Lightning

Brake smoke

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005 | 05:20 PM
|
Exclamation Brake smoke

so lastnight i was out playing in the L. as you can see from my deal i live in Minnesota. im on one of our nice backwoods highways testing her out. now im doing 130 give or take a couple Mph. im sure some of you midwestern guys know whats about happen here. im glad i had the brights on cause wouldnt ya know it a whitetail steps into view down the road a bit. now i say down the road a bit. he didnt jump out in front of me or anything. he was round 125 yards when i saw him. also keep in mind that i have one eye and no depth perception, thus terrible judgment of distance. naturally i HIT THE BRAKES. as far as i know our brakes are off the F-350. twin pistons on 12" rotors up front and single piston on 13" in the back i think. pretty good even on a 4700lb truck. i stopped in time,and he ran off. while i was stopped i held the brake cause i was in D. all the sudden smoke comes POURING out of my front wheel wells. im talkin it looked like i was bruning out with my front tires holding still. it took me a good 10 seconds after i stopped before i realized what the hell was going on. i took off and crused at 70 for a bit to cool the rotors a little. but now it seems ive got a bit more slop in my brakes. anyway ill get to the question. could any of this have badly damaged my brakes????

Last edited by Big Shooter; 08-27-2005 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-28-2005 | 02:48 AM
I'd rather smoke the brakes than smack a deer!
If the brakes still feel funny tomorrow, you may want to change out the brake fluid.

Old 08-28-2005 | 11:10 AM
I betcha the rotors are glazed over.
They may have cracks in them from the heat.

I'd take off the front tires and take a good look at them, just to be certain.

Old 08-28-2005 | 02:18 PM
|
alright, ill take a look at em. i kinda did yeasterday through the tire and the surface looked the same but i didnt check for cracks. just curious, what could that do to my brake fluid?

Old 08-28-2005 | 06:03 PM
I had smoke (pure white smoke) pouring out of my front brakes from a 130 to 0 stop once. I thought is was the front tires skidding at first. The brake feel didn't return to normal till about 1000 miles later (glaze wearing out?)

Old 08-28-2005 | 06:18 PM
|
well i guess a glaze is like a polish so it prolly takes some friction out. prolly why im pressing harder. and i guess after the glaze wore off the braking would return to normal.

Old 08-28-2005 | 08:17 PM
The fluid may have boiled and thats not a good thing. After a long hard stop it is best to keep the truck moving for a while to let the rotors and all the related parts cool evenly. If you do the big stop and stay there the pads stay on one part of the rotor keeping the heat in it way longer than the rest of the rotor.
Change out the brake fluid ASAP . That is someting we all seem to neglect to do as often as we should.

Old 08-28-2005 | 09:48 PM
If you go to driving school or to autocross you will hear people warning you about stopping and leaving your foot on the brake, that traps the heat and causes the smoke you saw. The best thing to do is to keep moving at slow safe speed to cool the brakes and the rest of the truck...

The smoke is generated from something vaporiziing ...
Its not going to be the rotors so it has to be the pads or brake fluid or both...

If the fluid was burning and venting out of the caliper that would be BAD - more likely you were simply smoking the surface of the pads and burning off any debris on the rotors. Once the pads wear the buildup back off the rotors and the pads wear down past the damaged area your brakes should return to normal.

Quick Reply: Brake smoke