Lightning

99 SVT Lightning Vs. Syclone & Typhoon (blast from the past)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-1999, 12:50 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 99 SVT Lightning Vs. Syclone & Typhoon (blast from the past)

I promised to post this message in regards to someone claiming the Syclone to be the fastest production truck ever built. The 99 Lighting is the fastest production truck ever built with a top end of 139-145MPH depending on who you speak with compared to the Syclone 126MPH. I also have 1/4 mile times related to this issue posted in Car and Driver. http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/4...MCSyclone.html

Have Fun everyone,
Metallic Blue

------------------
1999.5 Black
SVT Lightning
Bone Stock
CD Changer, Tonneau Cover, Class III Tow Hitch.

Old 09-23-1999, 08:03 AM
the mag i saw, had all the fast "trucks", from 454ss el camino & up, proclaimed the "sy" the quickest, the 99.5 the fastest

Old 09-23-1999, 10:02 AM
My stock Syclone would do 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and run the quarter in about 13.8, so it was quicker than the one C&D tested and was in line with factory claims. My top speed, however, was only about 125. Modified versions were (and are) considerably quicker and also faster. Fastest modified Sy I've seen topped out at 140+. Not too bad for a 6 cyl. 1991 pickup, and the Typhoon SUV versions were almost as quick.

But, I sold my Sy (after 6 fun years of ownership) when I bought my '99.5 Lightning and couldn't be happier.

Mike Philpott

Old 09-23-1999, 02:35 PM
Exclamation

Well, I'd have to say that's the most anemic time I've ever seen from a Syclone 0-60 (5.3 seconds), and is undoubtedly the cause of their sorry 1/4 mile time. Every other magazine I've ever seen was able to click off at least a 4.9 second 0-60, which would put the Syclone squarely in 13 second territory. In fact, the most often published figures were 13.6 for the Syclone and 13.9-14.0 for the Typhoon. Remember, magazines are the same ones that say that Lightnings run 14.3-14.5 stock.

Because those two trucks are so different to launch than anything else, their full potential was never shown in magazine testing, because the reporters just didn't know the right technique. I personally have run my Typhoon, when totally stock, to a 13.58 quarter at 99 mph. I have seen plenty of stock Sy's run 13.2-13-5 times during club meets, so I'd say they are quite a bit quicker with someone who knows how to drive one.

As for the 126mph top end, that's not the trucks limit, just a limit set into the chip. Change the chip, and the limit is gone, allowing 140-145mph top speeds according to the few whackos I know that have actually tried out their top end.

So, I guess it could be said that without removal of that limiter, the Sy's and Ty's wont run as fast top end as the Lightnings, but through the 1/4 and for the purposes of a street race, they are quicker.

Old 09-23-1999, 10:01 PM
Lightbulb

I will let you all know which one is the fastest as soon as I get some more miles on my Lightning so I can take them to the strip and run all three. But as far as I know the Syclone & Typhoon are the quickest but the Lighting is the fastest. The Syclone & Typhoon would beat the Lightning in the quarter mile. I will also post some pictures of all three of my trucks and the times from the strip.

------------------
Kelly
Red 99 Lightning
Syclone & Typhoon

Old 09-24-1999, 02:04 PM
Cool

About the same as a Geo Metro Blacklight.

------------------
Red 99.5 Lightning,#0975,Born 5/6/99...Adopted 5/27/99 Chipped w/SuperChip Flipchip chip, Mobil 1

Old 09-24-1999, 02:10 PM
the review i read said, "sy" payload= 500lbs, towing=don't

Old 09-24-1999, 02:32 PM
Wish we had the chance to compare the Lightning to another Full Size pickup! Unfortunatly they just dont make one!! Teehee. The Typhoon and Dakota R/T are great trucks butt, its like Mini - Medium - Big. Im sure it wont be long.

------------------
John Rock
99.5 White Lightning
Melbourne,FL

Old 09-24-1999, 03:22 PM
You are correct, MRBBQ. The Sy/Ty's (or the Syclone, anyway) have a 500 pound max bed load rating, due to the lowered suspension, and towing is not recommended by the factory, so the Geo Metro comparison is appropriate.

One thing to remember about the Sy/Ty's, however, is that they achieved an unheard of level of performance 9 years ago and are still extremely competitive today.

Of course, if we were willing to settle for similar load and towing numbers in our Lightning's, they would handle even more like a slot car than they do already but at the expense of some of the truck utility. I think SVT did it pretty well. Any way you go you compromise the other diminsion, but to me, they got the balance just about right.

Mike

Old 09-24-1999, 07:06 PM
True enough, the factory rated load is 500lbs, and the factory put a sticker on the trucks that says not to tow anything. I know quite a few people who do though and it's become generally accepted that as long as they stay out of boost, the trucks seem to do fine. I'm sure though that their tow rating is far from being what the Lightnings is, but then again, the Sy's and Ty's weren't meant to haul anything other than butt.

Old 09-25-1999, 12:34 AM
Question

Just as a matter of interest, what are the tow and load ratings on the Syclone/Typhoon ?

------------------
99 Black Lightning
Rhino liner
Superchip

Old 09-25-1999, 06:22 AM
Typhoon,

That's true but, other than maybe backing her out of your garage, when was the last time you drove your Ty without getting on the boost?

Mike Philpott
Former Owner of Syclone #2424

Old 09-25-1999, 10:41 AM
Ty and sy are great vehicles. I have driven and appreciate both. But "truck" is used very loosly here by GM since they really couldnt truck anything. SVT's mission was to create a real truck that could haul lots of stuff besides A. I think they did a great job and like the mustang gave us a great starting point to personalize and specialize our rides. Anyway thats my 2cents on this issue.
----------------------------------
99.5 quick n fast white

Quick Reply: 99 SVT Lightning Vs. Syclone & Typhoon (blast from the past)