Lightning

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-1999 | 11:52 AM
|
Post Winter Tires

I just bought 4 Bridgestone Winter Dueler (“the Blizzak for light trucks”) tires for my Lightning. I spoke with the fitment expert at The Tirerack (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/snow/index_snowtires.html) a couple times and he seemed to know the new Lightning pretty well. The size he recommended (225/75R-16) was predicated on trying to keep the tire diameter as close to the original 295/45-18 as possible. I told him I thought 225 were a little narrow for the Lightning’s torque, but he said they would cut through the snow better. I guess I’ll have to keep my Superchip in the #1 (original program) position.

As for wheels, I was worried that they fit over the larger brakes. They have some Navigator cast aluminum take-off wheels that he assured me would fit. They were only ~$5 more per wheel than the steel wheels, so I got ‘em. No hubcaps are included. I haven’t installed them yet, but they look good.

Total cost mounted, balanced and shipped UPS 2nd day to Ann Arbor: $628. We have been VERY happy with the Blizzaks on our Caravan and mostly happy with the Michelin Arctic-Alpins on my son’s Jetta. If they save just one accident or excursion off road they will be worth it.

------------------
'99 Black Lightning #1212 5/12/99

Old 10-25-1999 | 03:21 PM
Thumbs up

I went with a studded 235/70-16, same size as the spare. And I agree, I'm going back to program 1 !

------------------
99 Black Lightning
Rhino liner
Superchip

Old 10-25-1999 | 04:49 PM
Is anybody concerned about your front air dam getting ruined in the snow, if you drive down an unplowed street it could break.

------------------
Barlitz,
99.5 Black Lightning,
Hinge mount tonneau,
cd player,
bedliner,
lojack,

Old 10-25-1999 | 05:28 PM
Talking

I was counting on getting as much snow in there as possible, to cool down the heat exchanger for the intercooler...

------------------
99 Black Lightning
Rhino liner
Superchip

Old 10-25-1999 | 08:05 PM
Interesting info there DHFerguson, but there is also another factor to consider for winter driving. I have the Winter Dueler's on now as well and I had mine installed at Superior Tire. The 225's will cut through the snow better which is good if the surface under the loose top layer of snow is more packed snow, but if you are in a city that uses a lot of salt and the underlying layer is slushy/wet then when you cut down to it you will find that you get more wheel spin and less traction. In this case a wider tire is actually preferable as you will be able to ride a little on top of the snow, which will make the best use of the aggresive tread pattern to get tracktion. Also on icy road conditions the more sipes in the tread the better the tire will performe so a wider tire hear is also preferable. Since this will be the most dangerouse condition to drive on I have opted for 245's. Gota hate that black ice

BTW the standard F150 16" steel rims will clear the rear calipers, but not by much.

------------------
99 Lightning in Pull me over Red.
Still stock except for a set for Bridgestone P245/70/R16 Winter Dueler's, on steel rims.
Email me at cruecibahl@home.com

Old 10-26-1999 | 12:01 AM
Wink

DH, good information! I wouldn't worry about your chip position, just treat the gas peddle like it has an eggshell under it, and definitely try to get some extra weight over the rear axle, preferrably something that won't slide around.

Old 08-09-2001 | 06:14 PM
Exclamation

R U ppl insane?!?! I live in northern Ontario, the home of snow. I wouldn't dream of driving a Lightning in winter ! The lack of grip that 440Ft/Lb's of torque generates alone should b cause to seek storage. If that isn't enuff, how about the fact that yours is a mere one of 5000? Maybe words like "salt" and "corrosion" make u think twice? No? Yup, I figure u must have more money than God then. Or maybe Ford is giving insurance away to Americans?
Beats me, mine will never see a snowflake in my lifetime.

Trending Topics

Old 08-09-2001 | 08:27 PM
R U insane!!!

Digging up a post that is like 2 years old to comment on it!

Anyway...for a lot of us...this is our commuter car/winter beater. As affordable as this truck was...I figured it was a much more fun alternative to getting something like a simlarly priced sport trac...or something like that.

Old 08-09-2001 | 08:32 PM
Don't all laugh at once but I have a Chrysler Mini Van to drive on the snowy days this winter.

Old 08-10-2001 | 10:00 AM
|
I can't believe that on the hottest day of the year (at least on this side of the border) someone is thinking of winter tires! Eh?

Do a search on this topic, you'll find lots of comments on the different options, including running the F1's (if you can believe it), from after this topic was first posted.

BTW - I have two winters on my Winter Duelers and they work great. Put 500 pounds of bagged salt in a crib in the bed and stay out of the boost and it sticks pretty well. When the going gets tough, I put it in 2nd gear to keep from spinning from a stop.

Old 08-10-2001 | 10:05 AM
Thumbs up

Think I have to agree with Killer from Canada...These things aren't/weren't made for winter driving,besides I have a small fortune in this thing...The winter is GARAGE time!!!!!

Old 08-10-2001 | 10:08 AM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
J Man,

chicken sh*t!

Old 08-10-2001 | 09:17 PM
winter beater

Don't laugh but I purchased a fine ride for the winter. A 86 Accord 5spd with a monster 1.8 liter growling from under the hood for a total of $75 bucks free with a blown head gasket. I replace the gasket with a total of $50 bucks in parts, $20 bucks in cleaning stuff, and my own labor. I could care less about this turd, but it'll get me through the winter, and keep the truck in the garage. At 260,000 miles it runs like new. lol

Bill
2001 Silver Lightning

Quick Reply: Winter Tires