Lightning

INTAKE SYSTEMS "What are you running" Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005 | 10:47 AM
|
INTAKE SYSTEMS "What are you running" Opinions?

Hello,

I just picked up a 99 L with low miles and I'm ready to mod it. I had one previously and had it chipped from SAL.

I see there are lots of options out now for these trucks... ie.. Sals High Flow Filter Kit, the AirRaid box filter kit, K&N and I believe JDM also has one.

I recently purchased a 90mm mass air and want to run that with whatever I buy.

I would like your opinions on these systems. Has anyone compared 1 vs. the other? Second... does anyone have one used, vs. buying new?

Thanks.
Mike

Old 08-17-2005 | 10:53 AM
im running just a basic intake i coppyed from most of the cobra style intakes. it works great... im not a big fan of boxes. im gunna try a custom one here soon to see if it does help. but till then just a filter on my maf for me

Old 08-17-2005 | 10:57 AM
|
SRT this,

Thanks for the response.

Do you think the "box" approach is a gimmick, or actually holds value by keeping hot air out? I imagine if the box itself (seeing it's steel/metal) would get very hot under the hood, thus... heating the air inside of it???

Just a thought.

Old 08-17-2005 | 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by FordPlay
SRT this,

Thanks for the response.

Do you think the "box" approach is a gimmick, or actually holds value by keeping hot air out? I imagine if the box itself (seeing it's steel/metal) would get very hot under the hood, thus... heating the air inside of it???

Just a thought.

well im running 12.7 on a drag radial with an upper only and the other mod being the chip.. you deside... btw i also ran a 12.83 on a F1 also...

Old 08-17-2005 | 11:07 AM
I still think moderately powered trucks should stick with a modified stock box and K&N filter. 380-390 rwhp..

-Mark

Old 08-17-2005 | 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by St Louis Lightning
I still think moderately powered trucks should stick with a modified stock box and K&N filter. 380-390 rwhp..

-Mark

i had a modded box with the drop in and going to the open cone was a huge gain at least by seat of the pants feel

Old 08-17-2005 | 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by SRTthis
i had a modded box with the drop in and going to the open cone was a huge gain at least by seat of the pants feel
I went from a modded box to an open filter and saw nothing on the dyno or the track. That was at 400 rwhp SAE. I had a 4" hose running from the bottom.

Old 08-17-2005 | 11:27 AM
I am running the K & N CAI, I am very found of it.

Old 08-17-2005 | 11:30 AM
We have found that with a 4lb or larger pulley and a stock or the "modded" airbox, hp falls off at the top end on some trucks. Switching to the cone setup solves this, but then you have the underhood air. Our FASTair induction system solves that. For trucks running less than a 4lb, the modded airbox should be fine.

Old 08-17-2005 | 12:36 PM
The fast air system is great, I had it for a while and was pleased, it wasn't the best looking box around, but it got the job done, wish I could get it to work with my new setup

Old 08-17-2005 | 01:00 PM
I have the PSP Fast Air kit and love it. I know the ducting works too. Found a dried up frog plastered to my filter yesterday. Haha I love my "vacuum" scoop

Old 08-17-2005 | 01:16 PM
I've had the JLP and the PSP.

I currently have the PSP and am very happy with it. My JLP box was nice, but it was a bit bulky and didn't really secure in the hood area well, kind of floated around. Also it was heavier, and the IAT didn't really secure well or seem to be in a good location. I will say that it's a better looking box than most of the others.

My PSP box has two hoses as opposed to the one hose of the JLP, and I can tell you the scoop is sturdy as I've hit it a couple times on curbs and so forth and it's still in tact. Also, it showed a nice drop in IAT 2's. It also weighs in at like 1lb.

My vote would be PSP and you'll save a couple dollars. The JLP kit weighs in over 300 bux with the lid.

Old 08-17-2005 | 04:50 PM
|
Man,

You guys are GREAT!

It's been a long time since I've been actively involved in this site, as I sold my L. Now that I have another one, it's great to see everyone is still VERY helpful and even simple questions get fast responses.

I LOVE THE LIGHTNING COMMUNITY!!!

Thanks guys!

Old 08-17-2005 | 05:06 PM
I've got the factory air box with hole & WIX filter in it...

Old 08-17-2005 | 05:20 PM
Depends if you are in to "all out" performance, or, you're more interested in better performance over stock, as well as improved looks and SOUND! The "open" intake has better looks and certainly better SOUND! I just got the Air Force 1 intake with True Flow foam filter from Chickenears and think it not only looks great but you can't beat the Sound of the "open element!! Yes, it MAY cost you 5 hp over an enclosed intake but it's worth it! IMO, of course!

Quick Reply: INTAKE SYSTEMS "What are you running" Opinions?