Lightning

Big Thanks to JDM

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005 | 03:57 PM
|
Big Thanks to JDM

Originally Posted by Struck in AZ
22hp with the addition of a cat-back??? This I've got to see...
Struck in AZ How can you make a statement like that when you have know Idea what mods I have done to my Lightning . AND if you read closely it says AROUND 435.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by mjg11; 09-27-2005 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-27-2005 | 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Unoid
I knew slowsvt liked women

So do I

Old 09-27-2005 | 05:25 PM
22hp with the addition of a cat-back??? This I've got to see...
Ask Rob02 how much his single hurt him. At these power levels you do have to step up the exhaust. It makes a difference.

Old 09-27-2005 | 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by mjg11
Struck in AZ How can you make a statement like that when you have know Idea what mods I have done to my Lightning . AND if you read closely it says AROUND 435.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay...AROUND 22hp. This I've still got to see! How can I make a statement like that you ask...I've personally done close to 130 dyno pulls on a Lightning (that would be my '01) on the same dyno testing each and every mod that I've done to it (with a minimum of three runs per mod to ensure accuracy). And before you ask, I'm putting down ABOUT 425 hp and I've even got a Silver Bullet on it. What was the Silver Bullet worth you ask...exactly 2.2hp and 7.1 ft.-lbs. at peak. And this was on a truck with 6 lbs. added boost, a JDM Superchip, a BaBolt SBTB, JDM electric fan and the infamous 'Cobra R' water pump. But I've apparently got no basis for my disbelief...

I've got no problem with JDM or any of the other vendors that I've dealt with (and as you can tell I'm not adverse to buying things from Jim) but it pains me to see claims of ABOUT 22hp with a cat-back. Unless your existing muffler is corked I'd be hard-pressed to believe the claim without seeing some proof. Since 20 hp is a routine increase see if they'll pro-rate the cost of the Silver Bullet based upon final power numbers (i.e, 10 hp and you pay 50% of the price, 15 hp and you pay 75% of the price, etc.)...

Last edited by Struck in AZ; 09-27-2005 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-27-2005 | 06:04 PM
|
Okay...AROUND 22hp. This I've still got to see! How can I make a statement like that you ask...I've personally done close to 130 dyno pulls on a Lightning (that would be my '01) on the same dyno testing each and every mod that I've done to it (with a minimum of three runs per mod to ensure accuracy). And before you ask, I'm putting down ABOUT 425 hp and I've even got a Silver Bullet on it. What was the Silver Bullet worth you ask...exactly 2.2hp and 7.1 ft.-lbs. at peak. And this was on a truck with 6 lbs. added boost, a JDM Superchip, a BaBolt SBTB, JDM electric fan and the infamous 'Cobra R' water pump. But I've apparently got no basis for my disbelief...

I've got no problem with JDM or any of the other vendors that I've dealt with (and as you can tell I'm not adverse to buying things from Jim) but it pains me to see claims of ABOUT 22hp with a cat-back. Unless your existing muffler is corked I'd be hard-pressed to believe the claim without seeing some proof. Since 20 hp is a routine increase see if they'll pro-rate the cost of the Silver Bullet based upon final power numbers (i.e, 10 hp and you pay 50% of the price, 15 hp and you pay 75% of the price, etc.)...
So now you ASSUME evey LIGHTNING IS EXACTLY THE SAME KNOW MATTER WHAT THE MODS ARE . BECAUSE YOU GOT 2.2 HP NOBODY CAN EXPECT ANYMORE

Old 09-27-2005 | 06:13 PM
So now you ASSUME evey LIGHTNING IS EXACTLY THE SAME KNOW MATTER WHAT THE MODS ARE . BECAUSE YOU GOT 2.2 HP NOBODY CAN EXPECT ANYMORE
You know I actually went back and re-read my post to find out where I said you can expect to gain exactly 2.2hp and no more and I'll be damned if I can't find it. I believe my use of the word 'exactly' was in reference to the results that I saw and I still can't find any inference that would lead one to believe that you will also see exactly 2.2hp. I'll say this slowly so follow along with me...I would be willing to bet that a simple cat-back swap doesn't provide a gain of ABOUT 22hp. Do I think you'll only see 2.2hp? Not particularly...might see more or you might see less since, as you so eloquently pointed out, not all trucks are equal. Do I think you'll see a ten-fold increase in what I saw? Not a chance unless, as I previously mentioned, your current muffler has corks in it. Let me know what you do get as I'd love to be proven wrong.

Old 09-27-2005 | 06:48 PM
|
Big Thanks to JDM

Okay...AROUND 22hp. This I've still got to see! How can I make a statement like that you ask...I've personally done close to 130 dyno pulls on a Lightning (that would be my '01) on the same dyno testing each and every mod that I've done to it (with a minimum of three runs per mod to ensure accuracy). And before you ask, I'm putting down ABOUT 425 hp and " I've even got a Silver Bullet on it. What was the Silver Bullet worth you ask." ".exactly 2.2hp " and 7.1 ft.-lbs. at peak. And this was on a truck with 6 lbs. added boost, a JDM Superchip, a BaBolt SBTB, JDM electric fan and the infamous 'Cobra R' water pump. But I've apparently got no basis for my disbelief...

FIRST I would like to state this simply started out as a post to THANK JDM AND THERE INTIRE STAFF FOR THE GREAT JOB THEY DID FROM THE SECOND I WALKED IN THE DOOR . As for STUCK in AZ I guess you are the resident expert . You shuold realy read what you wrote . Becuase you said EXACTLY 2.2 HP. But I GUESS YOU ALREDY FORGOT WHAT YOU WROTE MAYBE YOU THOUGHT GAINED 2.2 BUT IT REALY WAS 22 HP . MAYBE YOU JUST FORGOT

Old 09-27-2005 | 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by JimIII@jdm
Big single mufflers like the Magnaflow catback will cause the exhaust system to bottle neck and create lower power numbers. This is what Mike had, when he changes to a silverbullet we should easily pick up about 20 HP. Seen it plenty of times. The Magnum, KB, ported blowers, are all moving more air so they need to exit it better. Not to mention the sound of the Silver bullet!

JimIII

You've def got my attantion Jim, I happen to have a Flow Master American Thunder SINGLE MUFFLER Cat Back, hmmmmm 20HP more would be nice, and if I added the Electric Fans and a few other little things, maybe I'd be closer to where I belong........
THANKS

Old 09-27-2005 | 08:34 PM
FIRST I would like to state this simply started out as a post to THANK JDM AND THERE INTIRE STAFF FOR THE GREAT JOB THEY DID FROM THE SECOND I WALKED IN THE DOOR . As for STUCK in AZ I guess you are the resident expert . You shuold realy read what you wrote . Becuase you said EXACTLY 2.2 HP. But I GUESS YOU ALREDY FORGOT WHAT YOU WROTE MAYBE YOU THOUGHT GAINED 2.2 BUT IT REALY WAS 22 HP . MAYBE YOU JUST FORGOT
You 'shuold realy' work on your grasp of what I said... And I quote, "What was the Silver Bullet worth you ask...exactly 2.2hp and 7.1 ft.-lbs. at peak. And this was on a truck with 6 lbs. added boost, a JDM Superchip, a BaBolt SBTB, JDM electric fan and the infamous 'Cobra R' water pump." Unless your truck has the exact same mods an intelligent individual would infer that they're not going to see exactly the same 2.2hp. For the third time, and I'll type really, really slow for you, I'd like to see a cat-back give you 22hp. That's twenty-two with no decimal point in there. And I've got the WinPep files and printouts from all of my dyno runs and there's still a decimal point in mine, which according to the rules of math yields 2.2hp.

I've never said anything about Jim or the gang at JDM and, again as previously mentioned, have heard good things about them and still own several of their parts. Some of JDM's stuff is of what I consider to be higher quality than that offered by other vendors (their e-fan comes to mind) and some of it seems to be marginal value for the price (phenolic spacer comes to mind). I've got no issue with JDM and wouldn't hesitate to buy stuff from them again but I've got my doubts about the claims for their cat-back. As I mentioned again, let me know how many hp it gives you...buy it and prove me wrong. I've been wrong before and it'll happen again, so infer whatever you will from my previous posts (right, wrong or indifferent) and let's see what you ultimately end up with.

Last edited by Struck in AZ; 09-27-2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2005 | 01:22 PM
Struck,

Did you go from the stock exhaust to the SB? As you said catbacks don't normally add much over the stock exhaust unless you are heavily modded.

Rob,

I don't know much about the American Thunder single Flow but the single Flowmaster (just muffler) I had installed years ago was a restrictive POS. I bet you could gain 22 HP going from the Flow I had to the SB, LOL.

At WOT my single Flow hissed like an air nozzle on the end of an air hole.

Old 09-28-2005 | 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by LTNBOLT
Struck,

Did you go from the stock exhaust to the SB? As you said catbacks don't normally add much over the stock exhaust unless you are heavily modded.
Yep...

Old 09-28-2005 | 07:38 PM
Must we turn every post into a pissing match gentlemen?
The guy merely wanted to post how much he enjoyed his experience with JDM - now can we leave it at that please.

Old 09-28-2005 | 07:41 PM
AMEN

Old 09-28-2005 | 07:47 PM
I DONT KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT

anchorman anyone?

Quick Reply: Big Thanks to JDM