Lightning

so this cant be good

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LightninMike
well i changed the oil obvioulsy and put in 10w-30 mobil 1 and a qt of Lucus
the motor only has 5000 miles on it and it is a JLP short block. i have a oil seperator on the pass side of the motor and i have just recently removed the tube from the intake tube that ran to the valve cover and put a breather in that cover
this weekend i plan on pulling the s/c and i am going to tru to pull down the exhaust and take a peek in there
yeah i dont see it smoking and there is deff no puddles under the truck

i am gona be real pissed if i have to re-ring this motor this winter
thanks for all the help guys i appreciate it alot

Have you talked to JLP about warrantying the motor? I know a motor or two of his in the past have been known to burn oil I would imagine he would work with you unless it's leaking because of something you've done.

Old 09-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Oil rings could be bad and still have good compression. However, your problem is likely valve guides, particularly if they are early Patriot heads which were ported with valve uides in the head. Look into ports and see if valve guides extend into the ports for an inch or so. If they do not extend measurably into the ports, they have been shortened too much and will quickly wear out due to lack of proper alignment and stability. You need a new set of guides, seals, and valve job. If so, contact patriot, they are aware of the problem, but not sure if they will honor it. The newer Patriot heads have full length guides.

Last edited by BigBobsL; 09-05-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:38 AM
When you pulled your plugs did you notice if the staining was more on one side of the plug than the other. Bad guides will usually stain or foul the plug side closest to the guide thats leaking. However if the heads were done wrong as mentioned above this might not matter. Just another thing to help zero in on the problem. Artie

Old 09-06-2005, 11:17 AM
i have talked to JL and he has been very helpful and we are both in agreement that it is the heads
i dont think they are the early heads as i just got them in May but they do have bronze guides and JL was saying i should have them replaced with stock guides
i think i am gona try to have Patriot send me a new set with stock guides
Artie, the "soot or oil not sure what yet" was on the top ot the threads and not on the electrode

Quick Reply: so this cant be good