Lightning

Hey, Sal

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-1999 | 06:15 PM
|
Question Hey, Sal

At the moment I haven't made any performance modifications to my '99 Lightning because I'm kinda waiting to see what all the aftermarket is going to come up with first. One modification that I'm absolutely going to have to have, though, are those 4 valve heads; I just love the way they look. I read enough to know that I'm looking at big bucks 'cause I know they aren't cheap. But when installing the 4 valves, what other modifications are usually required? Will I need another intake? How about the injectors, will they have to be replaced, too? When replacing the heads, I also want to get a chip and the K&N filter asy. I also want a good set of headers, and I know that I will need some mods to my exhaust system. Will the increase in performance I will realize with the installation of the 4 valves be worth the money? I know of no one that I would trust to make these modifications because I realize they will void my warranty, so I want to ensure that the work is done right the first time. Where would you suggest I go, I live in northwest Louisiana. I was thinking about driving up to Canada next Spring and letting Sean Hyland do the work for me because I know that he specializes in mod motors. Being a trucker, I've been to Canada many times and the length of drive doesn't imtimidate me at all. Been there, done that! I addressed this post to you because of your experience with the Lightnings and you seem to know what you are talking about. Oh, BTW, I will be using my Lightning strictly for the street, although I might make an occasional trip to the strip. Thx

Old 11-25-1999 | 06:31 PM
Hey Bob, Sal here. In my opinion, this kind of modification is mainly a "wow, look at that" kind of mod. I really don't think you'll see a huge gain from using the 4v heads. As far as what you will have to change, besides the heads, you will need custom headers and cat pipe, custom lower intake manifold, new timing chain assemblies and cover, possible ignition changes, and several other small changes. Also, it is a good possibility that the blower won't clear the hood, which if I recall, is one of the main reasons it wasn't used on the Lightning. As for doing the work, if you're willing to drive it to NY, I would be more than willing to take on the task, and since I work at a Ford dealer, I have easy access to the parts. I would like to mention that it will take quite some time, and cost quite a bit of money, but I can't see anything having more of a shock value that opening the hood of a 99 Lightning and seeing a blown 4V motor If you are interested, please E-mail me privately at my E-mail - PowerSurgePerf@aol.com

------------------
SAL
13.35@103mph
All stock with PSP 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit

Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

Old 11-26-1999 | 12:41 AM
Banned
Sal, Whats the price estimate you would give this kid? I live only about 2 hours away *Big Grin* I have gotta get my money together and get a chip & filter from you.

I've got one quick question off this topic. I currently have the full Zaino kit, and I'm having problems pre cleaning the paint. I picked up some Meguiar products. Body cleaner, Paint Cleaner, and Polish. I've tried to get the flaws out of the clear coat, but I've done a poor job. Any advice? My beasty is black.

Thanks for answering so many questions on this board Sal,

Metallic Blue

------------------
Death called while you were out, so I gave him your pager number.
  • 1999.5 Black SVT Lightning
  • (Lowered by Roush soon)
  • (Filter charger kit soon)
  • (Many mods coming soon)
  • (I could keep doing this all night could'nt I)
  • CD Changer,
  • Tonneau Cover,
  • Class III Tow Hitch.
http://www.angelfire.com/ct/pontiacmuscle/contact.html

http://www.angelfire.com/ct/pontiacmuscle/mycar.html

[IMG]

Old 11-26-1999 | 01:11 AM
What kind of flaws? The best thing to do if you have problems with the clearcoat, is to have the truck professionally wheeled out, and then start fresh with the Zaino stuff, starting with the Pre-lok. Chuck that Maguires stuff, it's junk compared to the Zaino products, and the Zaino stuff are designed to work with each other. I have been using the Zaino stuff on my 99 since new, but it's getting to the point where it needs a clay job. As for the 4V job, I haven't come up with a number, but off hand it would probably be a couple thousand.

------------------
SAL
13.35@103mph
All stock with PSP 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit

Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

Quick Reply: Hey, Sal