Lightning

BBC's Top Gear: SVT Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005 | 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Master Of Pain
Clarkson's a huge (unty A$$HOLE *****. He purchased a Ford GT and returned it - over a faulty alarm.

Old 08-10-2005 | 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
Sorry. I meant to say GAY.

Lighten up, there, euroboy. If the Europeans can think that Americans are unsophisticated savages, we can think the converse.
Never Ever call me European. That would lump me in with the French and I'm not having it

Just to inject a bit of sense into this, full size trucks are not officially imported into Europe by any of the big 3.
The largest available is the Ranger.
I imported my old F150 myself to England.

If you want anything larger than a Ranger, you end up with one of these which are pretty much strictly commercial vehicles with a diesel engine.
Most Europeans can't afford to run something that gets 10 -15mpg when gas is about $7 per gallon back home.

Old 08-10-2005 | 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by EnglishAdam
Never Ever call me European. That would lump me in with the French and I'm not having it

LMFAO!!!!!

Old 08-10-2005 | 01:07 PM

I'd have to agree there

On the subject of Transits, you have to love this one

With a 650bhp F1 engine it wasnt slow but also sadly not road legal

Old 08-10-2005 | 01:39 PM
atleast he said it would out run a boxter

Old 08-10-2005 | 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
Sorry. I meant to say GAY.

Lighten up, there, euroboy. If the Europeans can think that Americans are unsophisticated savages, we can think the converse.
... where we mainly just incest the days away......

Old 08-10-2005 | 04:11 PM
Link to the clip from the show here

Old 08-10-2005 | 04:38 PM
Link to the clip from the show here
No audio with this clip?

Old 08-10-2005 | 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Master Of Pain
No audio with this clip?
Yes there is. It worked on mine.

You have got the speakers on, right?

Old 08-10-2005 | 05:52 PM
If it wasn't for AMERICAN enginering that ***** would be driving a German car. Going to the store to buy everything, like scented wood makes him more sophisticated or is it that he buys lates from a expensive caffe? I guess sophisticated means your to $!!$ing lazy to go chop some wood. If it wasn't for that "getter done" attitude that ***** would be speaking German right now! I like how they make a big deal with that guy stealing his stuff out the back of the truck. I guess he is to sophisticated to get out and chase the guy or just to fat and lazy. It's called a tonnaue cover a$$hole! His opinion about the truck is fine with me, it's his opinion. But his opinion about AMERICANS is what pisses me off. The jerkoff also tries to make it seem like the Lightning is the only model for F150 and it doesn't have 4x4. Ford sure as hell doesn't sell millions of Lightnings.

He also says "that we get them to buy in on are wars, but we can't get them to buy our trucks". I guess we bought into their war when London was burning to the ground.

Last edited by hothead04; 08-10-2005 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-10-2005 | 08:51 PM
Aha, I see why you are called Hothead

Look mate, the program Top Gear combines some motoring journalism with comedy/satire.
They poke fun at eveything and obviously know what the Ford range is but choose to portray it in the light that they did.
If they had a new 2005 F150 Lariat 4x4 and did the same test with the byline that the old L does a low 13, it wouldn't have been so much fun, would it?
Can't you see that they deliberately took though the smallest village they could find?
They also know that the vehicle was a RHD conversion and therefore the comments on the interior were unjustified.
As to the comments about Americans, get over it. They do the same stereotype jokes about French cars smelling of Garlic and Italian cars having 5 reverse gears.
You are blowing it out of all proportion.
Serious motorheads in the UK know what the Lightning is and what it can do.
I would have bought one myself it I hadn't needed 4 seats so I went for the HD as the next best thing.

Old 08-10-2005 | 09:22 PM
So he bitches and complains about every car? He sounds like a di** and should be kicked in the mouth. Everybody gets a nickname eventually in my unit (Longe Range Surveillance Detachment) and I earned mine in Afghanistan for being so cool headed with the locals.

Old 08-10-2005 | 09:33 PM
I've now seen the whole video.

So he's joking. I get that.

But these guy is a major league idiot. To call it the worst handling car he has ever driven is ludicrous. Surely he has driven an English car. Tell him to bring his gay *ss over here with one of his little Euro-sissy "sports cars" and meet me at the track.

And to criticize American truck chassis technology when the English used to make cars with suspensions that used rubber bumpers for springs? Pluuuueeze.

Tiny brakes? On what planet? They are about the biggest brakes that will fit inside an 18" wheel, which is a damn big wheel.

Old 08-10-2005 | 10:45 PM
Technically it could be the worst "Car" he has ever driven....problem is its a truck. I'm sure nobody told him....maybe we should have our people get in touch with his people and ......

Dale

Old 08-11-2005 | 03:25 AM
Hi Guys!

I had a mate from the UK ring me up last night, who sent me the link to the Topgear site, so I could read the Top Gear article.

I was also pretty impressesd to hear its the Best selling car in the world at the moment, but when I went onto read his observations and comments on the car, I could help think, that he was way out of his world! I immediately logged onto the forum this morning and have found this thread (thanks for the link to the clip). I was even more horrified to hear his low life remarks and bitchy comments! Who does he think he is?!

I don't know the guy or his show, but I think its totally unnecessary to put down ANY car, that way! It doesn't bring anything for anyone, bashing a car and a nation like that! Turning off people who'd dream of owning a car like that, at the same time insulting all of us "millions" of Lightning owners! Its okay to be subjective as a journalist, you'll always find something 'negative' in a car, but he couldn't say ANYTHING positive about the car!! As a journalist I don't think he's got much under his hood - its just worrying that some poeple find what he does, entertaining!

Chin up all you English L owners!!

Achara

Quick Reply: BBC's Top Gear: SVT Lightning