Lightning

Superchip Problems!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-1999 | 11:06 AM
H8 2 W8

Did you straighten out the bracket that the computer mounts to? This bracket wraps around the computer module right where the superchip attaches. In factory form, the edge of the bracket is positioned between the computer and the supeerchip and can wedge the superchip loose even with duct tape on it.
Try this if you haven' already, several of us had that problem when we first got our chips.

Good Luck,

Lightning Bob

P.S. I'm now completely satisfied with my Superchip, but I also had to return mine at my expense when I first got it because it would not work in position 1.

Old 11-23-1999 | 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor
OK, there's a bit of exaggeration and anger obviously showing here. This individual first claimed to have sent in his Superchip 4 times; this claim was made to Jay at Superchips this morning, and to our staff here at Performance today by this person, and of course that turned out not to be the case. Nor was it sent in 3 times.

He *did* in fact send it in twice, however, on 11/8 and 11/16, which in my opinion (and his, I'm sure!) is 2 times too many, of course! I have spoken to this customer of ours this morning, and it's a very simple matter to take care of his problem. I think anger & frustration made him exaggerate, but he did in fact have a problem that needs to be taken care of, and it *will* be taken care of.

One thing that we have noticed is that there are a few of these vehicles where the actual thickness of the edge connector (where a performance chip attaches to a Ford computer)is thinner than normal, by as much as 1/16th of an inch. (total variance +/- = 1/16th")When this happens, the connection is sometimes not quite as tight as it should be, and it's not the fault of the Superchip, as it's dimensions do not vary, it's the edge connector thickness that can vary. Robert's problem will be taken care of easily next week, when he sends in his computer & Superchip, and he happily agreed to this when I spoke with him today, as he prefers to keep the Superchip and have it operating properly. Out of the hundreds of Lightnings that we have provided Superchips for, this is the 4th that has had a thin edge connector causing this type of problem, just to give you an idea of what we're experiencing with our customers. To give you an idea of the return rate of the Superchip for the Lightnings, it's running an extremely low 2.1% - 2.3%. Return rates for Superchips in all Ford vehicles overall is 1.6% - 1.9%, just to give you an idea as to it's reliability rate. That means that on average, about 2 people out of every hundred have some type of problem with their Superchip. This includes returns for adjustments made to compensate for local fuel quality as well, so this is not an actual "failure rate", it's the *overall* return rate. This is the lowest in the industry among those chipmakers that make their return data public, but it still means that about 2 people out of every hundred will deal with some issue. While I'd love for that number to be "zero", to date nobody has achieved perfection in this, or any other business.

I appreciate others with Superchips that have been kind enough to post their experience in this thread as well. It clearly shows that the vast majority are enjoying their Superchips.

We are extremely well known for our customer service, and I think that is very well known around here. This customer will be taken care of, as always. I have spoken to him at length about all aspects of this. He has mentioned that he likes what the Superchip does for the truck, that it is very noticeable to him, and he wants to keep it if possible.

Again, it's easy to get on the Internet in a fit of anger and say things here on the message boards. However, if someone has a problem and wants it taken care of, they can simply call us, as always, and we'll be happy to take care of it, plain and simple.

Just for future reference, for anyone that has a problem with any product they have purchased from us, please feel free to call us right away, before your frustration level builds to the breaking point.

Our bests to all, and have a great Thanksgiving!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 11-23-1999).]

Old 11-23-1999 | 01:58 PM
In defense of SuperChips, let me say this.
I too had an issue of the Ford connector being too thin. I had the luxury of being within 30 minutes of SuperChips here in Florida. They were great about it. I called at 10:00 and had it to them by lunch. Took them 15 min. and they had me going. Chip works great now! They built up the connections at no charge.
Also, I'm on of those that didn't clean the edge connector well enough for fear of damaging it by wearing through. Chris at SuperChips had the silicone cleaned out at no charge.
If people expect better customer support than that, I hope SC thems them to blow 'em.
I don't think even Sal can provide this level of service.
Just my take on it.

Old 11-23-1999 | 02:00 PM
Oh Yeah. About Mike Troyer.....
Won't do better here either.

------------------
Rich
1999.5 SVT Lightning - Red. Super Chip. K&N Filter. Viper Alarm w/remote start, etc. Build #2755
stbtb@Tampabay.rr.com

1999 Expedition XLT

Old 11-23-1999 | 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear TampaBayLightning,

Thanks very much for you sharing your experiences with us.

I wanted to point something out here, and that is, this issue of the variance in the actual thickness of the edge connector. If this was something that had *any* consistency, Superchips could easily, and would happily, change the specs on the size of the female data slot on the back of the Superchip module. However, that is *not* the case. The Lightning uses a computer circuit board and software not used by *any* other Ford vehicle, the CUX1 combo. If they were *all*, or even *mostly*, on the thin side, this would be very easy to compensate for in the manufacturing process. However, in the real world, this is not consistent, this thin edge connector, so we have identified this and can easily correct for this, should anyone experience this problem. So far it's affected very few vehicles, and it's easily taken care of.

Bests,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 11-23-1999 | 02:55 PM
Hey Mike, I sent you mail about an hour ago. Let me know your opinion on this matter. By the way I have had no problems with your chip this far.

------------------
99 SVT Lightning
BLK. #1476 5/20/99
2 Chamber Flowmasters
Downs Air Intake
B.F.Goodrich Drag T/A`s
Superchips
A-pillar Phantom Boost Guage
Redline Water Wetter
Sportmaster Flip tonneau
Tow package
CD changer

Best run to date
13.064 @105.33
N.O.S. (on order)

"Empty Pockets Racing"Drag Race Team NJ-DE

Old 11-23-1999 | 04:35 PM
|
Thumbs up

Hey Mike,

If you read the post it stated I have sent it back three times for three different programs NOT FOUR!!!! I purchased it new with ONE program, sent it back for the SECOND program on 11/8 and then again on 11/16 for the THIRD program. Now I would have to send it in for the THIRD time to hopefully get it corrected once and for all.

***Mike has been very helpful with getting my shipping cost refunded and getting this problem put to bed. I hope this will be it for the problems. As Mike stated sending the chip back 2 or 3 times is too many, but so far superchips are standing behind their product.

I may have been frustrated and angry, but all of the facts were true. I simply posted this info to try to get help and/or insight from other superchip users.

I was going to give up on superchips, but after speaking with Mike today I figured I would give them one more try.

I will keep everyone posted on the outcome. Good Luck and happy thanksgiving.

ROB

------------------
99.5 Red Lightning #1652
Superchip, 13.614 1/4 @ 103.17 mph
Red Rhino Liner

Old 11-23-1999 | 07:41 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear H8 2 W8,

They'll get you up and running, without this problem in the future. Jay is certain of what is going on, so it's going to be an easy fix. Hopefully, that will take care of this for *both* of us! As I mentioned to you today on the phone, we just want you up and running, just like you do.

Have a great Thanksgiving,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 11-24-1999 | 02:14 AM
Thumbs up

Have to say here that usually the people that are the loudest are usually the ones that are unhappy about something. I'm sorry that Rob has the problem with his SuperChip, but the GREAT majority of us that have ordered have had no problems. It also seems that when there was a problem Mike has taken care of it.....to me that is the best way to have satisified customers. Rob I hope you get your problem chip corrected and then count yourself as one of the many satisifed customers of Mike's. I know I am......later...

------------------
TybeeC5
99 Red Lightning #1134
95 Blk Lightning #0737
99 Red C5
87 Red C4
tpetrea@worldnet.att.net

Old 11-24-1999 | 01:16 PM
I can vouch for Mike T. and Superchips customer service. Had a problem with my chip, Mike said Superchips would solve it, and tho' it took two tries, they did. And I've been a happy camper since.

------------------
Cam

'98 F-150 SC XLT, 4.6L, Bright Red, Red Spray-in Liner, Extang Soft Tonneau, Ford Bug Deflector, Airaid FIPK, Vortex "Cherry Bomb" Muffler, Chrome Exhaust Tip, Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks (and they *do* perform) Superchipped at last! (and WOW!)

Future Mods:
a)Limited slip
b)Running Boards

Old 11-24-1999 | 02:23 PM
Former Sponsor
It's nice to hear from everyone! Thanks for your posts & comments, Tybee & Crazy C.

We'd like to wish *everyone*, the participants and Webmaster of F150online, a happy and safe Thanksgiving holiday.

Preparing to stuff myself,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Superchip Problems!!!!!!!!!