Lightning

lowering w/Cal-Tracs

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-1999 | 12:21 AM
|
Post lowering w/Cal-Tracs

Boy I've posted a lot of messages today, this is what happens when you are at work by yourself all day

Well I just wanted to update everybody on my progress of lowering my Lightning and adding traction bars.

It is really going to be a test and tune type of thing but I am getting it lowered for about $1300 total, plus I am having Jim Sleeper install the traction bars at the same time. By the way they got some sweet hot rods at the So-Cal Speed Shop, some real vintage ones too.

From what I understand we will be using mostly Eibach components, but will not be doing the same set up as in Truckin' magazine, as I don't want to make it even harder to hook up. I'm sorry for my lack of technical knowledge and terminology here, but what I know for sure is we are keeping the stock shocks for now, but the rear springs will be "pre-loaded" for more immediate reaction off the line. Eventually we will change to Koni drag shocks too.

As far as the traction bars John Calvert doesn't think there will be a problem installing these along with the lowering. I'm still waiting to hear back from him on his progress for the modifications which need to be made for the new Lightnings (Wyldman?).

I'll keep you guys updated.

Mike

------------------
99.5 Black Lightning
PowerSurge Cone Filter
JBA Jet-Hot coated headers
Flowmaster muffler

Old 10-26-1999 | 09:22 PM
Brimstone,

I admit, I have been remiss. I have gone back to work full time now (finally) and they are keeping me pretty busy. I need to call John Calvert with the dimensional figures that he requested and will do so tomorrow (I hope...).

I have had the chance to tune on my Cal-Tracs a bit and find that they are certainly worth all the time and trouble it took to put them on. Even on full power launches (all ponies, incl N2O) I spin the tires for about 30-35 ft and then hook up and am gone in a black flash. I made one pass like that in Austin at the Rally and so there are witnesses.

When we get this conversion to the 99's completed, this is a product that I will highly recommend to anyone with traction probs.

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning Build # 1273, DOB 5-14-99
CD Changer; Tow Pkg.; Lojack; Sal's custom nitrous chip; G-Tech/Pro; SnugLid; BedRug; Invinca-Shield, full kit; NOS KIT 80 hp shot (currently); Clear and smoke Lexan fog light covers; 3M Ti Window Tint; Bel radar detector (shouldn't be an accessory); PowerStack cone filter (a.k.a. supercharger waker upper); American Auto Designs ram air hood - in transit; Cal-Tracs traction bars

Old 10-27-1999 | 01:15 AM
|
Thanks Wyldman I can't wait to get the Cal-Tracs installed, I still want to make it back to the raceway before it's too late and show some people who saw me perform miserably last time what it's like when Lightning really strikes

Mike

------------------
99.5 Black Lightning
PowerSurge Cone Filter
JBA Jet-Hot coated headers
Flowmaster muffler

Quick Reply: lowering w/Cal-Tracs