Lightning

Lost boost issue. We might be onto something!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost boost issue. We might be onto something!

We've been working on Smoak's truck for like amonth now. He was only getting 2-4 pouds of boost max. We replaced one rotted hose so the vaccum issue was fixed. On w him today, I replaced his actuator with mine to see if maybe that was the culprit. Still no go. OK, now we're pissed. I suggested doing a boost bypass since if you UNPLUGGED the high and low ports on the actuator you get full boost. Did the bypass kit and she's running full blown now. WHAT...THE...?? I'm sure we can leave the Boost bypass in place but enquiring minds want to know what the culprit could be if it's not the actuator. I assume it's the "Map sensor" looking box that the pink vaccum hose connects to? In any case, what do you think the issue is? I'm sure half will say OMG NO BOOST BYPASS!! YOU'RE CRAZY!!, and then 20 of you will tell us that you've been running the bypass for 3 years with no prob. All opinions welcomed! Thanks gang!

Old 08-07-2005, 01:57 PM
I believe one of Suavy's prototype blowers from MP didn't have a boost bypass.

He hit 26# of boost before.

Old 08-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by typhoon43
We've been working on Smoak's truck for like amonth now. He was only getting 2-4 pouds of boost max. We replaced one rotted hose so the vaccum issue was fixed. On w him today, I replaced his actuator with mine to see if maybe that was the culprit. Still no go. OK, now we're pissed. I suggested doing a boost bypass since if you UNPLUGGED the high and low ports on the actuator you get full boost. Did the bypass kit and she's running full blown now. WHAT...THE...?? I'm sure we can leave the Boost bypass in place but enquiring minds want to know what the culprit could be if it's not the actuator. I assume it's the "Map sensor" looking box that the pink vaccum hose connects to? In any case, what do you think the issue is? I'm sure half will say OMG NO BOOST BYPASS!! YOU'RE CRAZY!!, and then 20 of you will tell us that you've been running the bypass for 3 years with no prob. All opinions welcomed! Thanks gang!
Based on your post, he doesn't have the vaccum lines hooked up properly. The pink line goes to the bypass, not a sensor. Can you take some pics of the general area?

I'd bet anything the lines are routed wrong and his bypass was staying open under boost, and you only saw 2-4 psi from the the blower "trying" to build boost with an open bypass.

Old 08-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Sal we matched the connections to my L. Pink goes to the front "top" of the actuator and the black is on the back (and a b*tch to get off). Now, could it be that his electronic solenoid (where the pink leads to from the actuator) is bad? I suppose we could test that. What I do kjnow is that either using the boost pypass kit OR unplugging ***** lines from the actuator (the thing with the arm) he gets FULL boost.

/twilight zone theme

Old 08-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by typhoon43
Sal we matched the connections to my L. Pink goes to the front "top" of the actuator and the black is on the back (and a b*tch to get off). Now, could it be that his electronic solenoid (where the pink leads to from the actuator) is bad? I suppose we could test that. What I do kjnow is that either using the boost pypass kit OR unplugging ***** lines from the actuator (the thing with the arm) he gets FULL boost.

/twilight zone theme
Oh ok. In your previous post you said the pink line was going to some sensor.

The dump solenoid is inactive until the PCM sees a fault and commands it open. So the truck should act the same with it hooked up. If it's damaged in some way, then it may stuck in the open position for some reason.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:21 PM
OK, well that confirms our theory then. I know a bunch of guys run the bypass with no isses. His F-150 was tuned by Torrie for the 6 pound lower so as long as he's not climbing above that I would think he's fine. We'll price out the solenoid to see how much it is, but for now he's a happy camper (he's been driving at 2-4 pounds for like 2 months, now he's "got it back"

Thanks for the input!!

Josh

Quick Reply: Lost boost issue. We might be onto something!