Lightning

I need help on waxing my black lightning!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-1999 | 03:00 PM
|
Angry I need help on waxing my black lightning!!!!

I am trying to wax my truck for the first time and have never had such horrible results. I am using Meguiars 3 step program but the cleaner just leaves a horrible haze and it looks as if it is beading up on the paint. Does anyone know if I need to use some kind of different cleaner to remove the factory coating or what I should do. Any advice would be immensly appreciated.

Old 10-03-1999 | 03:15 PM
Exclamation

OUCH! I don't think there is any factory coating, it's just clearcoat. I owned a newborn '94 Ranger Splash in the past that I used cleaner/wax combo on early in its life. They used to tell you not to wax for 6-8 weeks, didn't see that in my new manual. Anyway the cleaner softened the clearcoat and made it very susceptible to scratching. Read somewhere later on that early on you should use wax only those first few weeks until the clearcoat fully "cures". Haven't had a problem since using the Mequiers Gold wax. Hope that helps.

------------------
Red 99.5 Lightning,#0975,Born 5/6/99...Adopted 5/27/99 Chipped w/SuperChip Flipchip chip, Mobil 1

Old 10-03-1999 | 04:05 PM
Banned
Hey Sandspur,
I had the exact same problem, I also have a Black Lightning. What I did to fix the problem was followed some instructions a friend gave me. Wash in the Shade from the start keep the surface cool. Rinse Truck really well as usual with Dawn Dark Blue liquid detergent, and go in a back to front motion on top surfaces, then on the sides go up and down for any type of wash or wipe. Use small face cloth sized 100% cotton to wash. Get soft 100% cotton towels made by Cannon/Fieldcrest or other name brands the bigger the towel the better "Made in america". Do not use shop towels or terry cloth. This should strip off all wax, but if it does'nt dry truck with cotton bath towels and use "Mothers Clay" bar on the affected areas. If there is still haze or residue make sure to keep the affected area wet with a mist of water when done doing that dry. If there is still wax washing again with Liquid Detergent and repeat process mist the whole car again and wash using "Z7 Zaino car wash" then dry spotless make sure the car is completely dry. Make sure there are no water spots at all. Zaino products Z1, Z2 and Z6 Z7. Z1 (Show Car "Polish Lok" Pre cleaner and Gloss Conditioner $8.95 Z1 will prep the surface and will hold the 1st coat of polish on. Put a thin coat on the surface and do the full vehicle all at once leave on for 30 minutes to haze up and don't remove it. Leave one section undone to see the difference. Z2 Show Car Polish for Clear Coat paint $12.95. Buy 2 applicators $2.50 from Zaino and use them to apply the Z2 Polish directly over the Z1 precleaner & conditioner. Use one applicator for Z1 and the other applicator for Z2, or you can use one side of one appliactor for Z1 and the other for Z2. Z6 Ultra Clean " Gloss Enhancer Spray" $9.95. Spray some Z6 on one applicator then put a quarter- half dollar sized amount of Z2 on the applicator then spray some Z6 on top of it to make it run a little, this amount should do half the hood. Coat the full truck except Black plastic. Coat the full truck the Z2 is going to turn into a white chalky layer. But do the full truck even the lights, and any chrome "don't do plastic or rubber". Let the Z2 dry for 60 minutes run finger across one little spot and see if the Z2 stays on the spot. Now the Z2 will need to come off after dry. Remember front to back on top surfaces and up and down on the sides the polish will come off very easily. don't forget the tail lights Chrome and wheels. If the polish does not come off easy just spray a little Z6 on a dry towel and wipe the area. At this point it will have a High gloss shine that will show through. You will then need to spray Z6 on the vehicle in sections and wipe off right away so it will not dry if it does dry just spray some Z6 on a dry towel and then wipe the dry Z6 off. Use Zaino every washing if possible. make sure all dirt is removed first from the surface. You should put on 5-10 coats total and, if any bird droppings or sap gets on the vehicle use the Clay bar to get them off. If possible get the Z5 "Polish for fine scratchs and swirl marks" $16.95. The Z5 is actually something I would recommend right off the bat. It can be used any time after the Z1 & Z2 have been put on and it can be used a number of times between coats. The Z5 will keep your paint flawless.

Hope this helps,
Metallic Blue

P.S. The Zaino web page is http://www.zainobros.com/
Try Liquid Glass if you would like also, it may be cheaper but basically almost the same quality. The instructions above for the first paragraph will prep your vehicle for any type of polish or Wax. http://liquidglass.com/
I believe there was a string about this as well. https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000313.html

------------------
1999.5 Black
SVT Lightning
Bone Stock
CD Changer,
Tonneau Cover,
Class III Tow Hitch.

Old 10-03-1999 | 07:56 PM
|
Thanks for the help guys. I called the dealer and they said they use a teflon wax on the vehicles so I guess I need to strip it off with the dishwashing soap. I need to get some of that Zaino everyone that uses it says it is the best. Again thanks for all the help Metallic Blue.

Old 10-04-1999 | 04:44 PM
Dishwashing soap is the worst thing you can use on a clearcoat paint,I had a black lightning so I occasionally browse this site,I used liquid glass cleaner wiped down with a shammi, then used liquid glass polish the whole process took about an hour and a half, I had my truck for 4 months and there was not one swirl or scratch mark on it,you can put as many coats as you want on it and it builds up better protection, you could see your reflection and read a newspaper off the shine.

Good Luck

------------------
Barlitz,
99.5 Black Lightning,
Hinge mount tonneau,
cd player,
bedliner,
lojack,

Old 10-04-1999 | 08:35 PM
Banned
Arrow

Barlitz,
This information was provided by Sal Zaino of Zaino Brothers Show Car Polish. Sal also made a Tips & Tricks page, but did not state the use of "blue liquid dawn detergent" on the page. http://www.zainobros.com/tips.html
I called Sal Zaino up by telephone (732)785-2951, and was specifically told to do this. I would not recommend this unless told by someone so knowledgeable on the subject. Feel free to give Sal a phone call to confirm this.

Metallic Blue

------------------
1999.5 Black
SVT Lightning
Bone Stock
CD Changer,
Tonneau Cover,
Class III Tow Hitch.

Quick Reply: I need help on waxing my black lightning!!!!