Lightning

So far the Mag and 60's are awesome......

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005 | 07:28 AM
|
So far the Mag and 60's are awesome......

I'm not interested in getting into another Injector or SC dispute, so lets NOT.
I just want to give my re-visited opinion on the Mag and now with the 60's

First off I really got to start listening to people about NOT getting too tied up in the Dyno results, or more important the Peak Numbers. It's the overall picture that counts, where's the extra power, what RPM band, and can I use it. Sometimes it's more about Tq, sometimes it's more about HP, but it's ALWAYS about the flow of the Chart.

But to put that all behind for one second I got to say this,
The Mag DEF feels Stronger
It DEF sounds awesome, MUCH Better Whine, the way it should sound
And "the seat of the pants meter" DEF hits higher numbers

So far so good meaning I've been checking plugs ramdamly and they always look great. So far Cylinder 1, (that use to constantly burn plugs) looks exactly like the others, they ALL look the same, and they ALL are burning the same, 3 things that were NOT happening before.

I've driving it more in the last 4 days than prob the last 4 months, and the last two days have seen many WOT blast, over 20lbs of boost, and so far I'm still runnning on all 8, WOO HOO

I ain't saying ALL my troubles are behind, but after so many months of disappointments, this is clearly the best I've seen yet. The Truck is idling like a dream come true, responding instantly, feeling much stronger in the mid range, and the WHINE is just outright amazing at WOT 20lbs or more of screaming Boost.

I am now going to take it to work, AND DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT

Old 09-09-2005 | 08:15 AM
Good to hear your getting things worked out. After you get some nitrous tunes worked in to the picture it will be time to hit the track as good weather is just around the corner! Good Luck Rob!

Old 09-09-2005 | 08:40 AM
Sounds good Rob Do you still plan to do valve springs?

Old 09-09-2005 | 09:10 AM
Glad you got it lined out Rob.

Now for the really important numbers. ETs and speeds down the 1/4

Rich

Old 09-09-2005 | 09:14 AM
i always follow your posts and im glad to see its working out for you sometimes we get so caught up in the problems we forget how much we actually enjoy the trucks i had a couple problems with my motor build so i know how you feel.

Victor

Old 09-09-2005 | 09:51 AM
Glad to hear you may be nailing the problems down Rob, Its always alot more enjoyable to be Driving the truck instead of working on it, after I get my truck back the only work I want to be doing is applying coats of zaino, changing the oil, and cleaning melted rubber off my wheel wells.

Old 09-09-2005 | 09:53 AM
about time!

Old 09-09-2005 | 10:35 AM
hey rob, what exactly are your mods on the built motor?

Old 09-09-2005 | 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by svtandy
hey rob, what exactly are your mods on the built motor?
Rob has: PSP short block, stock heads/cams (heads were freshened up), Magnum Powers blower, 8lb lower, 2.7 upper with MP idler, SBTB, C&L upper plenum, PSP FASTair induction system, MAF extender, 60lb injectors, Denso IT24s, long tube headers, high flow cats, cat back. I think that's it.

Old 09-09-2005 | 10:48 AM
I believe he has a built shortblock with stock heads/cams fed by the Magnum with an 8lb lower.

too late, what Sal said ^

Old 09-09-2005 | 12:10 PM
well that's pretty interesting because it's pretty close to what I am running:
Magnum Powers, 2.7" upper, 9.0" lower, kooks long tubes, highflow cats, custom catback(magnaflow x-pipe into to dynomax bullets & out the stock tips), E-fan, 60lb SD injectors, MAFia, 14" metco cone filter(rubbermaid heat shield ), TR-6 plugs gapped at .31, EGR removed, FTVB, Predator custom tune by RWTD on 93 octane, I also port matched the upper intake to the magnum's intake.
everything else is stock in the engine & tranny. I am still waiting for my new tune for all the new stuff I put on, when I get this monster tuned I will post up numbers. should be interesting.

the couple things I don't have are: MP idler, SBTB, C&L upper plenum, and 6 vice 8 lb lower.

Old 09-09-2005 | 12:44 PM
Great news Rob!!! I hope your troubles are over.

Old 09-09-2005 | 01:06 PM
Glad to hear it bro! Now take that thang to the track!

Old 09-09-2005 | 03:48 PM
|
Thanks Guys

I may be jumping the gun by assuming (got knows I stick my foot in my *** daily) but THERE IS NO DOUBT the Spark Plugs are burning and looking and lasting better than EVER before SO FAR. And I'm still running on all 8.
I know that doesn't seem like a biggy to most of you, but for me it's a frigging mile stone I tell you

Sal built me an amazing motor, and no issues have been related to anything he's done since day one. It was my cheap *** that decided we could use the stock heads and cams, it was my cheap *** who wanted to save a few bucks and went for the smaller Injectors, and it was my *** that assumed I could boost the schitt out of it and reach 500 HP.

SO I guess I have no one to blame but myself for the 6 months of living hell I've gone through. But if not anything else, we ALL learned something here, and hopefully YOU wont make the same mistakes.
YA AT MY EXPENSE, (@$^%@$%@($%@$ ARE YOU ALL HAPPY NOW

The Mag got a lot of negative feedback when I took it off, and yes the Ported Wasp showed some pretty amazing results that had us all thinking.
But the Mag always had more power in the upper RPM's and the day I switched them I DEF felt a lose of power, as time went on I KNEW I had lost some power, and since I put the Mag back on, I KNOW I got it back.
It's only fair I tell that, as I have my other results.

There is not a doubt in my mind since my truck is making over 580 SAE TQ from the second you stab it, that the 444 HP is not correct, and "is" low.
Since TQ starts at the MAx and drops off in the Upper RPM, But HP starts Low and rises in the Upper RPM's, it's all starting to make sense.
The Springs WILL HAVE TO BE CHANGED and until I do I may still have some Porc Cracking issues, but it does appear I have finally got past the plug melting and burning, and identified the prob.

Can I race it like this ?
I guess we'll find out

Old 09-09-2005 | 06:34 PM
Glad to see you running well again. Get some baseline numbers at a track before introducing the nitrous and save yourself some headaches.
I know you left 60hp or better by keeping the stock heads, but your plan was to make that up by using a large shot of juice. When all is said and done I am willing to bet your #s will approach your original goals.
Mine is still in the shop (went inside today) but I will be around the tracks to check out the progress.
Jim

Quick Reply: So far the Mag and 60's are awesome......