afternoon. ME WANT MORE! HOOOAAAHHH!)

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
Black 99.5 Lightning Superchip is here! Waiting for Level 10 tranny kit and G-Tech/Pro!

Old 08-03-1999 | 12:10 AM
TO LONG IF YOU ASK ME!!!!! Read below and get details.

------------------
1999 Black Lightning SVT all options, (Factory soft tonneau cover, 6 Disc CD, Class III towing hitch), Loyd one piece floormat (Fits well, looks good), Tail light covers (Killer painted black to match), Black spray in bed liner (looks very good), Windows tinted gray 15% on doors, Dark Limo on back glass, Ordered 1st truck 1/21/99 till salesman told me a $5000 premium would be added, On the same day ordered second truck 2/24/99 (BEFORE getting my check back), Took delivery 6/21/99 After MANY many MANY promised ETA dates, Build date of 5/20/99

Old 08-03-1999 | 12:59 AM
You all might kill me but I waited 7 days from first dealer contact to delivery. I decided that in April I NEEDED one and every dealer except one in town had 2 sales already for each one they were alloted, and the dealer that had two left were not sold yet. They were expected to arrive in a month, but in less than 7 days they arrived. Paid 1K premium, but it was still 6K less than the Epedition my wife wanted me to get so thats how I justify it.

------------------
Joel.......
99.5 White Lightning, all the required options.
Superchip!!!!!

Old 08-03-1999 | 10:13 AM
Thats with the chip installed and in program #2 right. Mine wont do but 15 feet at the most maybe 20 before it hooks up and goes. BONE STOCK!!!!

------------------
1999 Black Lightning SVT all options, (Factory soft tonneau cover, 6 Disc CD, Class III towing hitch), Loyd one piece floormat (Fits well, looks good), Tail light covers (Killer painted black to match), Black spray in bed liner (looks very good), Windows tinted gray 15% on doors, Dark Limo on back glass, Ordered 1st truck 1/21/99 till salesman told me a $5000 premium would be added, On the same day ordered second truck 2/24/99 (BEFORE getting my check back), Took delivery 6/21/99 After MANY many MANY promised ETA dates, Build date of 5/20/99

Old 08-03-1999 | 10:15 AM
Jim,

Congratulatlions on your forthcomming Lightning!

Wow, you are doubly lucky. You must work for Ford. "A" plan pricing is one of FMC's best employee benefits. In addition, you found a dealership that actually had a Lightning demo! Wow, that's unheard of - at least around here (central FL). All the SVT dealers pre-sold their allotment of '99 Lightning's, with the exception of those that wanted $5K over MSRP and even they sold within 2 or 3 days.

Welcome to the group.

Mike Philpott
'99.5 Black

Quick Reply: How long did you wait for delivery after ordering?