Lightning

For anyone ever wanting to Mount a power Drivers seat on the passenger side......

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005 | 04:42 PM
|
For anyone ever wanting to Mount a power Drivers seat on the passenger side......

YES, it can be done.

NO, it's not easy.

NO, the brackets for the seat do not line up.

Here's what i did.

Got my center console. Repainted it. Painted the top red to match the rest of my painted interior. Took a piece of the fabric that covered the console on the bench fromt he Wet Okoles and reappolstered the console cover.

Mounted the brackets and mounted the console. EASY.

Now, i have this power drivers seat. Obviously, first problem is controls are on the wrong side. I left the lumbar (who really uses it anyway) and up/down control alone. The seat frame had provisions to run the wire harness for the power controls through the other side.

Problem 1) The bottom cushion is specific to the drivers side, which I knew. I undid the cover and cut some foam out. I then had my mother alter my wet okoles to fit the bucket seat. You really need an industrial machine on this fabric. She had a hard time with it. It came out good but I wasn't worried because my Covers are faded badly (another whole story) and i'll get new ones soon.

Problem 2) Plastic trim from passenger doesnt fit driver.....plus no place to put switches. Fix.... I trimmed some foam from the cusion which allowed the plastic to fit. There is no raised mount for the switch controls to fit on, so I am going to customize it to fit. Basically trace the hole patter on the drviers side, neatly cut the holes, plastic weld two bosses to mount the screws on the inside and that's done. Already mocked it up, no problem.

Problem 3) Brackets do not fit holes in floor. There was a couple of ways to fix this problem. What i did was first unbolt the seat from the track set up. Put the track in place. Realized the front would line up, but not the back, or vice versa. So i put the seat back in place and realized the front holes where the best match, now to fix the back.

First thing i did was cut the seat belt mount off the track. Then i tapped the hole in the front like you would for putting in a converted passenger to bucket seat. I then made a template for the back outside foot. I realized that the inside foot would line up fine if the foot was on the outside of the frame instead of the inside. So i fabricated a new foot and welded it onto the seat and made it look clean. I then cut the raised gussets on the inside foot, heated and bent the foot from the inside to the outside. I then put a bead of weld on the seam and welded in a couple of gussets for strenth. It's not any less solid then it was stock now.

Problem 4) No wiring harness. I just jumped two wireds from the drivers side, under the console, and to the passenger side..

Problem 5) And still kinda a problem. The seat belt. I used the stock belt from the bench seat. It works but i'm not real happy with it. It's getting caught when the seat moves back and forth and i think the same would happen ever wiht the manual seat. It's in, it's safe, but i'm gonna come up with something better at some point.

All in all, i guess if you could get a power seat bracket from an expedition for the passenger side, if they even make it, it would be easier, but expensive. I figured i had the drivers seat that I got on a good deal . I really wanted to have two power seats , basicaly just because it's different and ive never seen or heard of a lightning with it.

I didn't want to but all the other seat pans and brackets and have the passenger side cut. At this point, i'll sell the passenger seat and this whole thing will end up costing me nothing but time.

I'll snap some picks later but it came out good.

Old 09-06-2005 | 05:12 PM
This thread is useless without pics.

Old 09-06-2005 | 06:20 PM
There is an easier way. Power passenger seat from an Expy with the L's cusion and back rest.

Old 09-06-2005 | 06:51 PM
|
yeah

I'll snap some picks later but it came out good.
Acutally, even if i didn't post picks, it answers the question if the stock drivers seat will mount on the passenger side. The answer I commonly got was............not sure.......don't know, maybe.

There is an easier way. Power passenger seat from an Expy with the L's cusion and back rest.
I already am aware of this and pointed it out, but thanks.

All in all, i guess if you could get a power seat bracket from an expedition for the passenger side, if they even make it, it would be easier, but expensive. I figured i had the drivers seat that I got on a good deal . I really wanted to have two power seats , basicaly just because it's different and ive never seen or heard of a lightning with it.
I didn't want to but all the other seat pans and brackets and have the passenger side cut. At this point, i'll sell the passenger seat and this whole thing will end up costing me nothing but time.

Old 09-06-2005 | 07:04 PM
|
pics

Waiting for plastic piece to go back on, notice hole for power switches. Can see the top of the switch box.

Here are the altered brackets. You can see the new fabbed foot and notice how the foot is turned and fasted with the seat belt on the inside.

Blury pick. That's an 05 stang in the passenger window. Notice my faded wet okoles?????

Last edited by tallimeca; 09-06-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2005 | 08:15 PM
Exactly, I am trading a guy my stock dash for a pair of Powered Expy seats soon. Plan on selling the driver's seat and using the frame/power functions only from the passenger seat. I will then just reinstall/cut the cushions from my L seat and be on my way. Passenger seat will be full power and look stock.

Old 09-06-2005 | 08:19 PM
|
nice

I will then just reinstall/cut the cushions from my L seat and be on my way. Passenger seat will be full power and look stock.
You can't tell anything has been changed unless you look under the seat at the bracket that's been altered, .........and who cares anyway? Hehehe.

Old 09-06-2005 | 08:20 PM
|
oh yeah

and the jack don't fit under the power seat................in case anyone wanted to know. I'm gonna use the bracket and get a stud and mount it in the bed.

Old 09-06-2005 | 09:08 PM
that came out real nice
good work
but dude way to much red in there, for my taste anyway

Old 09-06-2005 | 09:13 PM
|
haha

It's my RED NIGHTMARE as Jim from JDM calls it.

Everyone who's seen it on the net then seen it in person will vouch how much better it looks in person.

Old 09-06-2005 | 09:15 PM
oh i am sure it looks great, i am just not a fan of color matched interiors. black and grey work for me

Old 09-06-2005 | 10:21 PM
Looking sweet, you can do mine whenever you're ready

Old 09-06-2005 | 10:41 PM
Any thoughts on changing your remaining grey to black? will probably match the red nicer.

Looking good.

--Dan

Old 09-06-2005 | 11:05 PM
|
nope

to each their own. I like the way my truck is. That's cool if you don't like it. Everyone is different. I'm not into aftermarket wheels myself and there's a tone of guys on here with wheels i wouldn't be caught dead with.

It's all in your taste. I can say I get more compliments then people who don't like it...........but maybe they don't say anything cause they have nothing nice to say........hehe

Quick Reply: For anyone ever wanting to Mount a power Drivers seat on the passenger side......