Lightning

HELP!!! Is this detonation???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-1999 | 10:28 PM
|
Exclamation HELP!!! Is this detonation???

Took my Lightning on its first open road test since installing the superchip. Thing really runs great in town and on the highway. Anyway, got to a good stretch of 95 and thought I would unwind it a bit. Disengaged overdrive, pressed far right pedal firmly to the floor, and held on tight. Truck dropped down a gear and pushed me comfortably into the back of the seat.

I was grinning quite a bit as I pushed around 4k on the tach, showed 10 or so on the gauge for boost, and around 110 (give or take a little) I heard a weird sound. It sounded at first like something was blowing around and hitting something under the hood. I guess it is best described as the sound a very twiggy branch would make when the wind was making it bang on a tin roof. Not really a rattle or clacking sound, but like something was blowing around in the engine compartment. Got out of the pedal, it went away. Repeat pedal down, sound comes back around 110. Backed out. Stop, change to position 1, repeat process. Truck is noticably slower, less pickup, less acceleration, softer shifting, boring. No noise at 110-115, still 10 PSI on gauge.

I'm a little worried. I have heard detonation described as marbles in a tin can, but this just wasn't quite what I expected.

Thanks in advance,

------------------
Aaron Luck
'99 Red SVT Lightning
Superchip, Ford soft tonneau cover, 6 disk changer, ford bedliner, CL III tow package, 15+ coats of Zaino

'98 Silver Frost SVT Contour
KKM Induction Kit, Superchip, 73mm MAF

'90 Cardinal Red 5.0 LX Convertible Mustang
Removed intake silencer

Old 10-30-1999 | 08:27 AM
Hi Lucky99, or maybe in this case not so lucky It could be a detonation problem. Repeat the experiment but this time use a higher octane fuel (unless you are already using 94) to see if it still happens. Sometimes a detonation problem will go away if you use a better grade fuel. What were you using when this happened ?

I also noticed you have an SVT Contour. I love that car !! I had a silver one as well before I traded it in for my Lightninig. It was a tough decision, but I could not afford to have both I never modified mine, but I was thinking of it before getting the L. Do your modifications make much of a noticable improvement ?

Anyway, I don't know if my suggestion will be much help. I don't have a chip yet but I always run 92 or better, as I have occasionally noticed a slight nock when using 91 which is the Ford recomended grade fuel.

------------------
99 Lightning in Pull me over Red.
Still stock except for a set for Bridgestone P245/70/R16 Winter Dueler's, on steel rims.
Email me at cruecibahl@home.com

[This message has been edited by SnowPlow (edited 10-30-1999).]

Old 10-30-1999 | 10:40 AM
Hey Lucky99,

It very well could be. I noticed definite pinging noise during several 1/4 mile passes back in September. The best fuel I can buy is 92 octane, so I called Superchips and talked to them about it. They had said that a few others were having the similar experiences and Superchips was able to correct it by adjusting the program slightly at the rpm/gear where the detonation was being noticed. You must call them first (888-227-2447, talk to Patrick) and Superchips will provide you a return number that must be noted on the outside of your box when you send it. I sent mine 2-day delivery and they returned it the same way. Total turn around was an impressive 5 business days. I sent it out Monday evening, and receive it back the next Monday afternoon. By the way, I also had them firm up the shifts further and I'm very satified with the results, and all was done at no charge (except for my shipping cost to them).

Good Luck...... Joel

Old 10-30-1999 | 11:18 AM
Hey Lucky99,

JoeLightning nailed it on the head. I had the same issue and SuperChip was glad to correct it for me. My truck ran better and was just as strong as the first program they sent me, but definitly eliminated the pinging.

The best way to describe the sound to me was like the valves were clattering. This isn't technically accurate, but the best I can do to describe it.

You'll have to drive it stock for a few days, but it is definitly necessary so you don't hurt your baby.

Good luck and have a good one.....

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning Build # 1273, DOB 5-14-99
CD Changer; Tow Pkg.; Lojack; Sal's custom nitrous chip; G-Tech/Pro; SnugLid; BedRug; Invinca-Shield, full kit; NOS KIT 80 hp shot (currently); Clear and smoke Lexan fog light covers; 3M Ti Window Tint; Bel radar detector (shouldn't be an accessory); PowerStack cone filter (a.k.a. supercharger waker upper); American Auto Designs ram air hood - Delivered and at the body shop; Cal-Tracs traction bars

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Is this detonation???