Lightning

so this cant be good

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005 | 09:51 PM
|
Unhappy so this cant be good

so i got a good question for you all
why does a motor eat 5 qts of oil in 2000 miles?
nope sorry would love for this to be one of those joke questions, haha got ya motor runs great......... yeah not so much
this thing doesnt leak **** nor does it seem to be burning it
was i useing an oil that was just to thin? (5w-30)
this doesnt make any sense to me or anyone else i have asked about it

Old 08-28-2005 | 09:58 PM
I don't know squat but I'll throw this out- Have you checked your transmission fluid level?

A completely different setup, but once I had an issue with a transmission drinking fluid like mad, a couple quarts per week and not a drop on the ground anywhere. Ended up I had a bad vaccuum modulator (or something like that) and the fluid ended up in my engine crankcase. When I changed the oil it had over 2 gallons of oil/ trans fluid in the crank case.

Also I'd check the coolant.

Old 08-28-2005 | 10:17 PM
bad valve guides
bad piston rings

Old 08-28-2005 | 10:48 PM
|
Originally Posted by l-menace
bad valve guides
bad piston rings
i am leaning more to the rings but wtf the motor is brand new

Old 08-29-2005 | 12:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Man that just sux! Ford specs 5w-20 and that is a thinner oil than you are using. So I would say that the oil viscosity isn't the issue. This sounds like a piston ring issue to me. No leaks at all? No smoking? This is a stretch but how is your PCV system hooked up, are you running breathers on your cam covers?

It would be good to know if there is any oil pre-cats and you would need to look on both sides because it may be one or two sets of rings on one side of the motor. But if oil is blowing by the rings then I would think that you would have smoke from the cats cooking off the oil.

You might pull the SC and see how much oil is being pulled into the intercooler if you are not running breathers or an oil catch can.

Just throwing out some things to check here, I just don't know where else the oil could be going. You said that this is a new motor, is this from a Ford dealer or is it a custom built motor? I would be calling the folks that built the motor. I hope you get it figured out and please post any findings because I am very curious to know where from the oil is leaking and where it's going. Good luck!

Last edited by Txoutlaw; 08-29-2005 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-29-2005 | 06:46 AM
Wow that sucks monkey *** Mike

You got some good suggestions and I cant add anything except that oil is going somewhere, and you should be able to figure out where fairly easy.
If it's a ring / rings you may only be blowing oil out on hard acceleration so your not seeing it, but if thats the case one would imagine your exhaust tips and surrounding area should clearly show this, DOES IT ???

If it's the valve guides, you would think you'd easily see the smoking, but if my memory serves me correctly, with bad valve guides you'll only see the smoke "after you lift off the pedal", again not easy to always see.

As said def check the Coolant and Transmission levels to make sure nothing freaky is happening there.

Have you checked your plugs ? are they wet ? do they show any signs of raw oil ?

Best of luck Bro

Old 08-29-2005 | 11:15 PM
|
Originally Posted by Txoutlaw
Man that just sux! Ford specs 5w-20 and that is a thinner oil than you are using. So I would say that the oil viscosity isn't the issue. This sounds like a piston ring issue to me. No leaks at all? No smoking? This is a stretch but how is your PCV system hooked up, are you running breathers on your cam covers?

It would be good to know if there is any oil pre-cats and you would need to look on both sides because it may be one or two sets of rings on one side of the motor. But if oil is blowing by the rings then I would think that you would have smoke from the cats cooking off the oil.

You might pull the SC and see how much oil is being pulled into the intercooler if you are not running breathers or an oil catch can.

Just throwing out some things to check here, I just don't know where else the oil could be going. You said that this is a new motor, is this from a Ford dealer or is it a custom built motor? I would be calling the folks that built the motor. I hope you get it figured out and please post any findings because I am very curious to know where from the oil is leaking and where it's going. Good luck!
well i changed the oil obvioulsy and put in 10w-30 mobil 1 and a qt of Lucus
the motor only has 5000 miles on it and it is a JLP short block. i have a oil seperator on the pass side of the motor and i have just recently removed the tube from the intake tube that ran to the valve cover and put a breather in that cover
this weekend i plan on pulling the s/c and i am going to tru to pull down the exhaust and take a peek in there
yeah i dont see it smoking and there is deff no puddles under the truck

i am gona be real pissed if i have to re-ring this motor this winter
thanks for all the help guys i appreciate it alot

Old 09-04-2005 | 08:54 PM

Any news Mike?

Old 09-05-2005 | 02:21 AM
|
Originally Posted by Txoutlaw
Any news Mike?
well today i pulled the sc off cause i wanted to see if maybe it was inhaleing the oil, and like i thought it was plenty clean
so i pulled the plugs and did the compression check
all holes were very good, #1 was a tad high at 180psi and all the rest were in between 170 and 176 so thats good
would compression be down if the rings were shot???? i have no idea
some of the plugs did have a bit of carbon build up on them (possable oil i guess) so now i am thinking valve guides
if so thats not that bad of a job to pull the heads but it still sucks
guess i really wont know till i can get them off and have them looked at
think ill be calling Patriot this week too

Old 09-05-2005 | 09:13 AM
that wicked sucks. my 01 did the same drank 3-4 quarts every 2-3000 miles no smoke no leaks no nothing. Did it sense it was new. Ford deemed it "normal" usage. So according to ford your all set.

Old 09-05-2005 | 10:55 AM
|
Originally Posted by jeff2001silver
that wicked sucks. my 01 did the same drank 3-4 quarts every 2-3000 miles no smoke no leaks no nothing. Did it sense it was new. Ford deemed it "normal" usage. So according to ford your all set.
LMAO well ok then i guess ill just have to run nitrous to keep the plugs clean then
btw: my truck made 413rwhp so you and i would be a very good race...............aslong as you could shift it

Old 09-05-2005 | 11:05 AM
you'll definitely win, I'm carrying around probably 500lbs more and that's only including the weight of the truck. My racing days in the ram are probably done anyway, it's not much fun to race. Looking at getting a charger srt-8 or something. Found a viper srt-10 but couldn't even come close to fitting in it, was looking over the windshield. damn thing wasn't made for anyone over 5 feet tall.

Old 09-05-2005 | 11:12 AM
|
Originally Posted by jeff2001silver
you'll definitely win, I'm carrying around probably 500lbs more and that's only including the weight of the truck. My racing days in the ram are probably done anyway, it's not much fun to race. Looking at getting a charger srt-8 or something. Found a viper srt-10 but couldn't even come close to fitting in it, was looking over the windshield. damn thing wasn't made for anyone over 5 feet tall.
i feel your pain.........on the height thing anyway
the viper would have been cool tho, you ever driven one? they are so much fun

Old 09-05-2005 | 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by LightninMike
all holes were very good, #1 was a tad high at 180psi and all the rest were in between 170 and 176 so thats good
That's great news Mike! IMHO this indicates that there are no issues with the rings, pistons or cylinder walls.

Originally Posted by LightninMike
would compression be down if the rings were shot???? i have no idea
Absolutley. If you have a test that is 25% lower than the norm then there is a problem. It could be the rings, a hole in a piston or maybe one the cylinder walls is glazed preventing the rings from sealing.

But you have some good test numbers which eliminates the pistons, piston rings and cylinder walls. Man that is just great news.

I'm at a loss as to where the oil is going. If it was the valve guides I would think your truck burning that much oil would smoke like a coal fired freight train. I think calling Patriot is a very good idea.

I can't believe Ford said that consuming 3-4 qts of oil every 2000-3000 miles is normal usage, especially with the tight tolerances of these motors...

I hope you get this figured out. Good luck.

Old 09-05-2005 | 08:45 PM
|
thanks TX, glad to see that my rings are good and that the low compression would have been a sure sign. learn something new everyday
i will deff be calling Patriot as that would be the next thing. i too thought it would be smoking like a a frieght train but not at all. like i said the plugs are a little funky now not sure if its oil (would they still be wet?) or a soot build up but i dont what would cause that either? oh well more looking on the next day off

Quick Reply: so this cant be good