Lightning

Cat replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005 | 09:04 AM
|
Cat replacement

Newbie question...
In the UK we tend to remove catalytic convertors on performance cars for the obvious benefits. Can't seem to find any threads on the subject on this forum. Are the emission laws in the states rigidly enforced so no-one uses cat replacement pipes (ie. plain pipe - not free flowing cats)?
If you do use plain cat replacements, can someone point me to a thread on the subject please?
Cheers
Paul

Old 09-27-2005 | 09:39 AM
From what I understand of the Lightning engine, you can not just go to a straight pipe on a stock engine, the engine needs back pressure, to make the engine and supercharger work at its optimum. Free flowing cates with good muffler would work, but no need to do that for performance till you start going over 500...

Check out Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords Web site (I think they did a test on the exhaust)
& you also can check “Ford Truck World” Web site as well…

Old 09-27-2005 | 10:22 AM
|
Thanks for the info.

So, what are the most common first mods then?

Chip?
Airbox?
Boost control? (don't know how that works on a supercharger. I know how it works on Skyline turbo's!)

Old 09-27-2005 | 10:36 AM
The 1st thing I see that most people do is Pulley/airbox/chip/exhaust upgrade, but make sure the run it on a dyno… After that you start getting into the heavy mod’s upgrading supercharger and reinforcing the rest to handle the new power. This winter I will be doing some heavy research on what will not void my warranty. Till then I have to be careful… Good luck and keep your profile and pic’s updated so we can see your progress… P.S. Skyline’s rock…

Jeramie

Quick Reply: Cat replacement