Lightning

Lightning trans and diff. info.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-1999 | 01:12 AM
|
Question Lightning trans and diff. info.

Could someone tell me what transmission and rear end the Lightning has in it and how it differs from what is in the Expedition. Is the Lightning transmission really "heavy duty" or does it just have better pcm programming? (trying to figure out what it will take to make a "Lightning Expedition")

Mike

Old 11-25-1999 | 01:25 AM
Cool

The stock Lightning rear end is a standard 3:55. The transmission, however, is beefed up using the guts from the F-250 powerstroke diesel transmission. The internals on the 5.4L engine are also beefed up to handle the increased torque generated by the Eaton "roots" blower.

------------------
1999 Black Roush-Lowered Lightning - w/Super Chip (YEEEOW!), JBA Headers, F-1 Cobra hood, Power Surge air kit, CD Changer, Towing Package,Grey Rhino, clear corner lenses.

[This message has been edited by sixpipes (edited 11-25-1999).]

Old 11-25-1999 | 01:45 PM
Hey guys, Sal here. Those aren't SVT part numbers, they are Ford part numbers. Ford has switched to a new part number system, which doesn't work like the old system. As for the rear and trans, the rear is a 9.75 inch ring gear with Traction-Loc limited slip differential. Unlike the older Lightnings that had heavier rears than regular F-150s, I beleive the new Lightning uses the same parts as the regular 9.75. The Expedition has two rear end options, the 8.8, and the 9.75. If you have the 9.75, it should be the same. The story behind the tranny is actually quite false. The Lightning doesn't use the Powerstroke tranny, it's the other way around. The new Lightning was supposed to be released in early 98, but the current E4OD couldn't handle the torque of the new powerplant. The 4R100, which is a modifed E4OD, was developed to handle the power of the new Lightning in 98. Then it was introduced into the PS desiel because of it's ability to handle massive torque. Since the PS trucks came out before the Lightning was ready, the misconception is that the Lightning got it's tranny from the PS

BTW Mike O, is this the same Mike that E-mailed me not too long ago about building a Lightning Expedition? I thought I answered all these questions already...

------------------
SAL
13.35@103mph
All stock with PSP 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit

Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

Old 11-26-1999 | 12:27 AM
Wink

Hey Mike, I have my diff.all apart on the shop floor. The first thing I saw was the brake rotor has a svt part # XL14-..not a production # like F7 or F8..-.. So IM thinking it's not the same as the EXP.I do know the same 9.75 ring&pinion gears fit as the 4:10s are finally in, and making good tooth pattern! The trans. is a 4R100,same as the H.D.Diesel,but with one extra clutch plate in each drum.One last thing,the last time I saw a axle shaft this large in dia. was in the old Hemi Cuda's (dana 60 stuff). I dont think anyone will be breaking a axle here!

------------------
JIGAWATT SVT#2698

Old 11-26-1999 | 12:43 AM
|
Question

Are you saying the it has on more clutches than the Powerstroke or the Expy?

Mike

Old 11-26-1999 | 01:33 PM
The way I understood it, the transmission is a regular F-150 case with PowerStroke guts. This unit is built and programmed special for the Lightning.

As for the rear end - the right shock (damper) mounts are reversed to help control wheel hop. My '97 Lariat was a hippity-hopper. The Lightning is MUCH better.

Old 11-26-1999 | 02:31 PM
Exclamation

Wheel hop is also less due to all 5 leaves of the spring being engaged all the time. Thus the spring does not have a sudden increase/decrease in stiffness.

------------------
99 Black Lightning
Rhino liner
Superchip

Quick Reply: Lightning trans and diff. info.